1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Athiest Advertising

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mcrteenagers, Mar 1, 2009.

1. mcrteenagers

So I guess it's the new fad. Such ads were found on buses in Toronto:

[​IMG]

I guess my question is, do you think these advertisements are okay? I'm not starting a religion-based debate/thread war here. I'm focusing on the issue of whether its fair to allow one group to post ads, but not another.

2. Shevanel

I think this would be rather unfair, but this is just my opinion. everyone says stuff like they don't want to be forced or like "influenced" or whatever toward any belief system, usually a religion, and I think that should go for the anti-religion too. Religion is a touchy subject I think and blatantly offending people in public like that is rather out of line. but thats my opinion...

3. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Of course they're fair (and the 'e' comes first, by the way). Christians and other religious groups have been advertising on buses for years, and they've already created their own mimic ads in response to the one in your post. I don't see anything wrong here.

4. mcrteenagers

This isn't the first time "I before E except after C" has screwed me over. I hate spelling mistakes. Damnit.

5. StrataScribe

Hell ya! As an atheist myself, I think it's time the atheist community gets their turn in the spot light. It's not like these advertisements are gonna corrupt the religious community. If anything, it'll kickstart the communication between these two communities.

I've also seen these adverts in Toronto and in fact, the Christian community has already 'fought' back in England (I think?) with similar adverts saying "There probably IS a God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life" or something along those lines.

I'm constantly rolling my eyes at religious advert bumbo jumbo (just my opinion) so it's nice to see something I can relate to.

Actually now that I think about it, I remember seeing a televised debate about these adverts and it was surprising to hear that the Christian representatives were more concerned at the fact the advert suggested all Christains were 'worrying' then the fact that the adverts were stating the unlikelihood of god's existance.

6. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Wait...
    Atheists have a community?
    Are there bakesales? And if there are, has anyone called making brownies? I make a killer batch.

7. StrataScribe

Haha, I know how you feel! I was surprised too when I saw that debate and it had a representative from the "atheist community". I thought I was alone. I didn't realize we had worldwide organizations or community centres but apparently we do! :icon_wink

Huh! The more you know...

8. Greggers

I personally think that advertising and religion should not mix. Why?

Well whats the point of advertising something? Its to sell something.

Your not selling "sham-wow" here or anything, but your selling an idea. Your trying to convince the reader that there is no god, the same way a billboard that says "when was the last time you poked god on facebook" is trying to get you to believe in god.

I personally think we should leave all the religion OUT of advertising and stick with McDonald's and other shit. Religion is always going to offend someone, so i find it un-nessesary to intentionally create a giant billboard that, lets say, 50% of people will find offense and 50% of people will like. Of the 50% who find it offense, your not going to convince them otherwise with a billboard. Of the 50% who like it, they all liked it before you made your shitty billboard im sure. It seems like a waste of money and time to me. Every day someone will have to drive by that billboard and its going to offend them. Why would you want to purposely make someones day a little bit worse by plastering your billboard on the side of the road? Im saying that to ALL religious groups.

Burgers belong on Billboards, not Religion.

9. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Too bad this isn't a pull otherwise I would've voted yes!! I wish I could see these on the buses in my town. I get tired of only seeing those church advertisements or "convert to christ" in various forms on the buses, advertisements, bill boards, and even fliers! It makes me think it's like some contest. I don't think there is much allowance for anyone ELSE to say something. I would'nt mind seeing a Buddism or Taoism advertisement once a while. Surprise me! I'm not FOR atheism but I'm glad we can get some religious diversity in advertising. If someone can advertise their God, why can't the other guys advertise not believing in one?

Same thing with door to door church recruitment. I recall a certain religious group who kept knocking at my door, like twice every couple days. I had to run them off, it was terrible. Would I do that to an atheist? Yes, actually. I find them just as annoying if they're bugging me at home. But I'd like the very fact that there is more religious diversity out there.

I support it entirely.

10. Shevanel

This is more or less what I meant.

11. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Forgot to add the fact: I really, really doubt most people are actually paying attention to the ads on the buses though. Same thing with billboards. If its not a McDonalds sign, or something along those lines I just ignore it, usually.

12. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    it's all just a softer form of what it eventually will escalate to - Another fucking war over religions.....enough is freakin' enough....and by the way, (and I don't want to get your tale feathers singed) isn't not believing in something just another, er, oh ya, RELIGION??

13. Greggers

Heh, if that were true we would not be having this discussion :slight_smile: Its made a SHITload of problems in Toronto, and even Vancouver because they want to put them here next. Its on the radio all the time and its not even here yet haha. The fact is life would be more peaceful if you took out the billboards >>

14. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

It's not that big of a deal here where I live. But things are probably different politically, fundamentally, and religiously in Canada than Oregon.

15. Greggers

They have the same problem in many of the states but with Christian advertising. There is definitly a cut-off point. Anything like a billboard is going to be seen by people, like it or not. The advertising, if at all, should be focused in a place that is not going to create such an uproar.

But, the soul reason of the "athiest bus" campaign, as its called, WAS to cause an uproar. On the news i heard that it was started in the UK by a comedian who wanted to make an uproar with an add campaign to combat all the forceful Christian advertising. People took interest and donated to the "cause" apparently so they took off to Toronto, and soon Vancouver. Atleast, this is what i heard.

It seems very much "Moooomy! Billy gets a cookie, i want a cookie toooo!" Well honestly, neither of the boys should get a cookie because eating a cookie is BAD FOR YOU!

16. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

While on the topic of junk food, honestly. I think there should be a law passed. There should be some kind of enforcement going on limiting junk foods that people are eating. Sorry if this sounds bad, but obesity is rampant amongst the states. Do you really need to eat 6 hamburgers, 2 large fries, a medium frosty, and a 2 liter pepsi to be satisfied with your meal?

In actually, your brain doesnt digest (pun intended) that you've eaten that much. If you slow down, take a sip of water, it will. And you can fill up a lot faster, CHEAPER, as well.

17. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Myself as a Christian (yes I'ma christian, I'm believing god isn't of hate), The atheist community has everyright to put that on buses. Look how the religious people smack everyone in the face about change you life in 4 seconds by going God! This crap is bull! Relgion isn't supposed to be forced on anyone. Everyone takes the reading to their own understandings, and that's fine. Christians are most of teh time hipocrytical and out of line.

I will say one thing... It was kind of immature for the athiest community to stoop as low as a Christian would. I would have never thought a Christian would do it, but guess we don't know everything, lol.

18. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

19. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I still think there should be some kind of war against obesity. >_> lol Maybe I should go make a topic! If there can be groups protesting gay marriage, wanting same sex marriage, then there SHOULD be an even BIGGER group of anti-obesity protesters. Not to say the struggles of either sides are less than nothing or to undermind them...but compared to obesity that KILLS and causes cancer and disease, and much much worst, destroys the self esteem of even children, I think it's kinda silly there aren't more OSA's. (Obesity straight alliances) :frowning2: Yet, I don't see them.

20. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Not believing in a God is not a religion. I have heard this ridiculous argument so many times. I do not go to Atheist Group every Sunday to contemplate what is the rules I live my life by. I don't have a doctrine by which I must live or face the punishment of an eternal afterlife in some hell dimension. Atheism is not a religion. That's like saying by being "Not Something", I am "Something". Pure and utter nonsense.

Yes. Let's do that. And then afterwards, we can make laws about people who don't go to the gym every week. They should be going. It's bad not to work out.
    OH! And we should make laws about running without supervision. Because sometimes, when you run too fast, you can pull a muscle. That's bad for you too!

As soon as you start to dictate the private lifes of your citizens, you become a dictatorship. Isn't freedom what we are fighting for right now?