1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Milgram experiment, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AzThRg0, Feb 25, 2009.

1. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Has anyone here heard of the Milgram experiment? What are your thoughts on it and its findings? I'm attaching a video recreating the Milgram experiment and a some wikipedia articles about it and similar topics. I personally find it horrifying and fascinating. It scares me how people can do this kind of stuff.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Eyes/Brown_Eyes#The_Exercise
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6GxIuljT3w[/YOUTUBE]

2. Shevanel

I think its SO fascinating. I love reading about stuff like this on the internet. mainly cuz i have no life, its just so interesting though, the screwed up stuff like this. i love it! XD

3. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

Has anyone watched the film 'The Experiment'? It's about a group of researchers who carry out the experiment you're talking about. Good film, and quite shocking.

4. pookie

pookie Guest

I don't think I would continue. I question authority way too much.

5. riddlerno1

I have studied this experiemnt all throughout the different stages of my qualification (im a psychologist) and its just unbeliviable that people went as far as they did. But it still happens today. Give people authority and power and they abuse it. If you're intrested then you should read up on Zimbardo's prison experiment where people had to act out prisoner and guard roles. The results there were terrifying too.

6. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'd read that the Zimbardo experiment had to be shut down less then half way in due to the guards abuse of power. Its so crazy

7. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    We saw a video on this in pyschology last week.

8. premiumheart

It's funny how we just talked about this last week in Psychology class, too. I think it's very interesting how people will go against their morals because of the need to obey someone.

And yeah, the Zimbardo experiment turned really scary, too.

9. jazzrawr

We talked about this in my Psychology class. It's hard to believe that people would follow authority that much. I mean, if someone was in pain like that I wouldn't go on. I can't cause people pain. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    The Zimbardo one was even worse, yeah. They had to shut it down early because the 'guards' went power-crazy and it was causing phychological harm to the 'inmates'.

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's the kind of thing that I found shocking when I first saw it (at age 16), but now it doesn't surprise me much. It's pretty easy to disassociate one's self, and to find rationalizations for one's behavior. "They told me to" is perhaps the easiest rationalization there is.

Lex

11. Melissa

Yes, we've covered both the Milgram and Zimbardo experiments in my Psych and Sociology classes. People never fail to scare me. Personally, I couldn't rationalize causing pain to anyone.

12. Maggi

we are doing this in english right now. it think is facinating how humans follow what others do and how it influences their decisions.