1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think Anita Sarkeesian is a great role model

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by edy, May 10, 2016.

1. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    She is highly intelligent and she has plenty of people pressed. She must be doing something right.

As a feminist, I find her more interesting than, just to randomly name someone, Caitlyn Jenner

2. Soundwave

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I despise her with every fiber of my being.

3. Plattyrex

It seems like a lot of people do. I don't even know who the hell this is, but just the results from looking up the name gives me a feeling that a shit ton of people hate her.

4. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    She's a feminist critic and YouTuber, who's most well-known for her videos about the way female characters are portrayed in video games. Naturally, her criticisms of video games and their supposed sexism has led to her demonization among gamers and in some cases, males in general. She has become famous for receiving death and rape threats from enraged online users.

I've seen a couple of her videos. I thought some of the points she made were valid, but others seemed exaggerated and seemed to be making an issue where there was none. Despite that, I didn't see the need for the loathing and rage others feel when confronted her with material. That said, I'm not a "gamer" per se, so perhaps it's something that was ever going to affect me strongly.

#4 Libertino, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
  5. Plattyrex

Ooohh, it's a feminism thing. That makes since I guess. I'm not a feminist, like at all, but I am more than willing to admit that even saying the word over the internet will get you attacked.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [​IMG]

I like Jos Truitt better.

[​IMG]
    Favorite feminist of all time: Reina Gattuso

#6 Pret Allez, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
  7. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like her, I think she has too much of a victim complex. I can respect her opinions (though I strongly disagree) but she doesn't come off as being able to respond to criticism or analyze her own beliefs.

8. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I've seen, she is a scam artist and compulsive liar, who has no genuine interest in solving real problems that actually affect women, especially those less fortunate than her. She would much rather make a big deal out of trivial things and raise money so she can produce videos which she may or may not (as is the case with one of her propesed series) actually make.

If you haven't seen it, you should check out the amazing atheist's video on this and the fundraising he started to help actual oppressed women around the world. It's funny how the feminists all throw their money at her to make useless videos, where the non feminists gave their money to a charity to help actual oppressed women. The irony amuses me.

Happy days :slight_smile:

9. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    Isn't The Amazing Atheist a priviliged CIS heterosexual male? Why would his opinion matter?

And to me Anita ia not a victim AT ALL. She the ultimate representation of a strong woman.

10. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Personally, I think Anita is a rather boring critic to read and watch, and her videos are pretty much "Welcome to Feminism: 101." Nothing she says is radical or revolutionary, except to people who have no clue what feminism is or what it stands for and represents to people. She receives a very large and disproportionate amount of hatred on the internet for what she does, which is criticize video games. And that's really sad and for that alone I have quite a bit of empathy for her.

I was at E3 last year, and if you paid any attention to it last year, you'd know that some rather humiliating posters were hung up for miles surrounding the Los Angeles convention center with her face on it, surrounded by the words "FEM FREAK." I think some idiotic right wing media group ended up taking responsibility for it later, but a lot of people accused her of hanging the posters herself, when she was across the street from the fucking Twitch party that night, surrounded by journalists and other critics with who knows how many cameras on her.

She probably wishes she was half as conniving and capable as people thinks she is at this conspiracy stuff.

#10 Kidd, May 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2016
  11. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are everything that's wrong with progressivism.

12. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Who is to say that feminists don't support charities and Anita Sarkeesian? They aren't mutually exclusive, you know. On a second note, who is to say that women in countries like say, Rwanda, or Ghana, are interested in the same feminist goals as western women and how many of them actually see Western society as an ideal to emulate? There's a lot of presumptions and Americancentric reasoning that come from people like Thunderf00t and TAA that are simply not at all supported by anything other than their own biases and prejudices.

#12 Kidd, May 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2016
  13. Plattyrex

This thread be salty as a seahorse.

14. Soundwave

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate her for the fact her and her side kick Zoe Quinn worry about the feelings of virtual characters. Aperantly Big boobs and ass smacks are degrading women in video games what the dummies don't realize thre are lesbian gamers who probably wpould enjoy that. But oh know we must protect the feelings of video game characters let's complain instead of not buying the game.

#14 Soundwave, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
  15. I'm_Danni_x

#15 I'm_Danni_x, May 11, 2016
  16. Cauldron

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just don't understand why she needed $6,000 to make the videos, I could have made the same video with $10 and an iPhone, Just saying...

#16 Cauldron, May 11, 2016
  17. Formality

Seriously I really hope this is sarcasm? Otherwise hypocritical much? So you are saying that his skin colour, his sexuality and his gender makes his opinions invalid? Do you even hear yourself. It's like me saying that all black people's opinions are invalid because they are black. Or that all women's opinions don't matter because they are women. :bang:

I would not agree that she is a strong woman. A strong woman wouldn't care if a female video game character has "huge tits" or is being, what she calls, "masculinized"(?) :eusa_doh: A strong woman would be certain enough of themselves that a stupid fictional character with "huge tits" isn't going to bother them. She is the exact opposite of that. Honestly I wish that, instead of bitching and moaning about non-questions she would do something productive to help women who are in reality being oppressed. In that way I might actually have some respect for this vile human being.

The funny thing is, she doesn't give a crap about how men are portraid in video games. Can you say double standards? I mean seriously, am I expected to have a perfect set of abs and guns as huge as a freaking elephant legs? But that's the whole point: GAMES ARE FICTIONAL. I actually like that my character can look like gods in stunning shiny armor with huge boobs or huge abs and perfect faces and everything. I don't care if my character is overtly masculine or feminine, it doesn't bother me because it's nothing but a freaking game.

Oh and btw, The Amazing Atheist is bisexual, so I guess that makes his opinions at least somewhat valid according to your standards? :dry:

#17 Formality, May 11, 2016
  18. thepandaboss

Okay, if you're going to make a thread talking about a person and you don't agree with what people think about them, you should probably offer a more substantial argument than "well, the guy YOU like is a scumlord cis male so fuck you."...

I'm personally not a huge Sarkeesian fan myself but it's not so much for the fact that she's a feminist. I just think she's intentionally inflammatory and doesn't encourage respectful online behavior. There's a lot of fantastic feminist writers and bloggers out there who manage to address concerns about sexism in media without necessarily promoting problematic behavior (such as doxxing, harassment, false allegations, etc). For example, Parker Molloy (who happens to be a trans woman herself) writes about things like gender standards, cultural depictions of violence, LGBT representation, and more. She's often accused of being a "SJW" (by people I think are incredibly stupid) but she's respectful, well-researched, and doesn't rely on inflammatory tactics to make a point. Molloy, in my opinion, is a much better role model for anyone to have than someone like Anita Sarkeesian.

19. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know much about her, aside from the whole Gamergate controversy, but can't agree with some of the threats she gets from angry gamers. She also seems to be a pretty big target for MRA types, so that makes her somewhat cool in my books.

20. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    She has criticized binary gender roles in video games. I see a lot of people here (including myself) complaining about misrepresentation in other media (movies, literature, tv series, contests, etc) why are video games less important?

And, gay or not, male or female, white or green (I never mentioned his color by the way) The Amazing Atheist to me seems less intelligent than Anita and he is only doing what he is doing to probé a point. Anita doesn't own anything to anyone. She didn't steal the money. People gave her money