1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

real life/internet: better to meet new people

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bing, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Bing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, guys. I have a question about two different ways to meet new people.
    Some friend think meeting people in the real life is better, because we can see them, listen to them and feel them. So you can understand people better and learn more about them in a comprehensive way.
    But some argues internet is better. They believe people will be emotionally "disturbed" by other things(like appearance) and miss a chance to go deep with someone. Sometimes friends need to focus on spiritual communication and internet helps you on that point.
    Since most of us are cyber friends, so what do you think?

2. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Real life is better, the internet just provides more opportunities to meet other gay people.

3. Joelouis

In real life, we can see and hear the person whereas the internet you don't usually.

Pros and cons here:

So you meet someone online, you build up a mental image of them, putting a voice to the name and and visualise how they look.....and you can be taken aback and maybe disappointed if you then meet them in person.

You then meet another person in real life. You don't like the look of a certain feature or like how they speak etc, so you decide not to see them anymore.....but they might turn out to be the best mate/partner you could've hoped to meet and a little thing put you off them before getting to know them better.

The internet, I think, at least lets you speak to someone longer before you make a decision.

4. Aerin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would say real life is better, but online still gives you the chance to meet someone you normally wouldn't have otherwise. But I'd definitely rather go out and do stuff than only be able to hang out online.

5. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say in person, most of the time. However, the internet offers other opportunities for connection that, in "real life," are much harder to get. Such as finding people with similar interests to you or, as Dave pointed out, other gay people. Another big difference is the form of communication is mostly writing on the internet. This gives people who are better suited for writing (as opposed to speaking) a chance for connection.

And once you get to know someone well, provided they aren't internet liars, then who's to say that relationship can't move to "real life?" Ultimately the deepest relationships can only be formed with interpersonal connection, giving a sense of authenticity which transcends the capabilities of cyberspace.

Think about it: would you rather have a best friend who only exists on the internet, or one who you could hang out with and experience things together? Both can be meaningful, but which has more potential?

6. RedEyeFlash

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that meeting people on the internet is okay but I think it's still best to talk to them in person as soon as possible. Messaging for too long causes you to get a false sense of who they are. There's things about a person you just can't see when you're messaging them so your brain uses it's imagination to fill in the blanks and it just gives you false impressions.

7. EnchanterForest

I am no use, cause like I never judge people on their appearance. I just judge how they act around other and what they say. And then I just generally try to approach people and talk about stuff, and I can do the same in reality as well as the internet.

8. springroll

springroll Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm gonna go ahead and say internet. It allows you to be more vulnerable, talking about things you find awkward in real life. Then you meet the actual person, the key here is not to expect anything. The bond is already there, it takes sometime for it to resurface. I met my boyfriend online and we met up after a year of just chatting on facebook. Now I'm even more in love with him than before.

---------- Post added 13th Apr 2016 at 12:04 PM ----------

And who to say our online persona is fake...people are multifaceted

9. The internet is my personal favourite. For me, anyway. I don't have much friends in my town, and I don't intend to be friends with them unless I want my life to be one giant soap opera.

The Pro for online, is as simple as it gets; it's a wide network of people. You meet unique people everyday. You even meet people who will do anything for you, since a lot of cyber friends treat their friendships seriously. (I even had one stay at my house for two weeks from an older service I used. It was pretty hard to say goodbye when he went home. :icon_sad:slight_smile:

Obviously, the con is some of them can fake who they are and what not.

But, overall; Cyber - personally. I don't really care about who looks like what, who sounds like what, or who likes what. Respect is always the key. A lot of my friends on the internet have done so much to keep me happy too. :grin:

10. Dot Com

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I definitely think both have their upsides. I can't say that I have a preference, but I think online can offer something real-life can't and vice-versa!

For instance, I find that opening up to someone I meet online is much easier and more comfortable than someone I meet in real life. However, meeting in real life helps you get a better grip of the person to see if you can be compatible, and it's harder to do that online.

It totally depends on the person, but I think I love both equally :slight_smile:

11. Bing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not just appearance, like different lifestyle, different habits (I think habit is important when we decide whether to make friends with someone).
    One friend gave me her idea why internet is better. In real life, we may not be able to show the real self that could be weak, dark, odd (in some aspect) and quite different from what you have shown to others in real life. For example, sometimes people lie online because they want to be another one. Sickly children call themselves supuremen/ sports stars,"mother's boy" says lots of dirty words, or "good man" acts in a selfish way... What's more, you can consult some private questions or sensitive topics. Meeting new people online makes people focus on talking and communication.

---------- Post added 13th Apr 2016 at 06:46 PM ----------

Right, I think that's very important to know more about each other before to make a decision.

---------- Post added 13th Apr 2016 at 06:51 PM ----------

Wow, best wishes for you and your bf. Be happy!