1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If your sexuality could be medically tested, would you take the test?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shadstack, May 15, 2016.

1. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

Say your sexuality could be determined by taking something like a blood sample, and it became a standard medical procedure:

1) Would you take it?

2) How would this change attitudes towards homosexuality, or any other sexual orientation?

#1 Shadstack, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
  2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    1. Not a blood sample, but there was this test John Barrowman did in the US (seen in the show Nature Vs. Nurture) where they put pictures and measured sexual activity, and no one can fool it. I thought it looked quite cool to do.

2. Probably not, unless they said I was something other than what I thought it was. That would be weird for me.

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sure it may change a few peoples minds, but I think there would still be homophobes. Some people just don't want to consider the facts/truth, so they'll say the test is fake or something.

I don't think I would take the test. It has the potential to be very dangerous, so I hope something like that wouldnt be a reality.

4. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

1) I'm not sure I would take it right now personally, although I think it's something I would want. Sometimes I wish that was an option!

2) I feel like it would hopefully shift attitudes towards homosexuality in a positive way. I think at first it wouldn't change much. I think people would still have hateful attitudes towards it, although it would mean not as many would be making the "it's a choice" argument, and maybe they would come to see it differently.

5. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would said test also test gender identity as well?

I ask because if the test sees me as female then it would say I'm straight
    If it saw me as male (as I rightfully am) than it would show I am gay.

If the test said I was something other than gay, such as bi or pan, I guess it would change how I view my sexuality but not how I view homosexuality as a whole.
    I don't know if it would change people's views at all. Haters still gonna hate after all

#5 Matto_Corvo, May 15, 2016
  6. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1) Yes. It'd be interesting if it came up with how I see myself, or whether it'd come up different. Well, that is if the results are confidential. I don't want homophobes trying to track me down to kill me or something.

2) My inner pessimist would say that having such a discovery could seriously backfire in the wrong hands. Think of all the terrorists and countries where being gay is illegal and may result in death in some cases. They'd be screwed if they were forced to take it against their will. Think of all the closeted people that could be exposed by this.

Kind of reminds me of that documentary "Cure me, I'm gay!" where a bunch of "ex-gays" agreed to take a sexuality test on camera, only to back out a few days later and not actually take the test. Not one of them showed up. So much for "ex-gay". :icon_wink

#6 Canterpiece, May 15, 2016
  7. KnucklesNation

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd probably take it just for the heck of it but it ultimately wouldn't change my views or anything.

8. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would take it just for fun. I wouldn't trust it if it said I was something other than gay, but I would be mildly annoyed.

I guess if such a test existed, it would help prove that one's sexual orientation is a biological thing and not a choice. ^^

9. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would there be a certificate or membership card after the test?

I would be willing to take the test but only out of curiosity. It probably wouldn't affect my view of my sexuality.

I don't think it would be a good thing to be able to test for, especially if it was available from birth. Imagine how many people would damage, abuse, maybe even murder their child if they found out it was gay.
    It would however be good if it was something you could integrate with a smartwatch. That way you could easily tell if it was worth flirting with someone or making a move etc. :grin:

10. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Good for the first hour, until someone figures out it's the best way to locate the next hate-crime target.

If it would become a readily available test, I would be concerned some employers would use it in the same way as routine drug screening tests.

Then there's the pre-natal screening version of the test...

11. thepandaboss

I imagine it would be more like "Oh lookit, this blood test shows you're hot and horny for Hugh Jackman. Take that as you will, friend."

But I'd take it for sure. It'd be nice to stop doubting myself.

12. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I wouldn't take it as I'm already 100% certain of my sexuality. Also I don't think it would be a good practice since there will almost always be people against us, especially within the religious communities since for some of them, their religion trumps everything else and the test wouldn't have an affect on their views since they believe what their religion says regarding it is the only valid answer.

13. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I don't think I would because I'm content with my sexuality and don't need it to be validated by a test. I've stopped particularly caring for the nature vs nurture debate a long time ago because queer people should not have to justify having rights due to the fact that they're "born that way", they should just have rifts to begin with.

14. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Yes, I would be done with questioning for good. I hate anxiety.
    2. I can't see how it would.

15. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah ha. I see. I'd proba my still take it. I mean there is always the chance I am repressing attraction to females and I would like to know for sure.

16. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1) YES! I'd be done questioning. "What if you're really straight. What if you're really gay?" Shut up brain.

2) I think it would change things slightly. Less people would be homophobic I think, but there'd still be plenty out there.

17. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if it's a valid test, it'll come out bisexual for me. :lol:

18. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (1) Why would I bother? I mean, I guess if it was included in my insurance, and was part of standard care, I wouldn't exactly *balk*...but I might decline just in *case* the bastards tried to make me pay for it.

(2) All of the energy that has gone into persuading people that they *aren't* really LGBT would suddenly go into medications to *stop* them from being LGBT. I mean, come on, if we can medically *detect* it, surely we can medically *alter* it. In fact, this might well be a good reason to just give a blanket "no thanks" to #1...I would prefer to *not* have medical records *proving* that I have what others might call a "treatable condition".

19. Qhamilfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    1. A test that would give me a definite answer on my sexuality is literally my biggest dream.

2. I believe it might change some people's attitudes towards LGBT+ people, but some people will continue to be bigots. They will probably be the same people that believe vaccines cause autism.

20. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with this. People are already brutal to us, we don't need them to think we're in need of treatment.