1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Question On Xenophobia/Prejudice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Invidia, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Woah, heavy topic, ah mah gahd. ^^ Well, I was just thinking about something... Do you think it's humanly possible not to be xenophobic or prejudiced in the slightest in any way or form? And I'm not saying this to be some kind of rally point where all xenophobes of the world can unite and talk about how it's okay to be xenophobic or whatever. I'm just kind of curious. I'm not what one would usually call a xenophobic person myself - I've often heard that I'm very open-minded and stuff - but then I asked myself, is there some way, any way, in which I am at least a tiny bit prejudiced? And my honest answer was that in least one case, yes, I am, a little bit. I would rather not mention what exactly because then a lot of people who read this will probably think I'm a horrible person, lol. But then again, why shouldn't I? It does rather make me a horrible person, doesn't it? Although I also have good points that counter that. So in the end I think maybe I'm not that morally deficient. Maybe talking about what small or major prejudices we have openly like this is a little embarrassing, but maybe it's also good to talk about it somehow, to get it out in the open and try to reason your way out of it rather than just keep it inside at a stalemate, or in worse cases, in a growing state.
    I've been babbling enough now. ^^ This is a topic I care about, as I hate xenophobia. Then again, my honest opinion is that while people can be xenophobic to varying degrees, and I wouldn't call anyone a xenophobe unless their prejudice(s) is/are quite severe, I think that maybe no one is completely and absolutely free from it.

2. Cornered

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, it is possible, if you weren't raised by humans because parents imprint their prejudices upon their children - eg, it is best to grow up like Tarzan ^w^

Idk, that's what I think XD

#2 Cornered, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Hmm... An epic return to the wilds... Sounds neat. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. justtired

justtired Guest

If you weren't raise by humans wouldn't that make you distrust all humans? (Or at least the ones that are not naked? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

5. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, we develop a need to exclude others as part of the process of identity construction. This happens at a fairly early age but at very young ages children don't have prejudicial tendencies. Certain developmental disorders that hinder identity construction also lead to lack of prejudicial tendencies. In fact, looking back, I only started to develop the need to exclude others at a much later age because of bein trans abd having ADHD, two conditions that make it harder to construct a stable identity. I couldn't even grasp the concept of exclusion and found it hard to seperate myself from other people.

The Lacanian concept of the mirror stage explains it quite well. According to the theory, at some point in development a child looks in the mirror and goes through a shift of consciousness in which they start perceiving themselves as seperate from those around them. Until then the child is connected to its mother and can't differentiate between themselves and her. This process of seperation gives the child the ability to construct an Ego and accordingly enables the ability to form more intimate relations with the people around the child through empathy. So prejudice is the cost of dveloping a sense of empathy as we inetinctively exclude those that we can't form an empathetic connection with. We also become more susceptable to being manipulated and influenced by others.

6. PrettyinPunk

I think it's possible. Personally I don't think I'm really prejudice or xenophobic. Not to imply I'm a saint, I'm far from it. When I see someone I try to never assume things about them, but because of how the human brain works and my own curiosity I do make judgements or guesses on how they appear/act. Its a logical thought process without the opinion that sometimes can be attached.

Example: I see a women at the store in a hijab and fully covered. I may think this women might be an or former immigrant, but she could be a native citizen too. She is most likely religious and proud to be so. Either that or she is proud culturally in the way of what she's wearing.

Cue end of thought process.

I do think how prejudice/xenophobic a person is, is heavily influenced by the people surrounding them, especially when they're young. Even as you get older and become more open minded it can be difficult to let go of preconceived ideas that have become normalized in your brain.

I love these kinds of discussions btw. Human nature, the psychology of it, moral theory, I could talk awhile about it.:slight_smile:

7. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Good examples! But would you say then, if you do make such assumptions, are you then really 100%, absolutely free from all forms of prejudice, no matter how minor?

8. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm probably one of the most open minded people in my area, yet I suppose I still do to a certain extent? I'll lose respect for someone automatically if I see them with a confederate battle flag, preaching about how we should be a theocracy or fundamentalism, swastikas, pretty much anything that is related to mass suffering. I hate their judgment with an almost inhuman passion, so I suppose in a way I to am judgmental in a sense. I'll admit I will silently jump to those conclusions until proven wrong with time and evidence.

9. Jellal

Someone with absolutely no prejudices or xenophobia whatsoever must be incredibly sheltered to have developed no biases from observation and experience.

10. PrettyinPunk

Again I don't assume, but I do make judgements. I'd have to, its part of how the human brain works to understand the world in which we live.

If we use this definition of prejudice-
    (1) : preconceived judgment or opinion (2) : an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge

Then no I don't feel I do this. Am I 100% sure I'm free from prejudice? Maybe not, I can't think of anything that comes to mind though.

What I do know beyond all doubt is that any person regardless of religion, origin, color of skin, sexual orientation, social class, race/ethnicity etc. should be judged by the quality of their person and for none of the previously mentioned things.

It may sound idealistic but hey I'm a dreamer!:thumbsup:

11. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly, no, I can't imagine anyone being completely unprejudiced. Maybe not so much xenophobic, but I think to some degree everyone has at least one very minor, kind of subconscious prejudice towards someone or some particular group of people, just based off of their respective cultures and/or the circumstances in which they live. Even people who try to be completely nonjudgmental of everyone, who may never even realize they have a prejudice.

I can't speak for everybody; hey, maybe somebody is out there with absolutely no prejudices. But I don't think it's likely. Every culture or society has their prejudices that rub off on the people who live it every day, even if said person is the least biased person on the planet. What matters is not letting said prejudice affect your actions towards said group of people and realizing that whatever your prejudice is, it's probably stupid and unfounded and there's probably no reason for it.

Except if the person/people you're prejudiced against is/are Nazis. Because fuck those guys. Totally legitimate prejudice against them; they've earned it.

#11 ThatBorussenGuy, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016