1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scholarship Applications

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by taken, May 31, 2016.

1. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is not related to sexual orientation or anything like that, but I just have a question...

How do you answer the question "Describe why you are a good candidate for a scholarship"

I want to say something that stands out and makes my application memorable, but I have no idea what to say.

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Talk about something lgbt related.

3. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being in a professional school in the deep south, I don't think that would be a smart move. While it would be memorable, I don't think that is quite the best move.

4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say the more related to the scholarship topic or program your in, the better.

Talk about volunteering youve done, jobs you've had, clubs you've been apart of. Maybe explaining your financial need? Or how you hope to impact your chosen field once you graduate?

Probably not much help :/

#4 HM03, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
  5. thepandaboss

Talk about your future and your aspirations. How will the scholarship help you obtain your dream job or make your job better? Show that you'll use your college education to better your life and obtain better opportunities. Got accepted to 3 out of the 4 colleges I just applied to writing essays along those lines. :slight_smile:

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would talk about your future as thepandaboss said, and say about how you plan to use your education to help others. I would also talk about any struggles you have faced and problems you have overcame which have gotten you to this point.

I only applied to one Uni which is the one I'm attending, and I have gotten basically enough scholarship money to not owe anything in student loan debt, which I'm thankful for.

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha I know I'm teasing you! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I think really though you should probably just write something that sounds professional I guess?

8. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, the question is kind of like asking us how long a piece of string is. The only way we could really offer anything of substance would be if we stalked everything about you and made suggestions from there. In other words, only you will know why you are suitable for a scholarship. The starting point to being successful is having the confidence in your own experiences so that you aren't relying on the arbitrary recommendations of strangers online. :slight_smile:

I recently had to complete an application form for a higher education job which had a scholarship attached, and one of the things I did was to create a spider web based on the assessment criteria and person specification. By mapping it all out, I found that it became much easier to link various skills and qualities to each other, and it all started to feel like it flowed more naturally and in an organised manner. Otherwise, the whole thing just feels more like a free-for-all, dependant on us being able to think of specifics when the moment requires it. With a bit of time and effort, the focus can become a lot more broad. :slight_smile: