1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vegans and vegetarians!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by devotions, May 22, 2016.

1. devotions

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am newly vegetarian, consuming minimal amounts of dairy and transitioning to fully vegan over the summer. I have a feeling a lot of you guys might be either vegan or vegetarian, so if you are then come here and show yourselves :grin:

I also have a question for you vegans out there. I am in need of dental implants, but before I get the implants I need bone marrow to strengthen the bone in the areas where the teeth will be put. Most of this bone marrow will come from a cadaver, but there is a possibility that some of it will come from a cow. Should I request not to have any from the cow or is that dumb since it's a dental implant and most of it will be from a dead person either way?

2. IrishAli

Out Status:
    Some people
    I am vegetarian used to be Vegan but due to health issues and having an allergy to large amounts of Soya I had to go back to being Veggie :/ however I still use some soya based products

3. SAYGEUR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm, have to admit my time being vegetarian was an awesome time, however in my current situation, i wont be able to survive being vegetarian, as currently no one else in my house is vegetarian/is very accepting of other vegetarians, unless i want to eat the same salad over and over again, i cant be vegetarian. However, i did manage that for 2 years. Somehow. I was essentially a zombie for those two years however... (also i get the excuse of "just cook your own food" however TL: DR, my mum is a kitchen hog and hates me being in the kitchen, so that wasn't really an option.)

Personally, i don't really feel that it is necessary to be Vegan, i cant have a lot of milk products as it is, and i personally wouldn't of survived the 2 years i was vegetarian if i didn't have eggs... they were essentially my life.

(also consider that i didn't purchase eggs from the store, I have family that owns a lot of chickens, which they do give a lot of space and room, and they have a lot of eggs all the time. I mean, eggs are essentially chicken periods, and the chickens were just really allowed to do whatever. )

When i do move out of home, i will make sure to go back to being an awesome vegetarian, as its just so much cheaper anyway.

4. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I heard that generally the bone marrow come from other parts of your body. But there are cases where they come from cadavers or cows. I think you can talk to your dental surgeon and ask him where he plans on getting one from. I see no harm in that. :slight_smile:

5. Athame

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    My mom and I are vegetarians and I am transitioning to a vegan diet. :slight_smile:

6. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a vegetarian, as are the rest of my family.

7. Vashta Nerada

Vegan here. BTW you're making a good call! It's 10x easier living la vida vegan during summer I've found, though I eat all veg fruit and grains etc. so not big on the junk food side of veganism.
    I would say don't forgo the treatment or anything, but I'd be pretty surprised if your choice wasn't accommodated

8. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm vegetarian, borderline vegan.

9. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to be vegetarian. The only meat I eat now is chicken, I cut all red meats out.

10. HerrinDesFeuers

I prefer vegan food, but most of the time I just eat vegetarian food because being vegan would be more complicted since I still live with my family. Maybe I'll go all vegan when I move out and live alone.
    I could never go back to eating meat. After almost 8 years without it I just find it sooo disgusting.

11. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't be vegan for two reasons:
    1. I wouldn't get enough protein, as tofu is expensive and I don't have much money
    2. I'd have to give up cheese!

12. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    @Libra Neko Black beans has twice the protein of pork, and more than e.g. cheese.

Vegan since two years or so. I went fully vegan right away on a whim, lol. I'm not, like, ethically vegan though. I don't necessarily oppose the killing of animals for food or clothes or whatever. But I do see animals as individual persons, and since such a large portion of the animal farming industry doesn't afford the animals dignity or a good life, I'm boycotting in protest; I'm also boycotting it for envirinmental reasons. But I do like meat and stuff, and if I'd go out fishing or hunting, or if I was on a farm where I could be positive the animals were treated right, I'd gladly dine on whatever's on my plate.

13. insert name

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    17 years vegetarian, everyone in my family is to be honest, so I'm lucky.

14. Plattyrex

I want to be vegetarian so bad. I love animals so much and I hate eating. A vegetarian diet for me would be way too expensive for my family, so I can't. I'm hoping one day I'll have enough money to stop eating animals.

15. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Platty, a vegetarian diet is usually cheaper than one with fish and meat.

16. Plattyrex

Really? Cause my mom always says that cheap processed and frozen meat and stuff is the cheapest thing we can get. Is she lying or something?

17. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think she is lying, only that she is unaware how easy and cheap going veggie can be.

Really cheap staple foods for vegetarians are:
    > Beans (just as much protein as meat)
    > Rice
    > Noodles
    > Potatoes
    > Canned veggies (less than $1 per can, and a can will last for 2 meals)

With the above ingredients, you can toss in one or two fresh vegetables and some spices or a sauce, and you're good to go. I've got lots of cheap meal ideas that would accommodate a vegetarian diet that I'd be happy to share with you anytime. Just hit up my wall.

But to start, look below for some low cost ideas

BREAKFAST
    Banana oatmeal
    Apple and peanut butter (or apple with a glass of milk is another good combo)
    Toast and a yoghurt
    French toast

LUNCH
    Rice and fried veggies
    Veggie sandwhich (same as any other sandwhich minus the meat)
    Peanut butter and jelly sandwhich
    Hummus and chips or veggies (like bell peppers or baby carrots)

DINNER
    Baked potato/yam topped with a veggie or beans (try adding a soft-boiled egg for a delicious meal)
    Noodles with a simple oil-based dressing and whatever veggies are on hand

Any of the lunch options above would work too, or sub in a vegetarian version of whatever your family is having that night.

18. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm, I might be a vegetarian if I just cared enough to give up meat. I love ham and chicken too much. I can't do it. :lol: Also my parents would never let me be a vegetarian.

19. Formality

I was vegetarian for about a year but I started eating meat again. I got very into nutrition and started reading all kinds of research and realized quite fast that a vegetarian diet is not good for our bodies. Sure we can survive on it, but I don't see the point in harming my body simply to appease some idea that killing animals would be immoral. Eating animals is part of human nature, our bodies evolved on a meat diet for millions of years. Meat and animal fat is the reason we have such big and complex brains. Lest we forget that our poo is what gives life to the plants, whom in turn give life to ruminants and other plant eaters, that later on give life to other animals. You cannot deny how nature works. Sure I would agree that in a way I am immoral since: for one I don't kill the animals myself and two I do not return my poo to nature, but I'm not gonna go out and poo in my garden simply to feel more ethical, nor will I buy personal organically raised livestock so I can slaughter it myself. I do try my best to make sure that the meat I eat is Swedish and organic though.

I am however still just as empathetic of animals. I just don't view nature and our place in it the same way as vegans and vegetarians do any longer. I also dislike the way some vegans/vegetarians talk about how immoral meat eaters are without even realizing the damage agriculturally based diets cause. Just look at America and how the prairie has been completely destroyed to make place for crops. Less than 1% of the prairie remains.

Destroying ecosystems, cutting/burning down forests to make place for crops is in no way more moral than eating food that was produced in those grasslands or forests. Imagine how many animals are dependent on the lands that we humans tear down to make place for monocultural farmlands. Anything that causes harm to the production of the one crop the land is dedicated to is considered a pest and must be dealt with. That includes any animal that lives on the land and eats from the crops, everything from rabbits to larvae to bugs. These are species that has inhabited that land and has been part of those everchanging ecosystems since millions of years. Until agriculture came along.

Most agriculture on this planet is in no way a moral nor sustainable way to produce food. I am urging people to become more aware of how our food is produced and what agriculture actually is and what it does to our environment. I don't have any idea for a sustainable alternative that could produce enough food to feed the whole entire planet, but here's to hoping someone can figure out a way to save our planet before it is too late.

#19 Formality, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  20. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would go vegetarian if my family wouldn't give me such a hard time about it (I know....I'm a push over :frowning2: ).

I might try it once I've left home. I may have a weird view on it, but for me it'd be more about sustainability, and how the animal lived before it died and how it died rather than the fact that an animal died for me to eat.