1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as non-racist to racist family and friends

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Driftr

I'm wondering if people - at any point in time - who've come out as non-racist to a racist family or group of friends receive the same backlash (and I mean getting shunned, kicked out of homes or even worse, maybe even killed) as someone who comes out as gay to a homophobic family or group of friends.

Does anyone know, maybe from first hand accounts or from stories?

I'd imagine that coming out as gay would receive much more backlash but maybe I'm wrong. You never know these days with the amount of irrational hatred people have.

#1 Driftr, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I need to come out as non racist to my dad.......

But assuming you aren't saying racist stuff, it shouldnt be too big of a surprise :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't get why they'd shun you for not hating certain people? Unless they're part of westboro Baptist Church or something. I mean wouldn't it be the same as a hetero person telling their homophobic family that theyre not homophobic rather than a gay person coming out? What can you even say to insult someone that's not racist when they're not a minority race? You seem like you're stressing and over thinking way too much.

4. Aerin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My dad can sometimes say racist stuff, and when I fight him on it, he basically brushes me off. I don't think anyone would go so far as to kick you out.

5. SAYGEUR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Im actually quite surprised that there are people that are perfectly ok with labelling themselves as Racists.

Maybe its just my surroundings, but with the shaping modern world, why is that something to stand and be proud about?? If anything, im sorry that you actually have to come out and say that your not racist, I don't even see a remote reason why that's a thing to be proud of.

6. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    These coming out things are really getting out of hand. First of all, "coming out" implies it's something negative or at least well-disliked by society.

It's true whites are racist, but not in the traditional "lynch them!" mentality people usually ascribe to racism, and even if your parents are like that, there's nothing to "come out" to since your parents are the ones with the aberrations, not you.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they believe in racism, I don't see why not. It requires significant leaps of logic to embrace straight-up racism to begin with but people love little more than shortcuts that reduce the need to think.

#7 Argentwing, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  8. springroll

springroll Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been called racist before just because I don't support BLM movement. I can understand why reasonable people embrace that term, as in "Screw it! If holding a certain point of view made me a racist, then I'd rather be a racist than being dishonest with myself" You can thank the PC culture for that. Of course, your family might be actual racists, they just no longer care.

9. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Considering where I live it's quite common to see confederate flags waving everywhere and for sale in the local mall, I'd say coming out as a non-racist is still quite a big thing in some places.

"I'm sorry dad, I think the pointy hats are dumb and I think people should be treated fairly regardless of their skin color" I could say it in all seriousness but I imagine he'd flip his shit. :lol:

10. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is a really sobering read, I had no idea that racism was so common in some places (in 2016) that people felt they were outing themselves by NOT being racist.

I cannot comprehend this :frowning2:

11. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish I could say that any of this surprises me. But I've been shouted at for telling my mom that her racist views are wrong. She's proud to be a racist; I know because she's told me. She thinks minorities are overly sensitive and trying to take over the country. It's not even southern racism, we've always lived in the north. I wouldn't be kicked out for telling her point-blank that I'm not racist, but there would absolutely be fighting and I have little doubt that she'd shun me.

12. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If this thread has done one thing, it's caused me to gain a new appreciation for my family. I do not think I would do well having racist family members; I would chew them out and argue with them every time I saw them to the point where our relationship would inevitably be severed.