1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Disney Characters?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Renegades, May 23, 2016.

1. Renegades

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So, recently I have been reading a lot of conspiracy articles and got into the topic of characters in Disney movies who could possibly be, or are most likely to be gay. I'm going to name a few, just to see what everybody else thinks.

Also, I am kind of going to go by some stereotypes in this, but I am not trying to offend anyone.

#1-Elsa: Frozen
    Must I really say anything? There was never any mention for a man in Elsa's life. She is straight forward, confident, and very independent. My thinking is that the biggest giveaway is the scene when she is walking towards the balcony in her new castle as the sun rises. Most straight girls don't walk like that.

#2- Oaken: Frozen(the guy in the trading post with the sauna)
    There was a lot of debate about this guy, but a huge giveaway is not his flamboyant personality, but when he shows Anna his family. When they greet him back, it is clear that the oldest person in the sauna is the buff guy in the middle.

#3- Genie: Aladdin
    You may be wondering why I think Genie is a good candidate for this list, and there are multiple answers, but the biggest one is the right earring rule. If a guy only has his right ear pierced, that is totally gay. It makes gay guys easier to spot, which makes a lot of girl-loving girls jealous. Genie does in fact have his right ear, and only his right ear pierced. I noticed that earlier when looking at pictures of disney characters, trying to spot the gays for myself.

#4- Merida: Brave
    If Merida doesn't scream lesbian, I don't know who does. A combo of her independence, attitude towards marriage with a man, tomboyishness, and unruly red mane point right towards feminism. I was personally really excited when Brave was released, because Merida seemed just like me. A blue-eyed red-head with a personality to match the hair, disinterest in romance, and on point archery skills. Also, something in the media that made it clear not all red-heads come from Ireland. Merida is Scottish. If Merida was willing to basically poison her mother to get out of marrying a man, that seems pretty lesbian to me.

#5- Hugo: The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    Hugo is the plump gargoyle of the castle, one of Quasimodo's faithful wing men and friend, and a very expressive being. In the movie, he expressed a clear liking for Djali, Esmerelda's little goat pal. He makes a perfect gay best friend to Quasimodo and the other gargoyles.

#6- Terk: Tazan
    I'm not saying this just because Terk was voiced the out and proud Rosie O'Donnell. Many people couldn't even tell that Terk was a girl when first watching this movie. She is a clear tomboy, with only guy friends, her best friends being Tarzan and Tantor. She also shows no interest in the male apes at any age, only her curiosity with Tarzan when Kala first brings him into the group.

#7- Pleakly: Lilo & Stitch
    Pleakly is in fact a male alien, which I didn't believe at first because of the wig and ways of dressing. That is, until I learned what it meant to many people to dress in drag. Many drag queens are gay males, and Pleakly clearly likes dressing in drag a lot. He loves to wear the black wig, and tries on Nani's clothes in other Lilo & Stitch movies. In Leroy & Stitch, he calls Jumba over the phone and is clearly making flirty remarks, even referring to himself as "Aunt Pleakly".

#8- Ursula: The Little Mermaid
    Come on. Ursula's look was inspired by a drag queen guys. She looks, sounds, and acts like a typical butch lesbian. Do I really need to say anything else?

#9- Gaston: Beauty and the Beast
    Yes, he may be very masculine and strong, and seems to find Belle extremely attractive, but he is like the Muscle Mary of the Disney world. There are many gay men out there who want to be buff, strong, and very masculine for the men in their life, and Gaston does not seem to be an exception. Even if the only man he is constantly around is LeFou, who seems even more gay than Gaston with his high-pitched voice, goofy personality, and assertiveness for Gaston's needs.

#10- Nakoma: Pocahantas
    I think I saved one of the best for last. For those who are unsure of who I am talking about, Nakoma is Pocahantas' best human friend in the movie. Though she does refer to Kocoum as 'handsome', that sure as hell doesn't mean she is straight. If she was, Kocoum would be 'hot', not handsome'. Girl-loving girls can find men cute, as long as they don't want to get it on with them. I could tell that the top warrior of the tribe was good-looking, but felt nothing else. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only lesbian who would celebrate if Disney announced that Nakoma is gay, because she is extremely hot. Also, when she goes to tell Kocoum that she is worried about Pocahantas, it seems like more than the worry of a friendship. She may very well be the typical lesbian who falls for her straight best friend, assuming that Pocahantas is really straight.

So who do you guys think seems the most gay? Share who and why, and if you have some characters you think could also be here, share those too!

2. Jellal

Frollo obvs

[​IMG]

3. AlamoCity

I'll just say I was always confused by Terk from Tarzan. Was it a girl that acted like a boy? I never knew the sex if Terk.

4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
  5. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Oh no, don't get me started :lol:

There are a few duos who I always read as gay. Timon and Pumba (Lion King) and Bagheera and Baloo (Jungle Book) immediately jump to mind. As a kid it made sense to me that they were together in some way, even (in Bagheera and Baloo's case) within the nonDisney books. I also thought Lumiere and Cogsworth (Beauty and the Beast) were together at some point. From what I recall you could see it as gay or possibly asexual Cogsworth and bisexual Lumiere.

I only wish there was a case for Robin Hood in this way since its my favorite movie... You might be able to say something about Little John or Lady Kluck's interests toward their respective fox companions.

I've always been fond of Mulan, and I've seen a case made for closeted gay or bisexual Shane and trans man Mulan. The explanation for Shane being his interest in Ping (and Mulan). The case for Mulan is based on her deciding to be a man (pun intended), but sadly that's a bit rocky as women couldn't be soldiers there... Looking only at the first movie I think you may also interpret her as a lesbian who respects her commanding officer and humors his feelings out of duty... or perhaps a mutual understanding of their true interests.

In terms of villains I believe Hades (Hercules) and Scar (Lion King) were coded to be gay, I think this is a common interpretation with Disney villains. Of course Ursula falls here too.

You've mentioned Pleakly and Terk; I think a case could be made for femme nonbinary or transwoman Pleakly and trans man Terk. I've always liked Jumba and Pleakly as a couple though.

This got long....LGBT characters and Disney are two interests of mine so I could go on! But I'll leave it at that :thumbsup:

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this a load of cobblers, to be completely honest.

7. Blackbirdz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The Reluctant Dragon

[YOUTUBE]FuA8K1mQWMc[/YOUTUBE]

8. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty sure Poe Dameron is gay, does that count?

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You forgot the best one!

Flower, from Bambi!
    [​IMG]

Though he does meet a girl, though he seems nervous. He's bi at a minimum :slight_smile:

10. kypso

Haha love this post! I think Merida

11. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Omg yes! Merida for sure.

12. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jafar from Aladdin is a definite.

Goofy is probably questioning.

13. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It should count. His actor, Oscar Isaac, said in an interview that he was playing romance for Poe and Finn's interactions. If anybody comes across that then please link it or something, haha. He definitely said it, I just can't remember how I originally found the source.

Also, never forget the PoeLipBite(TM):

[​IMG]

#13 Gunsmoke, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
  14. Butterfly2016

I agree with all of this. Every single one of them. This makes me so happy! lol

15. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was this one!
    [YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuAwgmz7jTc[/YOUTUBE]

There's actually a joke apparently, when John Boyega(Finn) is asked about it in interviews, he says something like "That relationship is real, but only in Oscar's head."

And yes, the lip bite!
    [​IMG]

16. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ooh, thanks for the link!

He did say that, but he also hinted at it in another interview, as in hinted that it could be a thing? Damn it John Boyega, please don't crush our hopes!

To be fair, even if he doesn't end up with Finn (although I'd love it if he did), he could still easily be gay. I really hope he is...

#16 Gunsmoke, May 24, 2016
  17. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd actually prefer if he was a well represented, bisexual character. But I think that may be asking a lot, so I'm holding out hope for gay!

Or how about some kind of pansexual, where he doesn't care about gender or species! lol

18. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Whilst I would (obviously!) love more bi representation, he just kind of comes across as gay to me, you know? (Do bisexuals even have a gaydar, haha.) I could easily see Finn or Kylo or Rey as bi/pan, though.

EDIT: Concept - everyone in the new trilogy is LGBTQ+.

#18 Gunsmoke, May 24, 2016
  19. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HA! I love it!

Producer: "I think we should make Poe gay, Finn bi, Rey a lesbian, Kylo asexual, and just for kicks, BB-8 is pansexual."

Disney exec: "What's pansexual? He's sexually attracted to frying pans?"

Producer: "No, it's kinda like bisexual but somehow different. They're special snowflake bisexuals who need another label to feel different from what I can tell."

Exec: "Okay, but can a droid have a sexual orientation? How does that work?"

Producer: "It's Star Wars, it doesn't matter how it works, we'll make something up."

Exec: "Okay, I'll get the email asking the West Borough Baptist Church not to picket the premier ready...."

*Disclaimer: I identify as pansexual, I was just making a joke.*

#19 BrookeVL, May 24, 2016
  20. Renegades

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Frollo, Cogsworth, and Flower definitely belong on this list!

---------- Post added 24th May 2016 at 05:36 PM ----------

Chi-Fu from Mulan is also a good contender for this list.