1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"The stare"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lovetoomuch, May 11, 2016.

1. lovetoomuch

I was in Chelsea, Manhattan (it has a large LGBT+ community) a few days ago and I encountered something that has happened a few times when I went to New York City. I was walking around with no purpose (basically wandering) and I made eye contact with a good looking guy. I, of course, was admiring his physical appearance because as I said he was good looking. We were looking at each other for a little and then I looked away because I felt weird with him knowing I was looking at him. A few seconds later, I looked up at him again and we made eye contact again. We then of course just walked by each other.

A few months ago the same exact thing happened. I was walking past a restaurant in NYC and a guy inside was staring at me. We made eye contact, I looked away, and then I looked back and we were still looking at each other. I continued walking by and just smiled at him.

I may be over reading this, but this is elongated stare at each other a sign of "flirting" (even though it's not really flirting) or a sign of someone finding you attractive? I mean, I guess it could just be a staring problem.

If it is, it sucks because you're probably not going to stop some random stranger in the middle of the street and start talking - I mean I guess you could, but 1.) I'm not social or confident enough 2.) That is kind of weird? and 3.) I could have read the situation wrong and he wasn't gay.

Let's all just start wearing a sticky note on our foreheads saying "gay" on it so gay guys and girls can tell easier - just kidding, but let me know what you guys think of "the stare."

2. Burnedcloset

I think "the stare" is a actual thing in gay culture used on a regular basis. Especially in gay areas and clubs.

3. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It might be a subconscious thing, like our pupils dilating. Guys in general tend not to hold eye contact for too long, since it could be taken as interest or confrontation, so there's that.

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't been single for a while but it definitely was a thing and I assume still is. Back in the day the formula was look, turn away and count to three and turn back. If they have done the same thing, that's interest. Back in the day it was a "hook up" kind of interest and I will begrudgingly admit that I have met people literally walking down the street that way. My guess is that with all the apps and the like now that the whole look, one, two, three, look thing isn't as common but prolonged eye contact is generally a sign of some sort of interest.