1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picking on Poe

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Melissa, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Melissa

So in my English Comp class we are reading a few of Edgar Allen Poe stories: "The Black Cat", "The Cask of Amontillado", and "The Fall of the House of Usher." Now personally I love Poe. Always have. I think for a manic depressive, he had a gift for storytelling and a great insight into the darker side of the human pysche. :grin: However, my classmates violently disagreed with me. I was verbal attacked! Everyone jumped on me saying that I must be 'crazy' and a 'weirdo' to like the stories. I was taken aback. This is college for heaven's sake. I am rather upset at this. I'm not ever sure why. Any thoughts on this? :confused:

2. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Many people can't fathom the great subtleties of Poe and the absolute brilliance of his work. They always seem to associate stereotypes with those who do enjoy it. Personally, I think his verbiage is a bit too much for me though. Fall of The House of Usher was a very, very hard read.

3. I think it's stupid and childish that they reacted how they did. I have always loved Poe too although I thought the Black Cat was far too macabre for me (I read it when I was 13). But I've always loved things like The Raven, and The Telltale Heart, and The Pit and the Pendulum. I never read The Cask of Amontillado although people say it's good.

4. revolutionrock

Poe is definitely one of my favorite American authors. Not many on that list, I have to tell you!

5. Dazed

Dazed Guest

Poe was a mastermind.
    anyone with any sense of good writing will know that.
    i wish i had half his talent.

the telltale heart and the raven are my favorites but i have a book of his collected works :] he is my love. lol

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Teehee...I was first assigned those stories back in seventh grade.

I have to say, I like Poe's writing but not Poe himself. Too much of an anti-science romantic for me.

7. Melissa

LoL ~ I wish I had half his talent too!

"The Tale-Tell Heart", "The Raven", and "The Pit and the Pendulum"... Ah, good stuff!

Thanks everyone, I feel better. *sigh* Like beauty, sanity too, is in the mind of the beholder isn't it? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. OneHatMadder

The Masque of the Red Death has been my favourite short story since I was 9 years old :slight_smile:

I absolutely ADORE Poe!

9. Level N Human

Make voodoo dolls with cat ears of everyone in that class. That'll show'em.

10. Dazed

Dazed Guest

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap i love that. hahaha

11. musicgirl112233

Me too! I read The Masque of The Red Death last year it was great!

12. Sarah

Poe is a very good writer but very twisted. lik in one of his books he fell in love with his great grandmother. nd his poem "Annabell Lee" how he slept in her coffin with her. *shivers* kinda creepy but very beautiful writing

13. Dakku

I bought a lether bound copy of a bunch of Poe's stories and poems a few years back.
    Eventually I ended up needing money, and sold it on to a friend of mine who's really into that sort of stuff, because I never actually read it, sadly...

14. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

Wonderful writer. His stories are so crude and unsettling. 'The Pit and the Pendulum' and 'Berenice' are brilliant. There are plenty of works by him I have yet to read, though.

By the way, your classmates' reaction was downright ridiculous! We read Poe in class at 12 and no one reacted like that.