1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT at your work.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gabby29, May 7, 2016.

1. Gabby29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've been out as Bi for five years, and I've only worked as concierge for one and it's funny how people even today are so surprised by my sexuality. I've told only three people simply because they asked, other than that I won't bring it up. Some others have found out through my behavior and comfort with men and women, but everyone else it's like a whole new perspective of me to them. Now I get asked about it all the time and people seem to want to talk to me about it. How is work life for any of you with your coworkers?

2. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People tend to be shocked and question-happy about stuff they know nothing about, or aren't accustomed to being around... Kind of like; say a midget became one of my co-workers, I'd have a million questions.

Nobody at my work blinks an eye at the fact that I'm gay, to answer your question.

3. the haunted

Everyone at work knows me as a lesbian, currently. Not only do I not identify as a woman, but I actually consider myself queer. But as a "lesbian" I'm perfectly accepted at work. I work with plenty of LGB people, so it's not like I'm alone. I get asked questions about my life specifically, but not really lesbian-related inquiries.

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's going to be interesting to readdress this topic in a year for me. And I don't believe anyone here is openly gay or lesbian.

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LGBT people are pretty rare in my field and in my firm but other than people obviously taking a moment to wrap their head around it I've never had any issues.

6. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    its not really anythin special here.

7. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My workplace has an impressive percentage of LGBT people...I feel fairly lucky for that, as it wasn't something I knew when I got here. They were one of the few places at the time I started that had same-sex partner benefits, though...I'm sure that was all part of the dynamic.

People rarely ask questions of anyone LGBT here. It happens...but rarely...it would almost be better if they asked more. Everyone knows my partner is a woman. Fewer have any reason to know I'm bisexual, but some do.

8. 2Sides

2Sides Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No one is gay at my work. If they are they keep it a secret. Most workers are Muslims so not very a good atmosphere to be gay in (YAY ME, OF ALL THE JOBS I HAD TO GET, I HAD TO GET ONE WHERE EVERYONE CAN POTENTIALLY HATE ME). ^_^;;;

And no I can't get a job elsewhere because most white employers don't want an asian working for them.

#8 2Sides, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
  9. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    One of my coworkers actually stopped me and told me there was a bet going if I was lesbian or just bi, lmao. (Answer: neither!)

There are a few gay people at work and the company has a pretty solid policy, so I'd be fine coming out... I'm just choosing not to atm since a lot of people who don't know like to visit me at work :V

#9 denouement, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
  10. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is racism really that prevalent in Birmingham? I always thought it was quite liberal but then I have heard it referred to as 'multicultural' which is a bad sign in my opinion.
    Move to Yorkshire. (I know it probably isn't as easy as that)

I only ever had two people respond negatively about my sexuality at work. One of them became a friend, the other one resurfaced on the gay scene a few years later, getting off with some guy and pretending he didn't recognise me.

11. 2Sides

2Sides Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can't speak for others. I applied in and outside of Bham.

For me yeah it is. People prefer to recruit individuals with white sounding names. I only managed to get this current job because most people there are ethnic minorities and the manager there was Indian herself.

I only got interviews with white employers when it was arranged by the jobcentre.

Black people have it worse though.

12. blightedsight

Hopefully, the first question would be "is 'midget' offensive?", then when you have your answer, you don't use that term again.

13. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A major company I worked for as a manager years ago struck a deal with jobcentre, where I had to consider applicants they sent first, before I could offer the job on the open market. They sent so many waste of time candidates that it basically became a box ticking exercise when screening and interviewing. I never recruited a single candidate sent by them due to suitability and not always at the fault of the candidate so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
    Job centre from my point of view, was not fit for purpose.

I recruited fairly and equally regardless of age, race, gender, orientation, physical attraction - well OK I admit it, sometimes I favoured the fitter ones :icon_wink - but the truth is some groups interview better than others on average. I have heard that some recruitment agencies filter by 'none British' sounding names but maybe there's less risk if you cut the middleman out and go direct to the employer.

14. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly don't know. There is one guy that everyone seems to think IS gay(and I'll admit, he does set my bidar off) but no one knows for sure. (Maybe I should just ask).As far as me, no one knows yet, but that's mostly because it hasn't come up, and I've only just gotten comfortable enough with them to actually come out.

15. rudysteiner

There's a gay guy at my work. I'm not out at work, though. I don't see the point.

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, work is the only place I refuse to be out.

My supervisor is both homophobic and (recently I found out) transphobic. So I don't feel safe there. Fortunately my five years is up in June, so I should be able to move to Seattle and leave these clowns behind...

With idiots who think encrypting and hashing a password are the "same thing."

17. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose that depends what you mean by out.
    What would you say if someone asks you about your partner or future plans in general conversation? Or just outright asked if you're gay?

18. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not out at work because it isn't something I flaunt but there is one openly gay lady and she and her wife recently married and everyone seems to be okay.

19. rudysteiner

Well, if someone asked, I'd have no problem telling them. I don't see any point in mixing my personal life with somewhere I work 2 nights a week, so unless it comes up, I'll keep it to myself. I think it'll be a different story when I have a full-time job, though.

20. guitar

I'm out to most people I interact with in a daily basis at work. Several people knew I was gay before I was hired. One of my bosses' sons is gay so her and I have hada special bond since I started. My sexuality has never been an issue