1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with Sexist Teachers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by carpenoctem308, May 24, 2016.

1. carpenoctem308

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have a geography teacher who is a very funny guy and is super relaxed about everything. His class is fun and he makes our stuff easy to understand. The only problem is that he is very sexist. I've heard him make several sexist jokes over the quarter and I try to call him out on it but all the guys in my class freak out and call me a crazy feminist or whatever. Today he really pissed me off, more than ever. He was talking to one of the other students (who thinks If he flirts with me and talks about feminism enough then I will go out with him) and said (I'm quoting my teacher btw): "I'm not sexist, I just honestly believe that men are better than women."
    ??????
    I walked up to him and said "that is basically the definition of sexist, do you realize that?" And he shrugs his shoulders and goes "it's just true." Then, to make things worse, one of my friends says afterwards "you know, guys have it hard too. I don't know why you make things such a big deal," And then proceeds to tell me how 'hard' his life is. Yeah, I know that white men can have problems, but this isn't an individual thing. I'm talking about problems we go through specifically because we are women. I've done all I can to try to explain why I'm a feminist to him and possibly change things, but I dont feel like I know of anything else to do. Any suggestions on how I can take care of this situation?

2. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just kill him. Wait, pretend I didn't say that. Dude's just an asshole, by the sounds of it :/ I have no better advice than maybe make a complaint about it to the head of year maybe? I really don't know, sorry

3. coley

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That sucks so much that you have to deal with him, in 2016 young women should not have to deal with this kind of ignorance especially from a teacher in a place of education? But I guess we can't have a perfect world :frowning2:
    I kinda agree in the sense that I don't really see any option other than going to another teacher or a head of year/department about him.
    Hope you can get this worked out!

4. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

I had a maths teacher who wanted the tables moving around. She said "all the boys have to do it because they're stronger, but the girls don't have to." Right, I get males are biologically stronger than females, but I'm pretty sure they're capable of moving a table.

Also in a recent Ofsted school report, our school caters to girls more than boys, and helps the girls more than they do with the boys. Don't worry, you're not alone. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and there is a difference between sexist jokes and legitimate sexism, but from a teacher? Actual sexism and sexist jokes? Rather disgusting. Do what the others told you to do, tell another teacher or possibly the head teacher, if you can.

Have a good day. :slight_smile:

5. Umme

I have a funny feeling that he's homophobic as well...
    Actually, he probably isn't homophobic, he just thinks that being gay is wrong.

#5 Umme, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
  6. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

Hey, as long as they're not being an ass about it to people, I don't care if they agree with it or not. x3

7. Cedar

I think you should complain about him to someone that's in the position to do something about it. Maybe the principal?

8. guitar

Was it the teacher who said "I honestly think men are better than women," or was it the guy in your class? Or are you saying the student said it because your teacher says it?

9. thepandaboss

File a complaint with principal and education board. Bam. Done. If you live in US, pretty sure what he's doing violates school board and federal policy. If you can, see if you can get someone to collaborate and get some kind of recorded proof.

10. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can second this, he's meant to be educating these students and instead here he is poisoning their minds further, as if we didn't get enough of that already. If there's anyone else in you class who is fed up with it, I'd say for you to work on getting it reported as soon as possible.

I can't wait for this sort of thing to be something you only hear about in history books... I wish you luck at least.

11. Plattyrex

The principal won't help. They're jerks too.

12. Sharka Sharka

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Report him to the higher ups, he could get in trouble for causing you distress. Also, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT bother trying to "change" his mind. That will get you no where, trust me, I'm a feminist too and guys like that never change. I'm sorry you have to put up with this garbage teacher and these shitty classmates. I hope you stay safe from any kind of potential harassment from them. And LOL at the guy who thinks being a feminist will get him into your pants.

13. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Such a dick... he should just be fired. I second panda's suggestion of speaking to the principal, or maybe another teacher that you trust.

14. Plattyrex

I would suggest going to someone higher up. A ton of teachers and principles are sexist assholes.

15. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Report it to the superintendent office if the principal won't do something. Not saying he should lose his job but a reprimand is in order and if the behavior continues then he needs a serious lesson.

If no one does anything about it and it continues, bring it up to someone else. On the school board or tell your parents and the PTA or something. Move it along the chain of command.

You attempted to ask him in person and he just shot you down, move up a pay grade.

16. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Obviously he is a sexist, and a stupid one. What he said and did was very irresponsible and immature of him. But it is true that guys don't have it all that easier either.

Sexism seems bad towards women because, women face a lot of ridicule while trying to do a "guy" thing for Eh being political, fighting a war or protect the society and do manual labour. Nobody talks about how society is oppressing men when they consider them ill suited to stay back home and take care of the babies. Does anyone really fight for the guy who was too scared to go to war but is under much ridicule just because he is a guy? One of the poster felt bad that woman aren't allowed to move tables because they don't have physical strength, do you know how it feels to be picked out to do all the physical work just because you are a guy irrespective of how fragile you are. Let's not even get to how fragile guys feel.
    Basically there are societal expectations of what a guy and a girl should be, off late girls have a much better place than they once did and feminism is turning to femminazi . The real mission is to eliminate gender roles and gender expectations , most feminists forget that and think their problems are bigger. I would agree that your problems are bigger if it was 50/100 years ago but now it's normalizing and the problems that exist are due to generalized gender expectations which men are subjected to too, nobody however wants to run a man's cause. Further it's a misogynistic undertone as what women are fighting for are Victorian guy roles, nobody is really fighting for the role of the sweet home maker. The mother who was always around. Dare a father play that role, society would push him away as he is not "masculine " enough.
    You should listen to Emma Watson's UN speech . You would realize how not fighting for men is actually restricting the progress of women.
    So don't ever say only white men have some issues. Men have issues too, they just apparently complain lesser.
    You are being as bad as your teacher by saying this.

17. Invidia

Invidia Guest

A ton aren't, as well. And in school, there aren't many positions above principal, right? There may be available resources outside of the school altogether, though.

18. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The superintendent or school board are.

19. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Surely every single superintendent or school board aren't identical clones with the exact same attitude? It might be worth a shot.

20. iiimee

Honestly, I think third-wave feminism is silly and most feminists today are more sexist than they'd like to believe, and I don't think he needs to be a feminist, but yeah, that comment's out of line. Men and women are equal, and unless you leave in a country that's NOT advanced, neither men nor women are oppressed.