1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attention Span for Varying Tasks?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AgenderMoose, May 30, 2016.

1. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm kinda curious. Does anyone else sometimes not have the attention span for certain things in particular? Like, say, you are willing to read a book or do some other longer task, but you don't have the attention span for a movie specifically, or vice versa? It happens to me a lot and I'm not sure if it's a common thing or if others may think it strange. I'm also kind of curious about it.

2. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For me, I guess it just depends how much the task in question interests me. I don't think my attention span is consistent with any particular kinds of tasks though. I generally have quite a short attention span for more or less everything but there are occasions when I'll be able to do the same thing for hours on end without even realising.

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have to do many things at once. I was watching Hunger Games yesterday, a film I like, and I still had to tidy my room (which is what I consider one of the most pointless and boring jobs ever).

4. Brytaleith

My attention span varies as my interest in the task varies, but also which sense it interacts with.

As in, I'm a visual and kinesthetic learner, so anything to do with audio I'm terrible at. For example, I deal very well with equations because numbers are picture to me, whereas if I had to read a chunk of words explaining the same thing, I'd never be able to focus.

5. AngelLikesSpace

Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was in school, I could usually do my schoolwork in class just fine but if I had to bring it home there would be a good chance it would never get done. So I guess it depends on my surroundings if something gets done or not. If I have something else to do (even if it's just sitting and staring at the wall) then whatever it is won't get done. If it's something like cleaning my room, I need to be in the mood to do it or I won't.

6. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My attention span ranges from very poor to very good. For most things it's poor though :lol:

For things like TV shows and movies I have a terrible attention span. I tend to rarely watch anything, and when I do I often quit 20 minutes in. So if a movie/show has caught my attention, it's damn good :lol: It can also be bad for things like reading :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Surprising enough, I think I have a decent attention span at school (compared to other people). My attention span sucks during lectures, but depending on the class, I can have crazy good focussing for assignments.

#6 HM03, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
  7. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, but it tends to differ from day to day. Some days I don't have the attention span to sit through an hour-long show or video for more than ten minutes without getting up and doing something else; other days I can sit and do one thing for hours. Even if it's one of my favorite movies/books, I'm just too easily distractible. [​IMG]

8. Naxams

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeap, That's most of the reason I don't watch a movie/tv almost ever

9. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I do sometimes have trouble paying attention and...oh look there's a cat walking past my window and...wait, what are we talking about?

10. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My room is covered head to toe in musical instruments.. How am I supposed to concentrate on anything

11. thepandaboss

Think that's the case for most people. I hate watching movies by myself and not a ton of patience for podcasts without video. Like whoever has the time to listen to a one hour podcast, I commend you because I get fucking bored. Lot of the long ones just involve the hosts dicking off. My hearing sucks balls anyway. I don't want to focus on a bunch of audio only for it to be a bunch of nothing. Get to the point or GTFO.

#11 thepandaboss, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  12. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to have less attention span with activities which are not "up my alley." If it is an interest of mine, I'm capable of intense focus for days at a time. If it's something I'm forced to do, I will avoid/procrastinate doing it until eventually I decide not to, or put in a half-cocked effort.

But with people, I have a very short attention span. Maybe I'm an arse, but I cannot stand small talk, gossip, chit chat, etc. It bores me to no end.

I have no problem with film or television, though. If I decided to watch it in the first place, then I was sure I'd like it. I enjoy even the "slowest" programs (eg Classic Dr Who or Star Trek).

#12 Kodo, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016