1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powerpuff Girls Reboot Episode 5 Controversy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by renardjouerbass, Apr 20, 2016.

1. renardjouerbass

So, Cartoon Network started a reboot of PPG (not a great decision imo). I started watching the episodes and reading articles, and I found out that episode 5 premiered a 'trans unicorn' named Donnie who was born a horse but identifies as a unicorn.
    'This is awesome!', I thought. 'Cartoon Network is finally taking gender identity into account and showing younger audiences the possibilities and informing them on the topic.'
    This was all great until I watched the episode.
    My feelings toward this episode is hard to put into words, but this analysis post sums it up pretty much:

MissRobo - Now A Website! • steponlegosforfun: jitterbugjive: ...

I understand that a kids tv show has to have a plot and such, but how it was done is ridiculous. In conclusion, CN tried to address the topic of gender identity and failed horribly.

What are your thoughts?

2. Soundwave

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Zero feelings I just watch it for what it is.

3. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think "Powerpuff Girls" and "controversy" are words I can't take seriously on the same sentence.

#3 RawringSnake, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, that didn't take long now did it? :confused:

5. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yikes. Sadly, I'm honestly not surprised. The PPG reboot pretty much sealed its fate to have not that great messages when they announced that Miss Bellum wasn't going to be in the show because "that's not the kind of message they want to send". Meanwhile, Miss Bellum was one of the strongest characters in that show.

I haven't watched a whole episode of the reboot myself, but I've seen clips that I'm very...very disappointed it. This episode is a whole new level of disappointment though. Wow.

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have any interest in reboots of old shows. I liked Powerpuff Girls when I was a child but I don't see myself watching it now. Cartoon Network is a pile of crap these days too so I have no doubt they will/have ruined it beyond repair.

It doesn't surprise me that they decided not to include Miss Bellum this time around considering the number of Tumblr activists knocking around.

#6 imnotreallysure, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  7. arianemoon

Wow. I had heard there was an episode of PPG that deals with trans issues but this is horrible.

8. thepandaboss

See, why'd they really have to reboot PPG at all? Why not just rerun it? Was anyone clamoring for a reboot? All the kids who used to watch PPG back in the day are my age- they're in their 20s but they're too young to have kids of their own. Kids growing up now have stuff like Steven Universe and Star Vs. The Forces of Evil. They're not really that interested in watching older stuff.

I am sick to death of reboots. And so far, it doesn't even sound like the PPG reboot's really even that great of a reboot anyway. From the Bellum decision to this, they're really missing the mark. Even the animation looks super cheap. Not a fan.

9. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My thoughts? Arthur [PBS/CBBC] would be able to do this better. Okay, can't say for sure since I've watched Arthur for 10 years so I'm bias towards it and I've never watched PPG but what I do know about Arthur is they deal with things in a realistic way to what a child would understand. I mean, they start off with people not understanding, treating them differently [usually in a positive way] and then the character teach them what it's really about so the other characters can go back to treating them normally. Anyway, sorry I couldn't really comment on the main topic, but I offered something else. :slight_smile:

10. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know some people who don't like that episode because they feel they are talking more about trans-spieces and thus making fun of transgender people's issues. They could have used an actual person for transgender issues after all.

My problem with it was that I feel this is cartoon network trying to jump aboard the trans support wagon for profit and not to actually support the LGBT community.

As the reboot of PPG, I honestly don't like it. Mainly because they didn't even consider inviting the original voice actors back to revise their roles. Also, no one wanted a reboot when the original was fine all on their own. They should if just reruned it

11. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I heard a lot about that episode. They really really messed up.

12. presidentsophie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This disgusts me. I watched one episode of the reboot and thought it was okay and I l liked it. However, this completely changed my opinion. At first, I thought that it wasn't really representing a trans person and was just a story about a unicorn. However, the creators ADMITTED it was about being transgender. Trans people are not monsters. They're not mythology. They're people. Why don't they just include a trans character?! That's why SU is so good, because they JUST PUT LESBIANS IN THE SHOW. They aren't some unicorn monster freak thing. They are aliens, but they are in a loving relationship that any human could have. Why didn't they just add a trans character who was realistic? Come on PPG!!

13. renardjouerbass

Couldn't have said it better myself

14. KnucklesNation

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Personally I have no thoughts on it, because I knew this whole reboot would be an utter failure; but I just have to say that Hey Arnold would've rocked the hell out of an episode like this. It was always a great show that brought up topics like having an alcoholic parent, being neglected, embarrassed/humiliated, dealing with death, being an only child, etc. It was a very diverse show that knew how to sneak a message in without it being so obvious, I loved it! They even had a gay character on there that I wasn't aware of until recently.

15. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That. Is one of my biggest issues. I have so much salt about that. So. Much. Salt. Like, they brought back basically every other original VA, but not the ones for the girls? *flips table*

16. SAYGEUR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well in all honesty, the new reboot is just terrible as it is, and no im not saying that just out of "Oh its a reboot, I want it to be exactally like the old show again".

I feel like im watching another Regular Show, theres nothing wrong with that, but with an IP such as the Powerpuff girls, which is mainly remembered for being a quirky show about crime fighting cute little girls fighting huge monsters, changing it into this is just somewhat insulting, I mean if you look at animated shows at this moment, we have a lack of action shows at this current moment...

As Youtuber, Pan Pizza said, "Its not bad because its different, Its bad because it tries to recreate the old show, and does average, while anything new it does falls flat...It has nothing unique to add other than shoving in smart phones, twerking, and lingo that will be outdated in a few years."

So now knowing that this is a thing that happened as well, just makes it fall even more flat and angers me more than before.

I could continue to keep getting annoyed at it, but there's not much that can be done at this point. Hopefully it doesn't meet to expectations, and we can move on (I mean as well, it was not ok that they didn't even invite the original voice actors to come back, why????)

((Also reminds me anyone remember what the heck happened with Powerpuff girls Z?? I cant remember seeing it very much, but the little I did see seemed to be ok))

17. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know but it looks like something I would never want to watch.

18. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Powerpuff girls Z was an anime I thought? Not an actual Cartoon Network approves thing. I could be getting it mixed up with something else though. Just remember my brother going on bout it

#18 Matto_Corvo, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016