1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hand holding...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by cjtom, Feb 27, 2009.

1. cjtom

cjtom Guest

So I was shopping in Manchester (UK) the other day and saw two guys holding hands. This surprised me for a few reasons. Firstly, though manchester has a Gay Village, I still find it rather scary and dangerous. Also, I didn't realise that it was accepted so much here! (it was a very busy public place!)

So have any of you seen gay and lesbian couples holding hands?

Whats your opinion of it? Do you think your community is ready for it?

Would you do it with your partner?

2. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Didn't like it a few years ago when I was homophobic, now I'm glad to see it. Saw a couple of good lookers in San Francisco and thought ' you go girls!'

3. Melissa

I think it is wonderful! I saw a gay couple holding hands in a museum in Philadephia a few weeks back. Some people were staring and making rude comments, but I just smiled and said "Good for them!" Whether or not people are ready for it, it's here baby! ^^
    If I ever find that special person, I'd have no problem holding hands in public!

4. Greggers

If seen two guys get married in Vancouver, not alot surprises me when im there.

5. SmileItsNicole

i think that if you love someone and want to hold their hand its definatly NOT a crime :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: lol ppl should be fine with it and the more you come out it happens to be that ppl are really accepting, at least here in calii

6. olides84

Hah, I probably saw 4 or 5 different gay couples holding hands in my city just tonight. It's finally not fricking freezing so lots of people were out. And this was in the general central area, not near the gay bars/clubs. But, Belgium is quite open-minded and the city I live in is supposedly the most gay-friendly place in the country.

7. Nodnarb

I see the two lesbian couples here at school all the time. I've heard some people make comments about them, but most people really don't care.

I was touring Terrace Hill once, and there were two guys that came in together. I immediately pegged them as a couple. Sure enough, when we were leaving I saw them holding hands as they walked to their car:slight_smile:

8. BlueRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't say that I've seen any gay couple holding hands that I can remember. But, then, I do live in rural Georgia - although campus is generally more liberal/accepting.

But if I did, I probably wouldn't think much of it. Now if I saw two guys making out, that would be a different story.

9. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

10. mikeh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's kind of funny that this topic came up now, just last night my boyfriend and I were holding hands and inadvertently walked past a prayer group as we were coming out of a GLBT meeting. We didn't even notice when it happened, but our friend that was with us said, "you just completely shocked those people back there" LOL Apparently we turned quite a few heads. I couldn't care less, they didn't say anything, and we didn't even notice they were looking at the time.

It's surprising, we hold hands all the time around Raleigh, and it has never been an issue. If we want to hold hands, we just do it, the hell with anyone else. Of course on a large college campus I wouldn't expect anyone to care. We walked past a whole ROTC group and nobody even batted an eye. It's quite nice that nobody around here cares :icon_bigg

11. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would probably look at them. I wouldn't defend them if Im with family. But I would be thinking they are brave and good for them. Then I'll move on with my day.

12. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

I've seen women holding hands, not men. Although it's normal for young girls here to walk holding hands or arm in arm, you can tell which ones are not just friends :icon_wink.

13. Dakku

The only same sex couple I ever saw holding hands was at high school, but I live in a place where everyone has to conform to 'normality' or be outcast.
    ]: I hope when I move away for university it'll be different.

14. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Jack, you can defend someone's RIGHT to hold hands in America without coming out. I did when I was 'straight' and still do cause I'm not out much....

15. Nameless Hope

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've held hands with people I'm not dating, but that's just me...
    I never did hold hands with my boyfriend in public though.

16. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

It disgusts me kinda. Either sex does, really. May just be my homophobia coming into play. But if they're all flirty and lovey dovey in public I just wanna shout: "get a damn room" regardless if they're gay or straight.

17. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still love seeing it. I remember when I first started going into boystown, I would get such a rush seeing it. It was a gentle reminder "you're among friends."

I usually don't go for it as I'm not really a hand-holder. But if he wants to, I'm willing to oblige. It's sad if it offends someone, but tough beans.

Oh, and luuuuuv Manchester btw!

18. Bryan

whenever I see two openly gay people flaunting it in public, it brings a huge smile to my face. It happens alittle where I live, but I think it pisses off the crazy old people (of which, we have many). If I am in Miami or New York, I see it all of the time.

19. Witch of the We

California's version of Munchkinland and the West
    I think I would freak out if I couldn't hold my boyfriend's hand. But it's one thing that I do like, being close to him. Not to mention that his hand is HUGE compared to mine. But for me it's like a big f*** you to all of the homophobes at school.

20. Bunny

Unfortunately, no. Never seen anything like that around here. u-u