1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Straight" Guy outs himself

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FinallyOut2015, May 21, 2016.

1. FinallyOut2015

Hi all,
    I just had to tell this story, because it is just too funny.

In 2015 I came out to a (now former) friend of mine. He gave me a hug and was very supportive. A short time later he played an investigator in a murder mystery play. I asked for him to set aside a ticket for me, and he sat me with his parents (whom I have known for many years) because they enjoy talking with me. Also seated at the table was my "fag hag" and her sister, along with another couple whom we didn't know.

The night started off well until his mother started asking me about my political views. Being a gentleman, I stated that I didn't believe that was the venue for that level of discourse. His mother persisted, and became frustrated over my resistence. Finally she said "Well, if we can't talk about politics, what CAN we discuss?" to which I replied " Well, I came out of the closet in February". This did not sit well with her, as she is very Republican. His father started asking me a question about my experience, but the play started as he finished his question. I took the opportunity to text my friend to inform him of what had happened, but unfortunately, he hadn't seen it.

Recently my friend and I had become closer, and I have always received vibes from him indicating that there was a desire to have an even closer relationship. He invited himself to attend Pride with me, ditching his current "girlfriend" to do so (without telling her ahead of time). At Pride he strutted around like a queen, asked me about sexual position preferences, and on the way home we sang along to the radio together until Nights in White Satin came on. I stopped singing...he belted it out as if on American Idol. He then helped me to buy some better clothes at JC Penney, folded and bagged them as the cashier rang them up, and then carried them to the car for me. Yes, he also held the door for me when we entered the store. What a day! He was certainly a gentleman....but not gay. LOL

90% of the people who know him believe that he is in the closet, and he spent most of his childhood fending off the stereotype. That is why what happened next took me by complete surprise.

As a part of the play, the characters come around to the tables to answer questions in an effort to see if the audience can guess the murderer. As my friend approached the table my back was to him, so I had to look over my shoulder to see him approach. This was a fortunate position as his parents couldn't see my face/response to what he said.

Without knowledge that I had just come out to his conservative mother, my friend looks directly at me, points and says "I have had my eye on you for some time, young man". That statement on its own would not be suspect if stated by a straight acting guy in the role of a law enforcement officer. But given the way he presents, and his history over the 4 decades he has been alive, as well as the fact that he has never been married, and meets any number of other stereotypes.... it was perceived by many as more than intended. My "fag hag" looked at his mother's face and later told me that there was a look of sheer horror. It seems that somehow she had the impression that not only was her son bursting out of the closet in public, but had already declared himself in a relationship with a dang liberal. LOL

After the play was over,his parents made a hasty exit without speaking to their son. I discussed with my "fag hag" friend their impression of the situation, and we agreed that there was likely going to be some interesting discussion in their household that evening. Images of his mom sitting in a corner of a room holding her knees rocking back and forth were discussed. His family is very reserved when it comes to how they are perceived in public, and this incident had the potential of causing a major social implosion for their reputation. We don't know what was nor what was not said between my friend and his parents. His only response the next day was to indicate that his parents were upset that I wouldn't discuss politics. To this day he maintains that he is 110% straight, despite substantial evidence of flirtatious behavior towards me since he was 16. BTW, I am 8 years older than him.

Our friendship has since terminated, not because of this incident, but due to an issue of money. He knows that I am available to support him emotionally if he needs it, but we both have decided that our friendship is not a good match.