1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printed tops and t-shirts

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by luke564, Apr 30, 2016.

1. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was recently looking at my wardrobe and getting slightly down at how everything I wear is generally dark, grey, black or navy - and very very plain.

It never really bothered me before but even my ex commented on it a few times, I'm so unbelievably shy when it comes to wearing anything that might make me stand out I just have to buy plain clothes - it's crazy because even friends who wear similar things maybe have one bright thing in their wardrobe but I have none.

Then I kind of started thinking about tshirts and things that have slogans and big pictures printed on them, I realise that I'm so shy or nervous about the way I look I have never ever (ever) owned or worn anything with a print on in my life - and I don't know why but this kind of makes me feel a bit sad - it seems like the most normal thing for most people but I get really hung up on it, but because my brain has started doing strange things recently it's one of those things that got me wondering how id look and even FEEL wearing a printed top out in public, but it feels like such a strong statement that I don't know if I could ever do it, or even what I would wear.

I know this is probably making me sound weird, is there anyone else out there that also feels this way? With the weather getting warmer here in the uk I'm already seeing more people wear printed tees and stuff and I guess it just got me thinking I guess.

2. AlamoCity

I don't own any printed tees. Ok, that's not exactly true; I have several nice printed tees but I use them exclusively as undershirts or lounging in the house. I need a collar, whether a polo or Oxford shirt when I go out in public.

I would just tell you to start out with simple colored tees to get you used to having color in your wardrobe and then expand and add print shirts with kooky designs you like.

Personally, I don't get why people wear many printed tees. Then again, I own khaki pants with whales and American flags embroidered into them; pot, meet kettle.

3. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm the same with having to have a collar, but there's a part of me that also hates how boring that is.

I don't even know how to make that step to simple coloured tees, I don't even know if I want to, I don't think they'd suit me / but I'm this situation where my brain keeps making me wonder what it would be like.

4. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you are taking this waaay too seriously. It's just clothes, not a tattoo lol. You can just get one colorful/bright tee or shirt, wear it once, if you don't like it throw it away and that's that. I don't see why this has to be as life-or-death as you seem to thinks it is. I guarantee you most people won't even notice, and if they do, not many will remark on it. Point in case, the vast majority of my wardrobe is composed of vibrant tees with colorful designs and I don't notice much of a difference in the way people treat me from when, say, I wear plain black or white tees/shirts.

#4 RawringSnake, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  5. Embi

Embi Guest

I have/had the same problem. I guess the only printed clothing article I own that isn't from my childhood, is my graduation hoodie. But it's not that bad to only wear "boring" things, as you call them. I personally start to stop caring about what people think and I still try to update my warderobe to be completely black. Just because black is amazing.
    But if you want to wear different clothes, look for different shapes first, maybe colors that aren't extremely vibrant and slowly work your way to colorful, printed clothes. You don't have to change your style from one day to the other.
    Besides, most people won't care or will compliment you, when you wear something different. Maybe try wearing colorful stuff at home, so that you feel comfortable in them before you go out with them.

6. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess I'm included in this club too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The majority of my clothes are blue, then I have a bunch of black, grey stuff. I only have 1 neon shirt and a few red sweaters that I hardly ever wear. If people don't like what I wear they don't have to look at me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Kevin240

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you really want to experiment with color...or do you just think you should want to? I'm not exactly a fashion plate, and I don't wear printed tees because most of them seem silly. When I wanted to "diversify" my wardrobe, I started out with a drab army green lol. Then I got daring, and bought a shirt that was a couple shades lighter than navy. Small steps lol. I think you'd be really uncomfortable just all of a sudden going out in some bright printed shirt...if you really want this, try what AlamoCity said...one or two (conservatively) colored shirts.

8. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you want to feel exciting without standing out, my tip would be to wear pretty, fun underwear, which sounds weird, but it does feel good. As in, you feel more attractive and confindent without having to look like a flower display.

Alternatively, pretty and/or bright accessories rather than clothes might work!

#8 Gunsmoke, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  9. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wore nothing but printed T-shirts when I was a teenager, but I've come to find giant logos a bit tacky now (especially since I'm almost 25, I'm starting to feel too old for such shirts).

But just because you don't want to wear shirts with big logos doesn't mean you can't wear anything colorful.

For example, most of what I wear is colorful, but they aren't printed tees. I wear a lot of striped shirts, and those can be V-necks or Henleys...I also own a lot of colorful polos and work shirts. I love wearing bright colors and always have.

10. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel that way, too. I'm no great fan of printed t-shirts, either. I've got a few exceptions (my team jerseys and one t-shirt), but most of my shirts are just black or grey. Others might find it boring, but I like the way I look in said t-shirts, and that's all that matters.

11. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, I guess this all makes sense - I just get weird thoughts sometimes, that wonder how I'd look in that stuff - because well I don't know, I can't control the thoughts in my head! and I guess because I've never worn it I've become curious, like a lot of things.

Sometimes I wonder like, if I found myself at someones house, and my clothes got lost in luggage or something, and they had to borrow me their clothes - how I might look in completely different stuff, or someone else who doesn't know me, would decide a style for me based on the way I look - does anyone else ever think about that?