1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you come out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by faultyink, Apr 10, 2016.

1. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm just wondering! It will be fun to see the answers. :grin:

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A badly worded facebook post that I should really rewrite and repost

3. lovetoomuch

I came out to my parents by letter exactly 3 months ago from today actually. It was a decently sized letter that expressed how I felt about the whole thing; it talked about my denial for most of my teen years and now finally starting to accept myself. They took it decently, but I am still dealing with some awkwardness and denial on their part.

All the friends I came out to were by telling them in person or text. All my friends so far have been very supportive; I am planning to tell my other friends this summer.

After that, I really don't care who finds out; I assume most people will find out through word of mouth.

4. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I come out each and every day as I hold my wife's hand as we walk through disneyland or I put my arm around her at the movie theater. I pave the way with my boldness so future generations won't be stared at and the young will see strength not fear.

5. Cedar

I "officially" came out in Feb of this year on Facebook, a week after my mum disowned me. I initially wanted to come out to her first before everyone else since we were close and I was hoping to share the experience with her. Unfortunately, she did not share that sentiment with me and instead of working it out she basically told me that I have mental issues since I never "showed my transgenderness" when I was little. Apparently she believes that trans people do "exist" but only when they start transitioning as children. Though I do feel better that I came out, I finally feel like I can finally transition. I know that I didn't need to wait for anyone's approval(or disapproval) but now I finally feel like I can move on with my life in a direction that I want it to go. Sorry if this post turned into a bit of a rant...

6. guitar

Initially in person to a few friends, my bro, then my mom and a few weeks later my day. It culminated with a facebook post and mass email to my remaining friends and family members.

7. Robishere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm only only out to some of my close friends! Fortunately, they were all fun experiences.

The first two people I came out to, I did over text. Both of them spammed my phone with extremely positive messages.

The third person I came out to, was to my amazing friend in the school library. We both took virtual classes and sat next to each other. We used this one site to chat because you're not really supposed to talk in a library. I told her that I had something to tell her through the chat, then rolled my chair closer to her so I could actually use my own voice to do it for once. I couldn't find the words I needed to say; it literally felt like I lost all control of my tongue. After saying "I'm" about 5 times, she started guessing. She guessed something first, but I can't recall what it was. Then she jokingly said "You're gay" and I nodded. She didn't believe me at first, but once I put her hand on my heart which was beating at the speed of light, the look on her face was priceless! The same thing happened with the next friend I came out to.

Then after months of silence, the perfect time to come out to my best guy friend came. We were at our friend's birthday get-together. A couple of us were there early, so to kill time we decided to play LIFE, the board game. There's a mandatory spot in that game where you HAVE to get married to continue with the game (if you didn't know, the game pieces are little men and women that ride in a car). As each person's time to get married came, my friend (the third person I came out to) would hand out game pieces of the opposite sex. However, when my turn came to get married (I was the last one because I cheated in order to land one step before the marriage spot :grin:), she passed me the box that held all the game pieces, letting me choose whether I would choose a male or female spouse. With my hand shaking uncontrollably, I grabbed a male piece and put it in my little car. When I lifted my hand my friend was like "Wait, what?" and I just gave him a reassuring nod. He left me off with an "Oh ok." and we continued the game as if nothing had happened. My favorite experience so far! :thumbsup:

That's all (!)

#7 Robishere, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  8. Kellian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    By letter a year ago, I think I still have it. It was four pages long (plus some info on transgender teens). I talked about how I always wanted to be a male, but never knew there was a word for it, until a few months earlier. Yeah, that didn't work very well.

9. Ryujin

To school, some idiots spread it around. Oh well.

To parents, a letter left on the bed. That went down wonderfully.

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Through text or people asked me...I thought this one girl I work with today was going to ask me and my heart was pounding because I really don't like to talk about it.

11. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I first came out to a girl that had an awkward crush on me and eventually confessed. I responded by saying, in an indirect way, that I liked men.

Another friend of mine knew when I told him that my crush had recently made my day by changing his profile pic. He asked who it was and I told him.

The others (close friends or not that close) knew by either some comment of mine-''Woah he's so handsome''- or one of my friend's.

I never really came out ''officially'' though. No one on my family knows, along with some male friends.

#11 MCairo, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  12. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What you're doing is amazing! I hope everyone else does the same.

---------- Post added 10th Apr 2016 at 07:11 PM ----------

I love the way you came out with the board game!! THAT IS SUCH A GOOD IDEA!! I wish I had done that...

13. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Through a phone, in person and on xbox live. :slight_smile:

14. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In August 2015, I told a close friend via e-mail that I'm transgender. She was supportive of me.

Today, Sunday, April 10, 2016 CE, I told my brother in the morning, and then I told my parents while eating dinner. I recorded videos, but my dad then secretly confiscated the memory card of the camera I used. :slight_smile:dry:slight_smile: They were rather accepting, but it was definitely harder for my parents to accept me.

I then told another close friend (a classmate) online. He was very supportive and caring.

Over time, the situation with my parents will improve. I know that many people face much worse, so I am optimistic, and always will be! :icon_bigg

15. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I told my mom I was bisexual and she was like..."What took so long to tell me?!" Then my aunt walked in on Leslie and me ... getting frisky LOL. We finally told our friends and since then we've been out to everyone!

16. Simple Thoughts

Well to my dad and brother I was forced out of the closet.

Basically my brother invaded my privacy and found some rather naughty messages I'd been sending to someone >.>

He then forwarded that to my dad, and that began a lot of years of suffering for me so yay for that I guess.

As for most everyone else I got into a heated internet argument, and wound up getting so pissed off that I wound up coming out via facebook just to prove a point which is a very awkward way of coming out to say the least =P

17. Anjelyka

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was a tedious process. The first person I cam out to was my mom...

"Mom, I think I might be genderqueer." "Mom, I'm genderfluid." "Mom, I'm trans."

She really was like whatever about it until I said trans. Then she got angry and though she never got physical...she continually assaulted me with her words and emotions. It took it's toll on my health. I'm an emotional eater.

I've always had to hide being trans publicly because of enemies within my own family, otherwise I would have come out publicly a long time ago.

I've told the people I feel closest to and honestly that little bit is a weight off of my shoulders. I am grateful to be able to not have to burden it all alone.

Even more grateful for these forums.

18. yeahyeah

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I first told my friend when I was in high school. After a while, a lot of people knew in school. And after some time I told my mom because I felt I was lying to her and felt bad about it lol.

19. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I followed my dad to this place and it was 35 minutes one way and we just got home and I think im gonna take a nap after I eat lunch. I haven't even started my school work yet.

20. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A letter. Took me six months to write and six minutes for it to blow my life up.