1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your stance in gender neutral bathrooms?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shadstack, May 25, 2016.

1. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

Personally, I wouldn't really like them. What do you guys think? Have you ever used one? Do you want one? What are the benefits and/or drawback of them?

on* whoops...

#1 Shadstack, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
  2. Umme

Well it would be very useful for non binary and closeted trans people and make them feel a lot more comfortable.

3. thepandaboss

I think people make a bigger deal out of them than it needs to be. Alright, if gender neutral bathrooms weird you out, think about your bathroom at home. Is it gendered? Do you have a men's bathroom upstairs and a women's across from the kitchen?

If you're not a psychopath, your bathroom at home's not gendered. I really don't personally see how a gender neutral bathroom's a big deal.

I've used all gender bathrooms- queer conference I went to had one. And once you kind of get past that culture shock, it's really not a big deal. We all need to use one. Why not?

4. fenestra

Love them. I don't really see the point of having one-seated gendered bathrooms. On a recent trip, my partner got tired of waiting for the men's room so I encouraged him to use the women's. He did without thinking about it too much but we did laugh about the stigma of it all. Then, at another gas station, I saw four women (four!) waiting outside the women's room while the men's room was vacant. My partner used it, told them it was free but they ignored him. I asked them if they wanted to use it but they all said no, they'd rather wait. I shrugged and used it myself. It was a bathroom. Identical to the one next to it (except for the urinal and the fact that it was far less likely the toilet seat had been peed on).

If you want to wait and blow out your kidneys, that's your prerogative but, when I gotta go, I couldn't care less what figure is on that door.

#4 fenestra, May 25, 2016
  5. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't like or dislike them. They have nothing to do with me.

6. AlamoCity

I think the key is whether the gender-neutral bathroom is a single-person room or multiple stalls and urinals in one room.

I personally would feel weird sharing a bathroom with a person of the opposite sex.

7. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like them, I think one less thing being separated is a step forward to humanity realizing that we're all just equals and no less. To me, the concept of segregating based on gender is absurd as segregating based on race. The only "justification" I can think of is how many straight fathers teach their sons to treat women, and that's just poor education: ignorance can be reversed with time... I should know. When restrooms were first racially integrated I'm sure it wasn't a cakewalk either.

Plus when they're smaller, there's more privacy and less faces staring back at you. I don't know about anyone else, but I like to be alone in the bathroom.

8. HerrinDesFeuers

I couldn't care less. It really seems to be a big deal in the US, but it isn't like that here in Germany (or maybe it's just me who's weird).
    If there is one stall for each gender, I use the one that's free. If there are multiple stalls for each gender and it's really urgent, I use the one with the shorter line (which is always the men's. always.).
    Nobody has ever complained about me using the men's bathroom.

9. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

Wait, what's that supposed to mean?

10. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm for them. Really what's the problem with them? All it is, is a women's bathroom full of individual stalls with a neutral sign on the door. You hear people of the same gender pee when you're in the loo anyway.

In places like schools or unis I think they should definitely have gender neutral toilets. My college is currently trying to implement one. You'd still have male and female separate but having the neutral, inclusive one too is going to make some people so much more comfortable.

You probably have already.

#10 Aberrance, May 25, 2016
  11. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love them.
    I'm not comfortable using the women's restroom, because I am male. But I'm also not comfortable having to use the men's because they normally only have one stall, and I'm afraid of being attacked in there.

I go for the gender neutral restroom because I feel safer in there, and because there's more privacy.

12. rudysteiner

If it was just cubicles with no urinal and called a 'unisex' bathroom, I'd be fine with them, but that's just my preference. I'd feel weird using a urinal and then a woman walks past. I do think that once a person has transitioned, they should use the bathroom of the gender they've transitioned to, but the whole 'gender neutral' bathroom stuff makes it sound like there's a cold war going on. I don't like that.

13. Glowing Eyes

I'm definitely for them and would like to see more but that doesn't seem like it would happen anytime soon in this country.

14. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

You're afraid of being attacked? Physically or what? How so?

15. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm fine with gender neutral bathrooms since at least at my University the just consist of a single room bathroom with a toliet, sink, and family changing station and sometimes a safe sex supply dispenser. I personally prefer them to gendered restrooms, especially since I don't like a lot of men's bathrooms. I think most people who dislike gender neutral bathrooms either have misconceptions about them or want to blow them out of proportion. Even if they aren't single stall bathrooms I don't see the big deal of having a bathroom with all stalls that people cannot see over/under and have toliets there and a common area to wash hands.

Like this layout I would be okay with and have no objections to:
    [​IMG]

Of course I can't speak for Stewie, but I know many trans and nonbinary people feel uncomfortable using gendered restrooms because they ARE afraid of being verbally or physically attacked, which has led to the creation of #IllGoWithYou buddies and stuff. #IllGoWithYou – Need a buddy in a gendered space? We will go with you.

#15 BryanM, May 25, 2016
  16. Jellal

They are useful and practical.
    For building new facilities, I think they make sense to include.

17. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've used one before. My university has a few washrooms marked gender neutral, but they're really just a small room with one toilet and sink :lol:

And personally, I find it more awkward to use the same washroom as people I'm attracted to (guys) compared to having a lady in the washroom too.

To be brutally honest, I'd use the women's washroom if the men's room was full, BUT I feel as though it'd only be a matter of time before some lady called the cops on me. I don't think it'd go over well socially.

#17 HM03, May 25, 2016
  18. Plattyrex

All bathrooms should be gender neutral. I hate gender segregation and it should be illegal.

19. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I think they're a great idea in general, especially for trans people aren't out, don't pass, or for some other reason doesn't want to be in a 'contrary' bathroom (or the one of their assigned gender). Like, once when my band was playing a gig in Denmark (this makes us sound much cooler than we were, btw, lol), I went with my band members (two cis girls), another young cis girl who tagged along, and an AFAB genderfluid-identified person into the ladies'. A guy came in asking about me (and asked the question not addressed at me but to the people net to me :/ asshole...), but luckily one of my band members said "She's a girl", and the others agreed and he was like "okay" and he left. For these kind of reasons, I'd prefer in most situations if I could just slip into a gender-neutral bathroom until I can pass.

I also think people just need to stop the whole acting like women and men are two different species who need to be separated from each other thing.

20. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm all for them, since some people don't feel comfortable or safe in the family designated restrooms. I don't get why people are uptight about them being a thing, especially with how a ton of people are threatening to bring guns into public bathrooms over the trans bills going around.

I sure as shit know that with all of this going on, I'd rather go into a gender neutral or family bathroom if it meant I wouldn't risk getting assaulted or shot for using the men's room.