1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for transmen and transwomen

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by littleraven, May 23, 2016.

1. littleraven

Maybe this is in the wrong spot. I'm not sure, though.

Anyway, my question is:
    Do us non-binary folks make things (life, progress, etc.) harder for you guys? I've heard before that we do, but I want to hear from actual Trans people rather than from ????.

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I don't think so. Non-binary individuals have every right to respect and honor as binary individuals. If anything, I would assume that it's harder for non-binaries because of the maddeningly strict gender divisions in society of "male" or "female."

The only things I take issue with are:
    (a) bigoted or otherwise ignorant people who discriminate and hate on non-binaries for no logical reason.
    (b) fanciful labels for non-binary identites which don't exist (like otherkin, for example). This trend is indeed harmful to society's progress in taking trans-people seriously.

Otherwise, I'll support people who are genuine in their identity as non-binary.

#2 Kodo, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, non-binary folks do not make things harder

Gender hand never been binary, and neither has sex. Hence non-binary genders and intersex people.

4. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I really don't feel like it's the case.

I can only speak about what's happening in Quebec, since this is what I know, but non-binary people are included in the things we fight for.

For example, we're trying to implement an X gender marker for those who don't wish to have either a F or a M on their paper.

For names and surgeries, we all need it, so you're not excluded in that.

As for if non-binary people make it so we're taken less seriously, I don't think that's the case either. Like, if someone doesn't take you guys seriously, they usually don't take us seriously either. As for allies, most of those I know support us both.

All in all, we should fight together instead of with each other :wink:

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. For me, the only people who make things harder for us are otherkin, and those who lie to their doctors to get transition material and then go on to sue them if they regret their transition. I've heard of things like this happening, and those people just end up making it harder for trans people to get access to health care they desperately need and their antics can get clinics shut down. (I don't know their name, but they were on T for years (I think 12 years) and post op; and then they detransitioned and became a douchecanoe like Dirt and wrote a book full of horrible shit.)

Other than that, the non-binary community doesn't make things harder. They should have the same access to transition material as the rest of the trans community (if that's something the individual wants or is interested in).

6. Jellal

No. As far as I'm concerned we're in the same sinking ship.

7. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I've met some nb people that have been really prejudiced in that changing one's body is wrong and who believe that gender expression is all there is to gender as a whole, which I find damn annoying. Nevertheless, I don't think they do much harm, at least not on an individual basis; although structurally they might do some 'bad' in that cis people will think nb people are even more weird or attention-seeking or whatever, lump nb's together with 'binary' trans folk, and ostrasize the latter group more because of it. Though they might also do the opposite and help breaking down gender norms, which helps us all.

8. Glowing Eyes

No you don't. As for the stereotypical, vocal, annoying-as-crap, label-maker types? They do. They make gender identity look like a silly concept. They actually validate some of the stereotypes put on the trans and NB communities. We should just ignore them and show that most of us are nothing like that.

#8 Glowing Eyes, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
  9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See most people can understand transgender even if they don't approve. Non binary is simply hard for people to comprehend. So no, it doesn't make it harder on binary trans people.

The thing I see that are hardest for trans people.

1.) Trans women being seen as women. Clearly all of us are gay crossdressers.
    2.) Trans men being seen as men. Clearly all of them are butch lesbians.
    3.) People having an innate grammatical and biological need to gender assign non binary people. And even if they do try or know, it's hard to describe or properly assign since it isn't generally part of the English lexicon.