1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Economic Meltdown!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BitterEdge, Mar 2, 2009.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I was wondering how the economic slowdown/ global recession was hitting everyone.

My friend was just laid off at A & E Television and my brother's health insurance company is slashing thousands of jobs. Thankfully my part time job is state funded so I'm safe.

2. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    oil prices are still extremely low over here, and i havnt noticed a slight change . exepct for the donuts to rise by half the price from like 10 cents to 15 cents per donut and thats probabl because they sell so good

3. Melissa

*sigh* I was just talking to someone else about this. I've been out of work for a few months and have not been able to get a job despite my best effort. Damn economy. *_*

4. EM68

My brother was laid off a month ago and got a 6 month severance package. I used to work at a car dealership and they laid off a bunch of people. Their health care costs went from $20 to $35 per week for individuals.

For me I work in the insurance industry selling medicare supplements, life insurance and annuities. We are doing an increasing amount of annuities to protect peoples money from the market turmoil. Me personally I am new to the job and last moth was a little slow so this month I am a bit cash strapped. Overall I am optimistic. I just need to build up my business.

5. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Sorry to hear that, I having problems finding internships for the summer even unpaid ones. In the meantime I'm strapped on cash and stopped shopping at alot of places in the mall like Abercrombie (just too expensive and not needed)

6. pirateninja

Well, both my parents have jobs that are being threatened. Not overly so, but it is likely that both of them could lose their jobs. My dad can't sell his house, and I can't find a job. Other than that, it's really just a case of limiting what we spend. For example, I've got my driving test next week; if I fail, I can't afford to retake it. :frowning2:

7. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I've lost about $1300 in stocks; and that was about 4 months ago...I'm guessing it's more now.

8. Melissa

9. myra

I've lost a ton in stocks that my dad threw in there for my future to pay back college loans. My day has also been given a week and a half of unpaid leave, though he didn't explain why. I haven't felt to much of it because i'm living a pretty sheltered life here at school. I don't watch the news too much or read the newspapers. And i don't have a job. But i know its ugly in some places.

10. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

It took me forever to find a job. But the only reason why Wendy's needs people is because they keep quitting. It's so damn shitty here, but I am swallowing my pride to get a paycheck. Although, honestly, I'm quitting as soon as I get my CNA. It's terrible and you're reminded daily that you're dirt underfoot. Lol My boss is some 450lb balding 35 year old man who believes me to be tall and unintelligible so he usually makes me put sandwiches together since that's something 'easy' that even I can do. -_-

I almost slapped him when I first met him for my first interview too. Lol He didnt want to shake my hand. Wtf? Didnt introduce himself. I said I had Wendy's experience before and he replied: "Oh, I dont really give a crap."

Despite havin 2 years of cashiering experience.

11. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

some people are just dumb asses, try not to let it bother you, you are better than him.

12. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

lol hard not to. He punished (LOL) me by cutting two of my shifts down to two hours for my availability issue. Not to mention he is punishing those I have to work with because then they're now short by one person for the remainder of what would've been my shift. I wrote down my availability very clearly but he doesn't want to take the time to read it so he just writes w/e hours and I can't do that as I gotta take the bus to get home. Lol So he punished me by slashing my hours and reminded me I can still be let go. Even though I wasn't in the err. By the way, never eat at Wendy's. Ever. It's gross and you don't wanna know what they do here... OR rather, what they say.

13. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I get sick every time I eat at Wendy's, so I'll pass. Also, I would contact your regional manager, he is the one that should be let go.

14. Nodnarb

One of my aunts was laid off a few weeks back. Her husband was going to quit his job due to his health problems, but now he can't afford to.

My mom's company has asked employees to cut back on their hours as much as possible, and has started laying off some people. The family business (where my dad works) is really struggling, but still surviving. A larger company tried to buy us out a couple years ago, but my grandpa refused. I expect them to try again, and this time I don't know if we'll have any other option.

I was also trying to get a job, but nobody is hiring.

15. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

That's the store manager, and actually, he's not the worst. LOL I have to think another manager, Adam, is far worst for not doing anything at all. My first day I asked him how to put together sandwiches and he said" Theres a picture above ur head just make it look like that. I dont care if we get complaints" and I was totally flabbergasted. lol He felt the need to remind me that its the end of black history month too...though I hadnt honestly remembered until he said something. I was like wtf is that supposed to mean?