1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A time you were almost outed?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by entopen, May 30, 2016.

1. entopen

We either come out of the closet by our own accord or are forced to. But has anything ever happened when you were almost outed to someone?

For example, I have a blabbermouth friend who almost outed me to one of our classmates, and I barely stopped him. My sibling also almost found out once by checking my computer.

Has anything like this ever happened to you, and if so what happened?

2. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, my sister knows but she hasn't outed me (thanks sis) but she almost got outed by her friend! Like, her friend knows that she's gay and always talks about it REALLY LOUD in class. It's like she thinks everyone knows, and my sister is like "shh SHH" and her friend doesn't really care. So, people may know about her but not care, but I can't be sure. I don't think anyone in that class is homophobic, anyway.

3. Nicaklaus

My sister found out by looking at my texts. What she was doing on there, I have no idea...

Also, at first I was out to only one friend, and once someone almost overheard us talking about something that alluded to me being gay, but we covered it up. At the time, that was a big relief.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been outed before, and it was to about half of my high school back during my freshman year. At first it was very scary and I wasn't sure what was going to happen, but I ended up the next day going to school and coming out and owning my own narrative.

5. 1ring

My friend and I were once talking about how we are both lgbt and somehow a different friend found the conversation, however thankfully she hasn't said anything to anyone else, at least that I know of.

6. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There was one time in school when I was with two friends, one who I was out to and one I wasn't. The reason I wasn't out to this one was because she is christian and I wasn't sure if she would be ok with it.

Anyway, we were in a really jokey mood for some reason (I think our maths class had just been cancelled or something of the sort) and we found a bent ruler in a desk and started going "this isn't straight! that isn't straight! the blackboard isn't straight! this chair isn't straight!" and the friend I was out to said to me "you're not straight!" and I said "I know", in front of the friend I wasn't out to, and she looked at me weirdly. We managed to pass it off as a joke since we were all acting kind of stupid at the time but it was a pretty tense moment.

7. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some of my closest friends take the piss about me being trans sometimes and it makes me feel really uncomfortable. One time we were at the pub and there were some of their friends there who I didn't know so I introduced myself as Isaac and we started playing drinking games which involved truth/dares and some question about wanking came up and they started cracking up and saying shit like "he doesn't have a dick he can't" and the rest of them just looked really uncomfortable and I just wanted to find a hole to die in.

8. Comet

Once my step-dad asked me if I was gay outright, and I clammed up and was stammering, but thankfully my mom stepped in. They suspected before this incident, but I feel like it was at that point they knew, but they were (thankfully) waiting for me to be comfortable enough to tell them. I came out to my mom on a public Facebook post however, but I wish I could have done it differently.

9. alicetastic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I accidently trusted a guy with my secret, but he wasn't very serious about it all...
    He didn't realise the kind of trouble i would be in with my parents if anyone found out.
    He joked about it and kept on quoting parts of what I said in front of me and his friends, and found it hilarious when i freaked out and begged him to not finish the sentence he started.
    Dickhead...

10. PrettyinPunk

It wasn't quite being outed, but once at an old job some of my co-worker friends were discussing my possible sexuality. I was literally 3 feet away from them but I couldn't say anything because I was talking with a customer. By the time I could, their conversation had moved on.

11. fenestra

A couple nights ago I was playing Apples to Apples with my mom, sister and her friend (sister knows, mom and friend don't.) I was judging the card "Luscious" and I had to choose from the cards "baking cookies", "Sean Connery" and "girlfriends". I chickened out and chose "baking cookies." My sister snickered at me.

Oh. The. Shame. lol

12. SimonSnow

When one of my friends loudly tried to guess one of my crushes in a classroom, next to a guy I like. Thankfully, I got her to shut up.

---------- Post added 31st May 2016 at 06:59 PM ----------

And yesterday; one of my friends is like "ur lesbian, right?"
    Which was annoying because I am gay/trans. Sign. When your friends don't know terminology.

13. Sean12

I have a friend that yells, "my favorite gay!!" Whenever she sees me (she's lesbian). Enough said XD. I don't mind because it makes coming out to people simple as meeting them at the same time as her

14. thepandaboss

Well, different respects. Long before I transitioned, I had been identifying as lesbian and trying to date a woman (neither of which worked well- let's just say I was the only "lesbian" who had wet dreams of topping the Castro district's finest). I got "outed" when I was a little snot, got grounded from using the Internet for a week, and my mom happened to see emails I had sent to my girlfriend.

As trans, almost been walked in on with trans related pages on computer. I'm generally open about being trans now. But after I started living full time, my ex used to tell even the most random people I was trans in attempt to "share my story" and make other bi and gay guys jealous- no, really. Not making last part up. That's what he'd always say.

So glad I dumped his ass.

15. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Bad friend told another friend who is homophobic..
    I said it was a joke be has nobody takes me seriously anyway..
    Let's hope he forgot

16. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh my god there has been so many times where I was almost outed.

17. confusedbubble

I think I'm going to be outed to everyo soon... I stupidly told someone and they've messaged me saying they've kept it quiet up to now I don't know what to say to them

18. secretagent

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Some girl I was out to asked me out and I said yes. The next day one of our mutual friends came up to me in the locker room and said "so I heard about you and Madison. Good Job". Madison told her and I honestly didn't care who knew it's just that I had only been out to 5 people so I wasn't used to be confronting me about my sexuality. I then told 2 of my other friends and they started asking me a ton of questions really loudly in the middle of class. I still didn't care but I wasn't used to being so open about it. And thats pretty much it. Oh wait and my 2 younger sister (who I haven't come out to) ask me "hows your girlfriend" or "do you have a girlfriend yet?" in front of everyone and I just laugh. Okay that's all of my stories.

19. eMei

Okay, so my friend was telling everybody how this guy she has a crush on has an amazing booty. The guy found out and my friend tried to save her pride by telling him that everyone else said it to - she was about to say I did but I cut her off as soon as I realised what she was going to say.

She's buried in my backyard now

20. AngelLikesSpace

Out Status:
    Some people
    In my sophomore year of high school one of my friends was talking about how everyone sitting at our lunch table was lgbtq (only her and another person who I was already out too) and started pointing at each of us saying either our sexual orientation or in my case gender identity really loudly. I don't think anyone around us really knew what she was talking about but it was still kind of unnecessary (I forget what the whole conversation was about).