1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you avoid talking about girls?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shadstack, May 31, 2016.

1. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

Let me give some context. The topic of which girls my friend group finds attractive has come up once or twice while I was there. Admittedly, I only hang out with those guys for one person there, my actual friend, and I sort of know some of the other people within the group. To avoid awkwardness, do you have any suggestions about trying to get out of those kinds of conversations? Or at least make an excuse or something.

I know what to do when my friends that are girls talk about guys they find attractive; don't get involved and silently agree. That's much easier because they don't expect you to say anything.

So, do I just lie or do I somehow avoid it (and how could I avoid it?)?

Edit: Could a mod move this to "Support and Advice"?

#1 Shadstack, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
  2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just say that "there's no girls I like [add detail to situation]"

It's not lying, but it's not giving the full picture.

If it's not rude to ask, may I ask what a "level 7 Pyrofox'' is? I tried on google and it just came up with an emptyclosets post you made unrelated to this.

#2 Secrets5, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
  3. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

That? It's just an otherkin joke. xD

4. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When I was in school, I hadn't realised for a very long time that I was lesbian but I knew I didn't like guys, I thought I was just a late developer or something, it didn't bother me too much because my friends were mostly cool with me saying I didn't like anybody. But on the odd occasion I did lie, back then.

Nowadays I don't like to lie when I'm around people I'm not out to (who I know won't take it well) so I just give a very smug-looking smile, like "hahaha wouldn't you like to know" and don't say anything at all. No signs of shame or embarrassment. Eventually they get bored and give up pestering me.

5. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you want to play it safe, you could give a really offhand generic comment like "right, she's alright I guess. What do you think?" Try and throw a vague comment in and see if you can direct the conversation to another friend. If you want to get out of the conversation completely maybe you could, but if you're stuck there, generic comments/vaguely agreeing with someone, can be the way to go.

6. Brytaleith

Vague, noncommittal answers usually work. Or you could deflect the conversation, like based on something the girl "reminded" you of, or a "random thought" that popped into your head.

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just tell them you're gay. :slight_smile:

8. thrashgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    this.

9. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think not saying anything (looking disinterested to the topic) is the best approach. Also, if they ask you whether you like x or y, just say she's not "your type". They shouldn't normally go on asking you unless they suspect you're gay, WHICH IS TOTALLY FINE. You WANT them to suspect you're gay so they won't push the "girl" subject any further. Anyone that spends 5 minutes with me, the thought of "He is probably gay" will probably cross their mind at least once. But they won't ask, because if they do and you're smart enough to reverse the situation and make them look like nosy bitches, they lose. As long as you never verbally confirm being gay (gossip is gonna be there anyway) but not pretend to be the straightest, you're totally fine.

By the way, the girl thing "silent approve" - NOPE. I can personally attest that the other participants will have SOMETHING to say about the remark

Sorry for the long rant, cheers!

10. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

ha, hahhahhhahaa, hahhhahhahahhhhaa, ha.

you're cute.

---------- Post added 1st Jun 2016 at 06:58 PM ----------

Thanks for the advice thus far, guys. :slight_smile:

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even with my friends and stuff I never commented or ogled about women. I just didn't comment or carry on the conversation. Before I started transitioning you could have considered me a heteronormative male too.