1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this long distance or not?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DalArc9, May 14, 2016.

1. DalArc9

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I been with a guy for a year and 5 months so far but most of the time we been hour and 50 min away from each other but is this true that what my old best friend said that long distance relationships never work? Is hour and 50 min away driving distance considered long distance? I can say my bf use to live on 27 min away at fist for few weeks then moved hour and 50 min away. We first met online and talked for 3 months over phone and Skype but then met and we say each other like maybe 5 times in two weeks and then he moved out but we still love each other and everything but just wanted to know if long distance relationships really don't work and is being well for exact hour and 50 min considered long distance? He is a real loyal guy compared to my ex's I been with the past.

2. xAce

Out Status:
    A few people
    There has always been a bit of a stigma saying that long distance relationships don't work. I don't think that your relationship is too long distance as you can still visit each other within a day if you want to. However, you may consider it long distance because you don't see each other every day or a few days a week.
    As with every relationship, how long it lasts is up to you. If you are in love and are having no troubles with the distance between you then don't let what anyone says bother you. Long distance relationships take a bit more effort to stay in contact but with texting and skype being readily available it is not as hard to remain in contact as it used to be.
    As an example, I dated one of my ex boyfriend's long distance for over 5 years. We had no trouble remaining in love and keeping in contact. We grew apart due to personal differences and me coming out to him as trans but we have remained great friends.

So don't let anyone tell you that a long distance relationship won't work. It takes effort, just like all relationships but it is no less satisfying or real. And remember, if you ever feel the need to see your boyfriend, you can always drive up there or meet him halfway and go on a date or something!

3. Cedar

I think LDRs are like any other relationship, they can work or they can fail. The only problem might be the distance, regardless of if you're an hour apart or half the world apart. Don't let what others say get you down, just keep making sure the relationship works. So long as you both are happy and content with your relationship, don't bother with all the naysayers.

4. DalArc9

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can say soon he will be moving to his parents place which is also 2 hours away for 4 to 5 years but then he doesn't know if his moving back to where he use to live for years which was only 27 min or so. I hope he does then we can see each other often again. But he might move to Miami FL to become a Marine Biologist then he will be very far like over 1000 miles away them we would not see each other much. He will have his cell phone and plus he would have more money to probably even have my fly down there or so but the thing is that if he ends up living that far away can relationships still work great? I don't know if I can move down there if that time comes though since I live with my mom since I have SSI, EBT and Medicaid. I have OCD, Tics, and ADD thats why I live off state money. In time I will be able to live on my own but I don't think I can move out of state. So far Kent been living off state money also but he is planning to go to college at his mothers place then so far doesn't know what after that but he might end up moving to Fl as I said before. But nothing is confirmed yet just that he will go to college is for sure.

---------- Post added 14th May 2016 at 05:34 PM ----------

Although likely after he is done with college he will move back to the area he was at and be 27 min drive away from me he said but as you know you don't know what will happen by that time. I talked to him now and he hasn't said about moving to FL so maybe he might not do it I don't know though. Things can change in the future as you know.

5. DalArc9

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just hope that he will do whatever it takes so we can be together forever and maybe get married.

6. Miri

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't say it's long distance. I had a thing with this girl who lived five thousand four hundred miles and an airplane ride away, and lemme tell you, that was long distance. It also didn't work out. You, on the other hand, are able to see each other freely (a couple hours' driving, sure, but well worth seeing someone you care about); you're presumably both familiar and comfortable with each other physically; you likely don't see each other that much less often than a couple who, say, have separate jobs and don't live in the same house yet. I wouldn't say this is truly long distance - at least, not in the sense that it's riddled with the pitfalls brought by Skype- and SMS-confined trysts. Any problems you'd have would probably fall under the umbrella of typical relationships, not because of the distance. If he does move to Florida, it shouldn't be much of a problem: you might miss each other, sure, but you'll be able to fly down at intervals, and it'll make coming back that much sweeter. If you've got a good connection with each other already, a little space and time won't stress it, only strengthen it.

tl;dr: don't sweat it! You guys sound like you're in a happy, committed, perfectly normal relationship already. I wouldn't worry and just enjoy the time you spend with your sweetheart.