1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vegan milk makes me sick?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PrettyPurple, May 5, 2016.

1. PrettyPurple

I'm not posting this in the health section because I don't think it belongs there as I generally don't have any eating disorders or other food related problems, but I recently discovered that vegan milk just makes me feel sick. I decided to try soy milk because I'm vegetarian but considering going vegan at some point in the future, and I don't know why but it just... well made me feel sick. So I tried rice milk, and exactly the same thing happened. I don't think it's about the taste, I also tried chocolate soy milk, but still the same thing happened. Maybe it's some kind of a weird psychological reaction? I don't know, maybe because as a child for some reason I always thought that vegetarian/vegan food is just gross never even trying it, guess it was just something someone said to me. Does something like this happen to anyone else?

2. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's also almond milk if you want to try it. And I'm warning you now; dairy free chocolate is disgusting and soya cheese is generally best avoided. Also lots of companies are adding milk to their recipes (curse you Doritos and After Eight's)

3. Formality

Please don't eat soy products. Soy contains a myriad of different anti nutrients that will hurt your body. One of the more well known ones is the so called phytoestrogen which is a "fake" plant hormone that mimics estrogen and works to disrupts your bodies natural hormonal balance. Soy is even known to cause infertility in mammals because of this chemical.

Soy also contains trypsin inhibitors which suppresses an enzyme called trypsin that works to digest proteins you ingest. Soy also is a goitrogen. Goitrogens disrupt your thyroids natural hormonal production by preventing iodine uptake. This can lead to a bunch of different horrible thyroid issues. One in particular called goitre. Goitre is very common in societies where soy consumption is high.

Moreover, soy contains phytic acid which easily binds with minerals. And since our bodies cannot absorb phytic acid the minerals that are absorbed by the chemical simply comes out with our poop. So in other words, by eating a lot of soy you will lose a bunch of important minerals, which can lead to nutritional deficiencies. Not only that but a vegan/vegetarian diet can already on it's own be quite lackluster in terms of minerals. So be careful with what you eat and make sure you get all the vitamins and minerals that you need.

I'm not jokin when I say that soy can actually make you sick. Please stay away from soy for your own sake. It was never intended for human consumption.

Drink something like coconut milk instead. Coconut contains a lot of lauric acid which is a saturated fatty acid that contributes to so called "good cholesterol". I'm not sure if conventional coconut milk contains a lot of this fatty acid, you'd have to check it out for yourself by looking at the nutritional stuffs on the box. If I ever had to replace milk with something I'd probably go for coconut milk. Not only is it healthy, it is also super tasty. :slight_smile:

#3 Formality, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  4. KayJay

Just wanted to pop in and echo Lacybi in recommending almond milk. My roommate drinks it and I've used it a few times when I'm out of my regular milk. It's actually quite good.

5. Box

Box

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The taste may vary quite a lot between different brands so be sure to try out a few different ones. Almond milk is, as mentioned, ok. Oat milk is really good too, and it's usually what I get when I don't get lactose free milk.

6. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I usually drink "vegan" milk, because I'm lactose intolerant and I detest the lactose-free milk. Try the coconut, almond, or oat milk varieties. They are really nice, I don't like soy milk tough, it tastes funny.

#6 pinkpanther, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  7. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    hmm weird. well if it makes you feel sick, then you shouldnt drink it. Maybe try almond milk? I prefer that over soy or rice milk. If you really wanna go vergan, then maybe just try it, but still drink milk. I know alot of people will be like " OH YOURE NOT A REAL VEGAN" but its not about what they think, and you should do whatever you want and eat whatever you want.

8. PrivateUser

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This comes as something of a surprise to me, perhaps I should take more care of my health and avoid soy products completely. It will be quite a blow, though, and a massive change in habits, since I've been a vegetarian and eating soy since 1973....

I can feel it in my health, though. Yesterday I walked 35 km - everyone else was on their bikes - and I was decidedly out of breath by the 32 km mark....

9. elel

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Could be a chemical in it. I would experiment with different milks. Odds are you will find something eventually. I am a vegan and experimenting with different products is the way to go.

10. crystalbal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Maybe you might be allergic to soy milk. You might want to consult your doctor regarding which type of plant-based milk you can consume.

11. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's definitely a sign...

I'm also worried. I lost my cholesterol in only a few months. Even my doctor seemed shocked. A sign that I should go back to dairy and eggs as soon as possible, perhaps add great amounts of red meat, alcohol and sugar.

Now seriously, there are people who don't like soja, even some that for one reason or another can't tolerate it. And with soja comes also tofu. If you suspect you are one of them, then try something else or go back to dairy. It's your body, your choice.

12. PrettyPurple

Actually from what I've seen it's not hard to find dark chocolate that is vegan, guess one of those things that are "accidentally" vegan like oreos lol

---------- Post added 8th May 2016 at 09:32 PM ----------

I've never heard about that... I don't eat much soy anyway

13. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Almond milk is fantastic

14. Naxams

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status: