1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant: Gender separation for graduation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AngelLikesSpace, May 24, 2016.

1. AngelLikesSpace

Out Status:
    Some people
    This Saturday I'm graduating high school. Our school colors are maroon and gold. The way it has always been is that "boys wear maroon and girls wear gold." In many previous years, the girls had always complained about the ugly mustard color they had to wear. At the beginning of this year, the staff asked us to vote, everyone wears maroon or the old rules still apply, but there is a new gold color. I voted for everyone wears maroon, not only because I am a closeted transman myself and the idea of being gender separated in general sucks, but I hate that gold color. Even the new one. The vote came back and of course I have to wear the color that groups me with the girls. When I first heard this in the beginning of the school year I got upset. I quickly forgot about it, but coming home today from the rehearsal where there were separate lists on the wall for senior men and senior women to find their seat and with that gross looking gown that we get to keep for the rest of our lives really upset me again. I'm not sure if I really do hate gold or if I hate it because I'm being categorized with the gender I do not identify with. Luckily our seats aren't also gender separated. Our school actually had a transman graduate last year, but he was out so he got to wear the maroon. I would think for a school that likes to act like they're huge allies for the LGBTQ+ community that they would realize that some students can't be out and wouldn't gender separate the colors. I think they should have at least let people choose what color they wanted to wear, or just randomly gave out both colors. (Sorry if this doesn't belong here but I didn't really know which category to put it in).

2. thepandaboss

I don't blame you one bit. And I guess I just don't understand why everyone has to be separated in the first place. I've never graduated in a ceremony before (homeschooled in high school) but from the little experience I have with graduation ceremonies, why not just group everyone alphabetically anyway so it's easier for everyone to come on stage as they're called?

But I'm sorry, man, and I know it sucks. Congrats for graduating though and here's hoping that when you get to college (if you plan on it), you'll get to be yourself walking on the stage.

3. AlamoCity

Congratulations on graduating!

It seems to me the issue is not the color but the association. You could have the prettiest color belong to the girls and the ugliest color for the guys and I'm pretty sure you'd still want "the ugly one."

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I honestly don't know why society likes to separate every little thing based on gender, especially now that they know gay people exist they can't play the "What if they're attracted to eachother?!" card.

If they separated it based on race for example, there would be an uproar.

At least this particular school lets students who are out wear the right one, seems like most don't even do that.

#4 Kira, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
  5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My students are kind of upset that boys wear blue and girls white. And those colors to those genders only.

I wonder what the trans boy will get...

6. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yikes, that would annoy me so much. I hate it when things are divided by gender. I'm glad at my school it's the same color for everyone.

Exactly. >.<

7. AlamoCity

Make everyone wear purple :lol:.

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had to wear a white robe at my high school graduation since I was still female at the time. It's so annoying that something like this is separated by gender. I don't get why people think that this is such a good idea.

9. Plattyrex

That's dumb. Gender seperation is stupid and it's ridiculous that it's still socially acceptable at all.

10. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, congratulations on graduating!

But also yes, this sounds like a completely stupid tradition rooted in nothing much, thought up for some twisted sense of cute. Why not just hand the damned gowns out randomly, if one color is undesirable enough that nobody (or far less than half the graduates) would choose it?

I'm infuriated on your behalf. One more thing to hate about our culture.

11. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on graduation! I'm sorry to hear about the gender segregated colors for our robes though, that really is shitty. I really want to see more schools move away from that towards a single color or allowing all students to choose which color they want.

12. AngelLikesSpace

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you to everyone who congratulated me (I would have quoted all of your messages if I knew how to do that). I felt like I needed to rant about it after today but I didn't want to bother my friends about it again. Thank you to everyone who read this post and replied.

13. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I don't know if it would help at all, but since you're school's accepting, maybe they would listen if you talked about this with someone in charge, or wrote a letter perhaps explaining why it isn't a good system and how you feel, etc.
    Even if it's too late to change it for this year, maybe they would consider it for next year's students.

Anyway, sorry you have to deal with that:/ But good luck with graduation and all!

14. AngelLikesSpace

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I was considering that or talking to the teacher at our school who came out as transgender last month and seeing if he would help talk to them. I don't want any more students feeling upset and/or uncomfortable about it. Thank you!

15. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It would've been better if they segregated by color. That way people can choose which color they'd want. It isn't as if both lines will be equal right? I mean are there equal number of guys and girls? I don't think so right OP?

16. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Black.

17. AngelLikesSpace

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think there are an equal number of girls and guys in my class. I'm sure if there were we would have been told that because someone would have thought that was "really cool."

18. Glowing Eyes

I get uncomfortable too when my class gets separated based on gender.

19. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guess it's a good thing we don't wear robes when we graduate high school in the UK. We just doodled messages on each other's shirts on our last day. Someone drew a penis on mine.

#19 imnotreallysure, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
  20. Glowing Eyes

They still do that over there?
    Where I live it went out of style a year ago.
    (drawing dicks on everything; doodling wont go out of fashion for a long time)

#20 Glowing Eyes, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016