1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone wanted me to bring this up another time.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Secrets5, May 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

The feminism topics were shut down, and was reading through them. One person, forget the username, sorry, said that if I want to discuss men's rights, I should do this another time. So this is another time. Sorry for my obscure title, I just thought obscurity would be better here to avoid trolling.

What I want to bring up is the fact that yes, I do understand women have it worse than men. However, there are some men who do face inequalities and these are largely ignored because people think that getting men equal to women is somehow making women's rights seem less important. That's not what I'm doing, I'm trying to get you to see that men's rights are equal to women's rights.

1. Men do get abused
    Although people would like to pretend that men are ''men'' in the sense they cannot be hurt, this is far from the case. There have been reports over the years of women beating up their husbands and having sex with boys. I think it is harder for men to get out of abusive relationships for the reason that people don't think they are being abused. People will say ''it's just a joke'' or ''that's cool'' if the man's been forced to have sex with a woman.

2. Men have to work longer than women to get pension
    Men's pension age is currently at 65, whilst women's is at 60; despite men statistically more likely to die sooner than women.

3. The education system is failing boys
    With education leaning towards the feminisation of things such as requiring longer phrasing (even though shorter phrasing will say the exactly same thing just in less words) means that young men (GCSE and A-level) get lower marks in B-TEC subjects.

4. There are no shelters for men who are abused
    There are 0% of shelters that men can go to when they are abused, and only 2% will admit some men.

5. Men are increasingly told they do not have the right to speak
    Particularly with white-cis-straight men, but some gay men as well, are constantly told to ''check their privileged'' so any time they'd like to speak their mind, they aren't allowed to just based off biological characteristics and not actually what they're saying

6. Men are less likely to be given their child in event of divorce
    This one can work both ways. Women claim this is sexist to them as it is making them assuming the nurturing role, but this is a topic about men. Anyway, men not being allowed to look after their children may not be able to show the nurturing role they might have. A man who wants his child has to appeal for it, but a woman gets it automatically even though there has been no case for her to see if she's the best to raise her child.

7. The right to an abortion.
    Although men can't tell women what to physically do with their bodies, women are telling men what to physically do with theirs. I.E. if a man and a woman have a baby but decide to split (see 6) the woman will demand that the man has to pay ''child benefits'' to her. If the guy loses his job and can't pay, he will go to jail. Even though the money doesn't go to the child, it goes to her. A man who is not ready to have a job or look after a child should be allowed to release of all duty and all privileged in terms of his child. This does not give men a right to ''knock up a woman'' because as women have four criteria before being allowed an abortion, men would have criteria too to make sure he didn't just ''knock her up'' and there's a real reason why he can't support the child.

8. Even if a man is abused, he's told that it's not abused.
    If a woman abuses an innocent man or boy, she will say it's ''an attack against the patriarchy'' even though that man or boy hasn't done anything. This argument pretty much allows a woman to do what she'd like, and means that men and boys who are being abused aren't being taken seriously.

9. Everything that is about men not having rights somehow gets made about women.
    You tell me in a feminism talk that I cannot talk about men's rights (even though feminism is supposed to be about men and women's rights) but when I talk about men's rights seemingly women's rights is allowed to be brought up. A boy being told to ''stop crying, be a man, grow up'' - this is nothing to do with women. It is about a boy being allowed to be a boy (a boy isn't a man - age wise) and even if it was a man crying, why not? He's still a man. He should be allowed to cry without being told to ''grow up'', and even then, grown-ups cry.

10. Historical rights
    Things that are pretty much obsolete now but since women love bringing up the past [from UK perspective] I'm going to do so here. Men were still hung 10 years after women's hanging stopped. Women were allowed to be in homosexual relationships where men were chemically castrated or put in jail. A man was looked down upon if he wanted to cook or clean - so even if he wanted to help, societal pressure meant he couldn't.

There's a variety of references that I've got to this from news articles to my AS and A2 level sociology book [2008 and 2009 editions webb et al.]

I'm sure I've got some criticism to this, so love to hear from you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.