1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lowkey Game

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SecretlyKing, May 13, 2016.

1. SecretlyKing

I have this game.
    "How gay (and everything else in LGBT+, really) can I be before my overly conservative parents notice?"

So far:
    • I have pride drawings and posters on a wall of my room.
    • I dress like a sterotypical boy almost all of the time.
    • I brought home my boyfriend and all of my LGBT+ friends (though I didn't inform of this sexuality fact, but I also didn't not inform them, y'know?).
    • I play songs about gay relationships and things like Little Game by Benny around the house.
    • I've changed my phone and computer backgrounds to pride flags.
    • I'm very passionate about equality all the time. Like if someone with a gaydar heard me, they'd know everything within a few moments of knowing me.

They know absolutely nothing so far, and it's been over a year of this. If they did know, I know they would've made it clear, so it's not like their keeping their knowledge a secret.

Does anybody else do this?

#1 SecretlyKing, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  2. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They're either oblivious or they don't want to face the truth. My parents were always up front about everything. If they had a problem with anything, they would say it. Or if they wanted to know something, they'd ask. However, when I told them that I was gay, they said they knew all along.

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, for the longest time I thought my parents would have caught on.

For three years I dressed like a boy and had short hair, and enjoyed being "mistaken" for male. I tried to make it really damn obvious. And yet when I came out, they were completely taken aback. They said things like, "how come you never told us before?" or "why didn't you come to us first/sooner?"

Part of it has to do with the fact that they believe being gay/trans is a choice. So if they never "let" their kids choose that, there's no way they can turn out that way, now is there? I think largely it has to do with denial, or them not wanting to face reality, so they blocked out all the signs I tried to show. If your parents, being conservative, are anything like mine and they aren't seeming to "catch on," there's really only two possibilities. One is that they are really unobservant or hiding their thoughts. Two - more likely - they are in denial (albeit probably subconscious denial).

I am not saying this is the case, but if it is, you may need to try a more direct approach for answers. Like you could casually bring up a trans-related news article and see how they react.

#3 Kodo, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  4. 1ring

I totally get what you mean by nothing's really hidden but you havent said anything. I have rainbow decorations everywhere and I constantly make jokes about me dating girls and so most of my friends are already suspicious of it, and my brother is convinced I'm gay. It's kind of a fun game to play though. See how far you can get before anyone actually notices whats going on

5. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup. I did that for a while. My mom caught on pretty much right away, but then she has MtF friends (didn't know that fact till after I came out.) My soon to be sis in law also caught on rather quickly, about around the time I asked her to shave my hair off.
    Everyone else either took forever to catch on, of still havn't caught on. I even made a coming out post on Facebook and posted it, but a lot of people either didn't see it, ignored, or thought it a joke. So its back to the game with them. I pretty much do nothing bout talk about trans news with my bro and he still seems not to catch on.

6. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you play the ''game of Life'' you could choose your player as male and give yourself a boyfriend if you land on that part of the game.

7. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Lol I've always been obvious to everyone but my mum. I stepped up my game and now she's only got paranoid since she actually found gay articles on my computer. Now every time I do anything remotely tomboyish/gay she freaks.

8. SecretlyKing

I tried that a few days ago about the trans bathroom predicament in SC, and my brother was quick to say that gender dysphoria is medically diagnosed, therefore is an ailment. My family all agreed that people should go into the bathroom that fits their biological birth.
    Oh man, that didn't go down with me very well.

9. Ryu

Ryu

This sounds damn fun. I am starting tomorrow.

Then again my parents might then think eurovision made me gay or something weird so maybe I should wait a week.

#9 Ryu, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  10. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe they are ignoring it hoping it will go away.

11. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Though I should be surprised my parents haven't suspected anything with my gender yet, I think they may be unconsciously denying it. After all, even when I have to face stuff like my trans identity head on, it took me a long, long time to slide out of denial. For them, it's probably easier for them to ignore the signs. Or they simply cannot even begin to wrap their heads around the possibility that their kid might be trans.

It reminds me of when it were a lot of signs that I liked girls during the past few years but neither of them suspected a thing. Even when I was a lot younger and had posters of female musicians/celebrities I liked around in my room they didn't blink an eye. Or when I started asking them about their views on same-sex marriage and stuff like that. Or when I showed my mom openly gay celebrities I admired and liked. My mom was really shocked when I told her I liked girls, she genuinely didn't suspect a thing.

And I'm pretty sure she doesn't suspect that I'm trans either, though this is kind of a new thing for me to realise as well.

Sometimes parents simply don't think it's possible for their child to be gay or bi or trans, etc/or they're in denial of any sign they see, especially if they don't normally encounter anything LGBT+ related in their day to day lives or they themselves grew up not knowing much about LGBT+ stuff.

12. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See, I'm the sort to remain quiet for a bit but eventually I will have to open my mouth and argue back. Sometimes the act of arguing in defense of LGBT+ people makes other thing you are LGBT+ as well.

13. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lol try writing in a journal about how you feel. That's how my mom found out, nosy bitch haha. She also made me go to family counseling sessions after that though. Mostly because I said a lot of other stuff in there that she didn't like.