1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

crying at a film

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by carrie90, Feb 28, 2009.

1. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    the other night i was watching a film called prayers for bobby (tell me if anybody has seen it)

anyway its about a young boy in 1970s america who realises he is gay but is so messed up about it because he comes from a very religious family and he doesnt want them to hate him. His mother keeps trying to fix him by making him pray cause she thinks homosexuality is a sin (btw the mother was played by Sigourney Weaver amazin actress in my opinion) eventually he becomes so despressed that bobby kills himself and it makes the mother question all her beliefs she learns more about homosexuality and eventually accepts that its not a sin at the end she marches in a gay pride parade and sees a young boy who looks like her son and she hugs him

I found myself crying at the end scene and that made me wonder why do ppl cry at movies? also have any of you ever cried at any films?

2. Bryan44

#2 Bryan44, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  3. carrie90

this thread isnt just about the film im just wondering why movies make us cry and what movies other people have cried at

4. Blazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, as it was on TV today, I'll bring it up.

Bridge To Terabithia.

SPOILERS: (Highlight to read)
    I read the book in English in year 7 (I was 12) and didn't think anything of the ending. But seeing the movie when it was released in the cinemas the next year, I cried at the end. I was with friends, too. Though we were close friends, so they didn't care. I wasn't the only one in our group that cried, though. I knew that Leslie was going to die, but the movie just made it sad for me. Ugh, I didn't even watch then end of it today cause:
    A) I'd be sad.
    B) People turned up.

If you haven't seen it, watch it. It's pretty cool, otherwise. (For a Disney flick)

5. Crackajack

Crackajack Guest

Man, "Prayers for bobby" Is a good Film, I havn't watched it all yet, But I can see what its like its amazing.

6. pirateninja

Prayers for Bobby had me sobbing nearly the whole way through it; when she was trying to change him, when he committed suicide, when she realised that nothing could be done to change him, the ending... Sigourney Weaver is an AH-Mazing actress, I could barely watch the scene when she went to the church when it was raining and just broke down because it was just far too convincing.

I cry at far too many films, I get it from my mom; she cried when somebody won Masterchef the other day (UK peeps will understand).

7. Dakku

... Crying at movies?
    Do you want the list? :grin:
    The Lion King 1 + 2, Bambi, Land Before Time, all the Pokemon movies, a whole bunch of others I can't remember... (Those are just the lamest ones. :icon_redf)

Really, I don't cry because of the movies, but because of the music that goes along with the sad bits.

8. cjtom

cjtom Guest

I cry at some but I think the one that always gets me is "Pay it Forward" The ending kills me and I just sit sobbing for about ten minutes!

9. carrie90

omg ye pay it forward where the little boy gets stabbed that made me cry

10. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Never cried to a movie unless you count music videos. M- ayumi, and hurt- christina aguilera

11. Courtneyyy

I cried in the Rugrats movie...

wtf?

12. riddlerno1

ive said it before but what the heck, Stand by me, at the end.......always brings tears to my eyes!

13. DexterMorgan

Milk made me want to cry at the end, but I couldn't do it. I'm not much of a crier, it kinda bothers me that I can't cry sometimes...

14. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Was it rugrats in Paris?

15. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not against the male pyche, straight or bent to NOT cry. There are many movies that have the rivers flowing for me. Far too many to name. Used to be the pits when I was a 'tough' guy...now it feels better to cry.

16. Sarah

I cried in "Bridge to Tribithia" lol. and a couple other movie. not lik full out sob but just a bit teary

17. FinalFantasyFan

I can't even begin to count the number of movies that I have cried because of. I guess it feels good to let out some emotion in this way. Something about catharsis, blah, blah, blah, I never actually read Aristotle's Poetics. Prayers for Bobby had me in tears for like, hours the first time I saw it, which made things incredibly convenient that my roommate was out of town. Any movie with really good character development will do it to me though. If I have that connection, then I sort of forget that it's a movie and I'm not right there experiencing what the characters are.

Music can definitely push me over the edge if it's done well.

18. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    We cry at movies because something in it touches us in a way that we have related to in real life.

19. Dazed

Dazed Guest

i cried during that movie too. and during prayers for bobby and the notebook.

im not sure why i cried. i think certain movies make people react differently.
    and maybe i connected something that had happened in my life with those movies.

20. HeronsStorm

I think the reason they make us cry is because they touch emotions we usually try to ignore. We see that others feel the same pain we do. That's my theory on it anyway.