1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"A book that isn't good enough to be read twice isn't good enough to read once."

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Invidia, May 12, 2016.

1. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Do you enjoy re-reading books, re-watching films and series, listening to the same songs over and over again, etc.? I do. : ) When I first discovered the Harry Potter books I must have read them like five times in less than a year. I just finished watching the anime Clannad for the third time, Nanatsu no taizai for the second time, and npw I'm watching Angel Beats for the fourth time.

#1 Invidia, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  2. rudysteiner

I'm currently re-reading Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. Second time.

3. Cedar

I enjoy re-reading things to make sure I didn't miss anything. It's funny how many times I missed something and figured it out the second time through. Or I'll just re-read something to go through the journey again. I'm always doing that with my manga.

4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just don't have the attention span to reread books and rewatch movies. I could think they were the best thing ever, but then quit a quartor or half way through because I just lost interest. So I don't really think the quote is true for me.

BUT I can listen to the same song on loop for days though and replay the same game dozens of times :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#4 HM03, May 12, 2016
  5. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, let's put it this way: there are many books I would be willing to read more than once, but I simply don't have the time given all the new books I want to read.

I have so far re-read Lord of the Flies...and that's about it. I'd like to re-read The Magus at some point.

6. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

Yup, i'm constantly listening to the same songs everyday and sometimes i'll just sit and listen to one song on repeat for hours and slowly end up noticing all the different instruments used and have the lyrics written in my brain forever. I also recently re-watched Black Rock Shooter and K-On for the umpteenth time, and, currently, i have the movie Summer Wars playing in the background of my forum browsing for the god-knows-how-many-th time.
    So, yeah. For sure. (─‿─)

#6 Bobsleigh1, May 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2016
  7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I reread books all the time but there will be some that I won't ever reread even though I greatly enjoyed them.
    Like Harry Potter, I loved the series, but I'm never going to reread.
    Meanwhile I reread books like Memoirs of a Geisha and Pride and Prejudice as much as I can. I also reread the Tales of Redwall series over again despite it being a children's series.
    I also tend to reread series after 5 months to a year have passed since last reading it.

For music and movies, I tend to relisten and rewatch most things unless I didn't enjoy it.

#7 Matto_Corvo, May 12, 2016
  8. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't like reading. It's weird, there's many time when I find myself enjoying a book I'm reading but I just won't read if I'm not pushed to do it.

9. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can never read a book again after having read it once. There's just so much to read!

10. thepandaboss

When I was a kid, I would reread every Harry Potter book in a massive marathon session every year. I don't always go back- only if I really love the book and feel like a second reading would help me understand the book on a deeper level. But I have so many books to get through that I very rarely reread anymore. Some books, even if I love them, are either so dense or so wrenching that I can't really go through it again. One of the most recent ones for me is Blood Telegraph, which covers the history of the Bengladesh Liberation War. It's one of the first books in the long time that left me geniuenly shaken and disgusted with humanity.

11. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I reaaaally don't like the quote used for the title of this thread! XD

I have an excellent memory for things I've seen (movies/TV/comics/books) so I do re-read and re-watch things but not often. Unfortunately I can't get new English books rn so I've been doing nothing but re-reading for the last 4ish years.

I get into loops with music. I'll listen to the same 20~ songs or 3 albums or whatever for months at a time.

12. Charlz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The Wheel of Time series is my favourite, I've read it all the way through probably 4 or 5 times. I highly recommend it to anyone that likes the fantasy genre.

13. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like to reread some books, e.g. Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - it's pretty fascinating.

14. Embi

Embi Guest

I almost never re-read/watch things. It has to be really, really good and even then it can take years until I do. I guess the things I re-read are possible to count on one hand (maybe two if I think about it, children's books not included). I don't know why you would re-read/watch things unless they changed your life in some way or cheer you up when you're sad because they're a feel good book/movie.

Edit: I do listen to the same song over and over again for days/weeks though :slight_smile:

#14 Embi, May 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
  15. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I reread things a lot. The most is probably Dancer from the Dance by Andrew Holleran. I bet I've read that at least twelve times.

16. Quist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't re-read any books, mostly because I have a huge backlog I'm trying to get through. I was buying book lots off of ebay there for a while because they were very cheap with low shipping (media mail) and now I've got a lot of reading ahead of me.

I've been reading the Dark Tower series by Stephen King and I'm nearly done with the 5th book.

17. Athame

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I've read Harry Potter like 9 times. I can't tell you how many times I've watched Gilmore Girls and I also have seen death note a lot it's my favorite anime

18. GypsyButterfly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's so many books that I want to read, that I probably won't read most of them again. With music, there are certain songs that get to me. Either they uplift or evoke emotions, so, those I can play several times in a row. As for movies, my husband & I have been watching those much more than shows lately. We usually see ones that, at least, one of us hasn't yet. Though, there are c films (usually comedies, animation or fantasy), that we'll view again. As for shows, there are some of those (mainly comedies), we've seen, at least, twice.

19. crystalbal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I enjoy rereading and rewatching my favourite books and films. :slight_smile:

Books: Harry potter and Archie comics
    Films: Home alone series

I'll never get tired of watching or reading them again and again. :slight_smile:

20. GypsyButterfly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's so many books that I want to read, that I probably won't read most of them again. With music, there are certain songs that get to me. Either they uplift or evoke emotions, so, those I can play several times in a row. As for movies, my husband & I have been watching those much more than shows lately. We usually see ones that, at least, one of us hasn't yet. Though, there are c films (usually comedies, animation or fantasy), that we'll view again. As for shows, there are some of those (mainly comedies), we've seen, at least, twice.