1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginner guitar

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ThetasTrust, Apr 22, 2016.

1. ThetasTrust

ThetasTrust Guest

Does anyone have any tips for some one beginning to play the guitar? I have no prior experience and I have both an acoustic and electric guitar (wanting to learn the electric but will do acoustic if easier).

If so thanks(*hug*)

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could ask one EC member whose username is guitar.

3. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

Are you teaching yourself or are you taking lessons?
    My best advice is to not rush. When you make a mistake, start over or play through. It might be frustrating at first but it's very rewarding when you learn how to play a song. You have to commit & you should practice everyday even if it's as little as 5-10 minutes.
    Your fingers will hurt if you play enough as a beginner but the skin on your fingers will get tougher so it won't hurt at all when you progress through the first stage.

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Are there beginner classes where you're at? Youtube is full of lessons, too.

Wait for it... :lol:

5. guitar

What, you think just because my name is guitar I know something about the instrument?!

Yeah, okay fine, I do :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

To the original poster, I would do some reading on Google about the basics of the guitar. What the strings are called, the parts and what they do. How to hold a pick, where to press with your left hand, etc.

There are a lot of amazing youtubers that have great lesson videos as well. Kim Mitchell's guitar lessons are a good place to start (he also happens to be my favorite guitarist :wink: )

Good luck!

#5 guitar, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  6. ThetasTrust

ThetasTrust Guest

Thanks I thought I might find you here. I'd be self teaching because I can't make time for lessons until I take the class during school.

Thanks for the help from all of you.