1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How important is someone's weight to you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kodo, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Out of curiosity, how important is weight to you? Whether it be your own or someone else, such as a partner. I know that different body types are attractive to different people, and sometimes we place unnecessary standards on ourselves in this regard. Thoughts?

2. Jellal

The number doesn't matter for me, but I am very shallow, so the body type still does.

If someone's heavy because they're super built, I'm all for it.

I am not typically attracted to people who are heavy from pudginess.

EDIT:

Oh, and light-weight people frighten me, because I think they are haunted.

#2 Jellal, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally its important to me to keep a good self image because I am very self contious so I try to be as skinny as possible but if the person was just a little chunky I don't think it would matter.

4. Cedar

Physical attraction for me can be difficult, I have to really connect with the person before I notice their physical attributes but I do notice that body type doesn't really matter much to me. Though I don't think I have enough experience in that realm to really put forth anything.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not important, as long as the person is taking care of them self.

6. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For me, I'm not that picky on weight, although I do draw a limit. However, if I get an emotional connection with the person, then it's much easier for me to be sexually attracted to them.

7. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Anything that's healthy really. Some people are naturally more chubby or more skinny and you can see that it suits them when you see these people. And they are really attractive this way. However, people who diet all the time and seem a bit drawn or anxious about their weight all the time, and people who are obviously significantly overweight and do not understand the big changes they need to make themselves to fix that (or put themselves in the same category as the cute natural chubbies), I am not attracted to. And yeah as someone mentioned, weight can also be down to muscle. In fact muscle is heavier than fat. So the number has no meaning to me. Muscle is good.

#7 SHACH, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  8. EnchanterForest

Meh, it don't really matter. As long as they are trying to be the best person they can be, and like I will try and help them in anyway possible. But for me it take a long time to actually feel attracted to them in anyway and to actually trust them, no matter who they are.

9. SAYGEUR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really mind as much, since I have a heap of issues with keeping my pudginess down, and I barely A) eat as much as I used to and B) rarely eat junk food, but my weight just doesn't come off ever.

So if someone is trying to look after themselves as well that they possibly could, but just couldn't lose the weight, I would be fine

(oh and also if the person was super awesome and nice, that comes before anything really)

10. ThatRangerGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

What about people who CAN'T be a healthy weight The majority of overweight people (certainly not all though) have health conditions that are themselves the problem, and nothing they can do will change that. Sometimes it's even prescribed medications they can't go without that are causing the wait gain. These people would do most anything to be a healthy weight, and yet they will never achieve it. It seems very insulting to me to ignore these facts.

#10 ThatRangerGirl, Apr 17, 2016
  11. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty sure that isn't true - unless you count over-eating as a health condition.

Anyway, it's reasonably important, but not extremely important. I'm an active person who enjoys running and strength training so it'd be nice if any person I end up dating would be able to partake.

12. ThatRangerGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I can guarantee it is true. I have a friend with a lot of health problems and she ezcerises many hours a day, every day, and eats right but she can't stop gaining, albeit slowly. On the other hand my dad can drink 3 cokes and eat fast food every day and be thin as a post.

13. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm generally not attracted to very skinny people. I'm more attracted to people who are either normal weight or overweight/obese. So, it's a little important to me. As long as a person is happy with themselves and takes care of themselves, I really don't mind

14. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For myself? Not sure if this would affect my weight, but I'd like to cut down the amount of salty and sugary foods I eat. I'm a normal weight so it's just the diet I need to fix now.

For others? Don't care what they do as long as it's not abusing yourself or others [I've heard of parents who starve or force feed their children, which is not okay]

To date? I've found myself to be generally attracted to people of normal weight.

Importance? On a scale of 1 being least and 10 being the most. Probably 6.

Additional comments? I really don't like this double standard where it's okay to prefer overweight/obese people, but not skinnier people. I get there's health issues involved, but some people are skinny due to medical conditions or anorexia, so that's the opposite end of the scale. I also get this is sometimes trying to counter-act societies normative standards, but why replace it with new ones - especially since it could be just as harmful [?].

#14 Secrets5, Apr 17, 2016
  15. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I consider myself to be pretty active, and a pretty big health nut, and I think that as long as a potential partner could keep up with me, there shouldn't be any problem. This of course, isn't so much weight-dependant as it is health-dependant.

I think that, sexually I lean a bit more towards leaner people, but it really is more about the person themselves than my initial attraction to them.

I think this is a very interesting point to bring up, and one that's not very often addressed. I don't really want to add much to what you've said, other than putting down smaller bodies to rejoice in bigger bodies tends to be what flies as "body positivity" these days, and I don't really get it.

Changing who we look to in the media as a "normal" body type does not teach people to appreciate their body. It's just empowering one specific demographic (which is very good, of course, as it is an underrepresented demographic). I just wish all these campaigns were more of "appreciate your body no matter what it looks like" and less of "this type of body type is okay! Feel good about this type of body".

16. LoveMeLez

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ive always been attracted to women with curves and or bigger women. I am a bigger woman myself. So, weight is not a concern for me of course.

17. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Weight is important to me. All thoughout my childhood I had an obese mother (she's since lost a ton of weight but suffers health problems from her years of obesity); it caused me to become preoccupied with weight. I'm very skinny, borderline underweight, and I've tried to maintain it for years, always worried that I might end up like my mom, even though I've been skinny my entire life. The fear is somewhat irrational, but the idea of weighing more than I do now terrifies me.

18. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well then I wouldn't be attracted to them. That was the question, wasn't it? Whether I'd be attracted to them. I said nothing insulting. If its medication that's killing their metabolism and making them gain weight, then yeah, that's a problem and there's not much that can be done. However, to say the MAJORITY of overweight people have a medical reason is simply false. Overweight people are generally less healthy because they are often essentially malnourished, so yes, they often have plenty of medical problems. Some of them will claim these cause their weight when it is logically the other way round.

I had a friend who was very overweight. She said one day the doctor had discovered she was lactose intolerant and this was causing her weight. But she would still after that often have things with milk in when she felt like it. Either she had no direct problem with dairy, just an unbalanced diet that she needed to fix, or she was ignoring her reactions - in which case it is just her fault. She also cut down her eating generally but when we really questioned her she was saying she ate half a blueberry muffin in the morning and that's all... why a muffin? WHY? No wonder she had all sorts of fungal problems that she had to medicate - your immune system cannot survive on carbs alone. And then would you say that a medicine she needed to take for that which has an effect on her metabolism was the cause of her weight? NO.

I do have sympathy for those with genuine medical problems. My mother has large thyroids in her womb, something that was never caused by her weight - they were stimulated to grow by giving birth to me. She also takes a lot of medicine for this reason, and to keep up her health as a cancer survivor, some of which does effect her weight. She eats a fully balanced diet full of fruit and veg, loves green smoothies, does not drive at all - she walks everywhere, does heavy digging on our allotment, works out every morning etc. despite being ANEMIC (a lack of iron in the blood that causes an extreme lack of energy if you don't know - this was also something that she had for a long time when she was a healthy weight and was amplified byt my birth). She is overweight. But she is not severely overweight to the point where that alone effects her health significantly. She is definitely nowhere near obese. By your logic she should be obese with the amount of health problems she have that effect her weight, size and energy levels. But she isn't because she started from a healthy weight, and she has a good lifestyle.

Therefore, I accept that people have conditions that can severly effect their weight. However, I can absolutely say that the majority of overweight people I have ever met, whether they claimed medical reasons or not, had real reasons rooted in their lifestyle. People like my mother and your friend are few and far between, and are unfortunate.

#18 SHACH, Apr 17, 2016
  19. Lyr

Lyr Guest

my body is not perfect, I have forms and I am not proud of my weight , so I don't judge people by their appearance, the weight of a person does not define whom it is ^^

20. eternallyapril

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Body weight is extremely important to me, as I have an eating disorder. However, when it comes to another person's weight, it is not really important. I'm attracted to people that seem healthy, and if their weight is healthy for them (either under/overweight) then that is great.

The only thing that really scares me is people that are purposefully extremely underweight, because again, that reminds me a lot of the eating disorder that I am trying to get over.