1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaydar?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by diegon3, Feb 26, 2009.

1. diegon3

For the most awkward reason I remembered about the gaydar myth.
    Is that believable cause if it does exist then mine is pretty much broken.
    Does anybody actually know concisely who is gay at glance?

2. Larry Myster

Well, there is a way, but you will need to be really on your feet to tell. For me IT IS EXTREAMLY HARD to define if im gay or not, people think im straight at first glance because im not femanate, or am I just acting gay at all, if people ask I tell them I am gay. Easy as that.

3. Techcompu2

4. MusicIsLife

3 guys where i work are gay, but they're all effemenate.

5. Techcompu2

mine is based completely on stereotypes. of course the only lgbt person I know in real life is my older female cousin but I did not know she was a lesbian until I saw her myspace page.

6. Maggi

i'm pretty good at telling who is and who isn't at first glance, it's really weird.

7. Jeimuzu

Takes a bit of work to be honest, but it gets easier once you acknowledge that there's a damn sight more of us than the papers would like to pretend.

8. LyraLissa

I can sometimes tell at a glance- but more often once I get to know the person.
    Not everyone has gaydar, and people have it in different amounts.
    I've also found that the more out of the closet you are, the more gaydar you have. :slight_smile:
    ~Hugs, Lyra

9. I can tell with guys a lot of the time, but I second-guess myself because I feel like I'm judging them based on just a few observations. I really can't tell with lesbians unless they're the stereotypical butch type.

10. Emberstone

the introduction of metrosexuality through queer eye for the straight guy made it hard.

11. Peter

Considering that the statistics claim that between 8 and 10% of the population is gay, your gaydar works if it goes off for every 10 people you cross in the street. Otherwise, it is recognizing some preconceived attitude or just wishful thinking.
    I met my niece a couple of days ago, she said she was travelling with a male colleague who had gone shoe-shopping. It didn't take a gaydar for me to smile and raise my eyebrows - yes, he is.

12. Amy

Amy

My gaydar is pretty amazing. It doesn't work on random people, but most I can tell instantly.

13. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm, the concept of a gaydar is nothing more than a myth. They're based entirely on stereotypes and what people expect a gay person to look like (which in itself is moronic). We know from this site alone that there are people who will not fit any of the stereotypes, there are others who fit 1, two or three, and there are those who let their sexuality define who they are. The first group of people you wouldn't recognise as being gay if they randomly walked past you in the street, the second group you may pick up on depending how hard you're looking and the third group is sort of obvious, that's just stereotypical observation.

The idea of a gaydar is so convenient for a lot of people because there is no way to actually prove it. I've seen people walk down a mall and say "this person is gay" and so on, but they never actually go and ask them whether they are or not. They just make the assumption that their right and enforce the view that they have a good gaydar. They'll probably "detect" one or two people, but statistically in a busy mall more than two people you walk past will be gay. They just don't pick up on that because the stereotypes they look for aren't there, thus destroying their idea of having a gaydar.

There are also people who have gay stereotypes who are heterosexual (metrosexual?) and they'll be falsely identified as gay. Once again the idea of a gaydar is flawed.

I think gaydars can be a bit of fun when you're out and about and a bit bored, but anybody who actually thinks they seriously has one is a tad deluded, imo. It doesn't take a genius to spot stereotypes in society, and it's hardly enough to call it a "gift". It takes a bit of knowledge on stereotypes and eyesight. Something most people have.

14. Larry Myster

I'll have to agree with martin. He praticly said the longer verstion of what i was sayen lol. But yeah really good.

15. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    i disagree i knew martin was gay from the moment i saw his profile pic!

16. DexterMorgan

Some of my familymembers knew I was gay before I did!

17. LyraLissa

True gaydar's rarely an on-sight thing.
    But, despite me trying to hide, a friend of mine thought I was gay before I told her.
    It is possible, but not foolproof.
    ~Hugs, Lyra

18. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well for a start, I don't have a profile picture. :wink:

You also know I'm gay because I'm using a support forum for LGBT peeps which displays the orientation of each user. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: As I wrote I'm gay you have been able to deduce that I am gay, which you have cleverly done by not being a muppet and having the ability to read. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    oh snaps he is on to me !!!! :eek:

20. riddlerno1

well i cant personally tell unless someone looks stereotypically gay, and even then do u really know for sure??! Plus i dont think i look stereotypically gay so i wonder if people think im gay by first glance!