1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WWYD (religion)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Secrets5, May 30, 2016.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

So I was on a website and I was reading a lot of "we [gay parents] never kicked their kid out because they were straight" but the thing is, heterosexual people were never the issue; it was religious translators hating on homosexual people (and people who followed that belief).

So my question to you is;

What would you do if your child told you that they wanted to be religious? (still accepting gay people)

Just interested.

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My partner and I have come to an agreement that as long as our child makes a choice for themselves to be religious and attend religious services/youth group of their choosing whether it be at a church, mosque, synagogue, etc., that we would be as embracing as possible and allow them to do so. As someone who is a Secular Humanist, I think we all have different social and cultural needs from religion and I should not judge others who want to be more religious than me as long as they respect my humanity.

3. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd say it's fair enough, it's their choice. Personally, I don't like religion as a whole due to all of the problems it has caused (see: "most social injustices" as just part of a long list) but I have no problem with religious people as long as they don't use it as an excuse to be a bigot.
    So if a child of mine told me that they were religious (but not a bigot) then I wouldn't mind. Their hypothetical belief would be just as valid to me as my own atheism.

4. wolf of fire

Live and let live; till it causes an issue they can worship who they like.

5. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let em live how they want to. It's how my parents treat me!

6. Cedar

I think I'd want to let them grow into their own person, I don't want them to feel like I'm molding them into whatever I want them to be. So long as they understand and have good morals, I could care less what religion they choose to indulge.

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Considering I am an accepting person of faith, I would encourage them to be so also. They would not be forced, but there is no compatibility issue in my eyes.

8. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would tell them that's okay with me; they can make their own decisions about what they believe.

9. Formality

I'd probably laugh and be like:
    "You are joking" and they'd be like
    "Haha, yeah!"
    both: "lol"

If they were serious I'd be like: "whatevs, but if you spread hate, I'll disown the crap out of you."

#9 Formality, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
  10. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel I can second this.

Believe whatever the hell you want, as long as you don't act on it. Go have your book and it's rules, but don't try to limit me by telling me to marry a man (especially a rapist) and obey his every command. As long as they keep it to themselves as a personal belief it should be without issue I guess. Agree to disagree, wish my family were that way.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Religion is a personal journey. Each has to form their own ideas about the presence and nature of higher powers. For most it means popping into an existing religion, but I've had much better luck with taking bits and pieces from all over.

If I find out my kid has been hurting others in the name of his or her faith, I wouldn't disown them. That is fighting hate with hate. But we would certainly have a loooong talk.

12. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wouldn't be bothered, but I'd reserve the right to read aloud the works of Christopher Hitchens whenever they were in the room. :icon_wink

In serious, if they've come to it via their own free will then fine. If they use it as a shield for their bigotry then I'll be reading them the riot act. If they want to be a bigot then they can own it instead of hiding behind "buh buh, God commands me!"

13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents gave me the freedom to find my own path, and that's something I want to pass down to my kids.

I'd have no issues with them as long as they continue to be respectful, loving, and compassionate towards others and don't use their faith as an excuse to be an asshole to other people. That won't be tolerated.

14. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

If they want to be religious, go for it! I don't want to be a kind of parent (if I am going to be one) that forces me beliefs on them. As an atheist myself, it would bother me a little, purely because the idea of beliving in a divine entity is so illogical to me. But hey, why should I stop them? I'd even drive them to their place of worship. :slight_smile:

15. Nicaklaus

I'd say for them to go for it. There are a lot of religious people who aren't homophobic, and they would be one of them. I would never want to oppress my children in any healthy endeavors they're interested in :thumbsup:

16. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely not. No child of mine shall worship anything other than the chaos god Tzeentch. I'd ground them if they dared to chant "blood for the blood god" or "skulls for the skull throne" and ask where they discovered such blasphemy. I bet it was Corn Flakes, they're the work of Krohne!!1!

[​IMG]the things I find on google lol

Although, seriously, I'd let them do almost whatever they wanted, as long as it's legal and they're clever about it

(I don't have a religion)

#16 Lawrence, May 30, 2016
  17. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd probably just say "Go for it, kiddo. Explore your beliefs."

I've had a lot of evolution with religion. I started as a Baptist, became an Atheist, then Agnostic, and now...I'm...Pagan/Wiccan? I will allow my child to follow whatever it is they want, as long at it is their own decision and they remain accepting and open-minded.

18. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My children will worship the Star Trek franchise (except for those reboot heathens). I will accept nothing else!!

19. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was raised in a conservative Christian household, who held/hold very strict beliefs which I do not agree with. I retain the tenets of the faith (love and compassion, humility and honor, the gospel message) but am very open to other interpretations and will respect other beliefs. I'm somewhat along a Buddhist/agnostic leaning side of Christianity. Anyway...

I would not wish to force my child to believe what I believe. Spirituality is a personal journey and there is nothing more harmful than telling someone that what they believe is wrong. Of course, as their father, I would encourage them and try to explain the reasoning behind my beliefs, but what they decide is up to them. The only things I won't tolerate is hatred, cruelty, or beliefs based on willful ignorance.

#19 Kodo, May 30, 2016
  20. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In all seriousness though, I'd be fine with it just have some rules regarding it:

1. You will not try to convert me or force your beliefs on other people. You may only go into solicitation mode if they ask you about it.

2. Your beliefs may not consciously change how you treat any given person.

3. I will not tolerate you taking any type of opinion that suggests you are better than other people because of your beliefs.

About all I can think of for now.