1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have we taken a step back from achieving equality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rudysteiner, Jun 2, 2016.

1. rudysteiner

Hey everyone,

With gay men/lesbian women in mind, do you think society has taken a step back in achieving equality between heterosexual and homosexual people? I say this because of the recent uproar of straight parents not wanting to take their children to see the new Finding Dory movie due to it featuring a same-sex couple. Two women in a relationship. Do they know that Ellen is a lesbian?

With Pride coming up this month, there's also been an influx of Pride-related clothing lines/shoe lines (Nike, Adidas, etc.), which have received a negative reception from the heterosexual public. Not to stereotype, and I know this is most likely just the majority, but it seems like the lion's share of this homophobia is coming from the USA, and I can't help but think that this step back has stemmed from the success of the Republican party. And we also have the whole bathroom situation in North Carolina, too.

Thoughts? Do you think we have?

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of people thought that the struggle for LGBTQ rights stopped with the Obergefell ruling which legalized marriage equality in all 50 states, and US territories and commonwealths. The people who think that just because two people can put rings on their fingers means that the fight for equality has stopped when there are still 29 states where you can be fired or evicted from a house for being LGBTQ, there are hate crimes against the community and trans people and especially trans women of color being murdered at an alarming rate shows me that the people who say the fight is over need to be shown that the fight indeed is not over.

3. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think we have. I think we have taken large strides forwards, and what we're seeing from people is a vocal minority trying to concentrate their objections for maximum effect. If we look at historical oppression, there is no doubt about how far we have come. For example, American society has gone from a media witch hunt against Ellen Degeneres for publicly coming out and essentially making her unemployable, to her being one of its most prominent daytime presenters with overwhelming popularity and sponsors. Decades ago it was Ellen who was considered incompatible for an audience, whereas now she's so mainstream in her appeal that reactionary bigots are having to ostracise themselves from her work.

There's always been a backlash whenever companies have come out in support of LGBT+ rights. I suspect those of older generations on here will have some horror stories about how things where when discrimination was at its peak, and it will contrast quite sharply with the keyboard warriors our generation has to deal with today. I suspect it just seems like the voices are louder to us, because they're able to meet a much larger audience and mould a selective following who agree with them. However, the only reason they're doing this in numbers is because they know their discrimination is becoming increasingly redundant and challenged outside of their virtual echo chamber as time goes on. It was only a decade ago that America was passing same-sex marriage bans en-masse, out of fear that gay people wanted to destroy the traditional family unit. Nowadays, there's a majority of Americans who support those marriage rights, and even more who don't care enough about what gay people are doing to stage random protests and so forth. Of course, there's still backlashes that are being dealt with, but even they have the hallmarks of reactionary protest, rather than principled stands.

There will always be people who want to act like idiots about changes in social attitudes. There's certain corners of the internet who still froth at the mouth because of the Loving v Virginia case in America, but that wouldn't necessarily allow us to conclude America is more racist now than it was in the 1940/50/60's. Gay rights issues haven't changed as significantly as views on racial equality, but it is moving in the same direction. It just needs more time.

4. fenestra

I think, like every aspect of evolution, these things come in fits and starts. Certainly we could take a step back here or there but, as long as these things are visible, it will continue to get better. That's kind of the paradoxical nature of the media: it simultaneously keeps the hate visible while making it look a lot worse than it is. I honestly think, overall, we are much, much closer to equality (and I see it gaining speed) than we were even 10 years ago.

I just try to think of the pushback from people as growing pains. Yeah, it is an adjustment and, yeah, people are going to have a problem but we're just growing and that can hurt sometimes. Seems a fair reaction (though I don't condone the hate, of course, just providing a rationale.)

#4 fenestra, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  5. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    With every action, there is an equal reaction. The vocal minority is very loud because they are losing their fight against LGBT rights. Right after the Obergefell ruling, the acceptance rate for gay marriages seemed to spike down in the polls, but that was just because it was such a big change. It seems a year later things have evened out a bit and now we're back on track to pushing for more acceptance. I guess since fire and brimstone haven't fallen from the sky yet, people are beginning to take a lighter tone of LGBT people.

Also, the younger generation typically is more accepting of LGBT people. As far as people my age goes, I know many Republicans who are okay with gay marriage. Some even went as far as talking on social media about how great the Obergefell ruling was. All it takes is time and a little bit of advocacy.

#5 Skaros, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  6. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The couple in Finding Dory are ambiguous, they could be lovers, cousins, friends ... I think it's up to the individual child or adult whose watching it. [Unless more information is given when it comes out, it's just on the trailer for now].

Maybe the parents just don't know how to explain it to their child, since they've probably never been in a same-sex relationship they wouldn't know how beyond the basic ''girl loves girl and boy loves boy''. In that case, I'm sure there's information already on the information about how to talk to kids about people who love the same-sex if they've been asking.

But yes, I think we have taken a step back in achieving equality; and now focusing much more on diversity [amoungst all groups].

Quote ''Idiots about changing social values''

- There are also anti-religious [different from atheist] idiots who insist every religious person is homophobic/racist/sexist etc. I mean, one's belief about a magic man in the sky (i.e. God(s)) does not automatically dictate their belief on someone else's biology.

Bottom line: communication is in order.

I mean, freedom of speech, right? As long as you're not being an [for a lack of politer word] asshole about it. So why not get the Pope and Barack Obama to sit down and talk about gay et al. rights. I'm sure those two will have a much more structured arguments (whether or not you agree with their views) that protesters on the streets.

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think we have taken a step backwards and I think it would be wrong to assume that a screeching minority are in any way representative of mainstream opinion. We have made huge strides forward in the last ten years, but in so doing we have offended the sensibilities of some vocal people on the Christian right, who have adopted a siege mentality. The fact that these people have a platform for their narrow-minded views can sometimes give the impression that we have stalled, or are going backwards, but it's really not the case at all.

Of course, we have a long way to go to achieve full equality and there are many battles to be won, especially in parts of the United States, but don't be disheartened. The tide has turned in our favour and we should fight on with confidence.

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gay and lesbian rights are leaps and bounds ahead of where they were 20 years ago, but true equality has yet to be achieved. Even white heteronormative women are socially treated as lesser then men. Then we have ethnicity. And religion. So true equality seems out of reach by the nature of the world, but regressing? No.

But if you think it's bad for cisgender gay people... try being transgender.

9. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Nah, not really a step back. That being said, there has been quite a bit of understandable naïvete abuzz since the marriage ruling in the US; that now there is equality. Equality has not been achieved, not even close. Equity has been furthered, I would say, but no, certainly not equality. Equality is quite an abstract idea, anyway. It's like, if heterosexual and homosexual, cisgender and transgender, etc., are afforded 10 units of respect per capita, without irregularities, that's equality, which isn't really, like, realistic. If the former groups are afforded 10 while the latter is afforded 9, that's equity. For justice to be grasped, however, equality is a more prudent goal than equity in my opinion.

10. ForeverMe

I think that although we may not be taking steps backward, there are people upset about us moving forward, and just want to go back to the way it was. Personally, I think the past is overrated.

11. GayBoyBG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

This is a fine example of taking steps back. /smh

12. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say yes. Maybe it is because more people are becoming aware of queer and trans issues because of media and so the shitheads are panicking and trying to stop it and make their dumb opinions heard. Like the dam of invisibility is breaking and all the queer is beginning to break out and the shitheads are trying desperately more than ever to re piece back the rock. But ultimately the water will overwhelm them and all the queerness will come flooding over the banks and fill all the rivers and it will keep getting better.

13. HeavenMade

Out Status:
    A few people
    I, personally, don't see anything having changed, but I'm going to echo the sentiments of everyone else in this thread: that while we have achieved marriage equality, there is still an awfully-long way to go. The stigma still remains, too many people correlate HIV/AIDS with being a "gay disease;" mainstream discussions on domestic violence almost-exclusively focus on heterosexual couples; not all U.S. states or countries permit for gay and lesbian adoption (my state, Pennsylvania, just announced yesterday that they are going to officially-recognize lesbian couples as two mothers on a child's birth certificate); and so much more. I don't see the entire Planet fully accepting us for quite some time, yet.

14. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A Disney film shows a same-sex couple (ambiguous or no) in a major motion picture, and you think we're going backwards because *some people are unhappy about it*?

15. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with those who are saying no. We have not taken a step backward. We have a taken a big step forward and it has been met with an equally strong reaction (as is the wont of nature). Sometimes need to be pushed forward aggressively. "Wait and bide time" is not always the solution to achieve equality. Yes, initially, there is a strong backlash, but eventually the masses come to accept the change and we wonder how things could ever have been different. Is there a serious push to take the vote away from women? Or to re-segregate? Issues that once divided the nation have become non-issues, as will this one eventually.

16. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel that homophobia will stop being a thing in at least one or two generations from now. Once the majority will support equality, the minority who won't will suffer the social stigma and be forced to accept that they're unreasonable. Sometimes you have to push evolution. Why? Because you can't ask from children raised by homophobic parents to have different opinions.

17. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps you can enlighten me further with that profound statement. Let me explain mine in more depth, then perhaps you won't respond with a trite shake my head acronym.

While equal rights for people are not 100% equitable, gay marriage is becoming recognized around the world, but despite for America having black and white people being "equal" on paper it's not. But segregation is not something that is legal in the us. Therefore there is progression not regression. While homosexual people are not seen as 100% equal to heterosexual people the expansion of rights and privileges is a step forward.

#17 Kasey, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  18. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes it works, other times their skulls are just too thick. I know it eventually worked on me, but I was questioning my "motivations" to be such anyway. Still, I'd probably still be acting like Westboro if someone hadn't of knocked some sense into me. Though I do regret still pretending to be homophobic for a year or two after, just so "they wouldn't stop liking me" but I was a kid I guess.

#18 Kira, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  19. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If Trump gets in, you're going to see some major steps back, with his plans to undo Obama's executive actions on trans rights, and appoint a justice, "in the mold of Scalia", to appease the right, and make it appear like it wasn't him who did the dirty work. And if Bader goes, we could see huge setbacks in terms of LGBT rights...

I think things are in a delicate place.

One thing I've learned over the years is that Republicans are mean, nasty horrid creatures who will stop at nothing to take away rights from those unlike themselves.

20. Glowing Eyes

There were racists who responded violently to John Boyega being in Star Wars 7 but that doesn't mean race relations have gone backwards.