1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving out tips

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ninetales, May 24, 2016.

1. Ninetales

Out Status:
    Some people
    I am moving out on my own for the first time soon, and I thought you all migh have some tips for me. They don't have to be lgbt+ related. All tips are welcome. I appreciate your help.

2. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The biggest tip I can probably give you is, you need to set up a strict budget. NEVER use the money for one thing, to pay for another.

Example:

Rent: xxxx
    Groceries: xxx
    Personal hygiene: xx
    Transport: xxx
    Savings/luxuries/extra: xx

Another tip I can give you is to have at least two months' rent saved up prior to moving out. Just for when you're in a tight spot and won't be able to pay rent that month. Then you can fall back to the saved up cash. But always replace that cash when possible, by saving up what you have left at the end of the month/week.

3. ExistentialWolf

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The thing I would tell you is: always read whatever lease you are signing. Some of them are full of fees and extra charges that you would never think would be included in a legal housing document. Also, this seems obvious, but a lot of people don't pay attention to it: don't wreak whatever place you're staying in, or you won't get your safety deposit back. This can be anything from smashing a wall to staining a carpet with coffee. You don't have to walk around your rented place (assuming you are renting a place) on eggshells, but just keep an eye out for obvious signs of structural damage.

Also, have some fun! If you're moving out for the first time, figure out what you want to do that you couldn't when you weren't living alone (so long as it is safe/legal/smart!) and then do it!