1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

talking scientifically

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by diegon3, Mar 2, 2009.

1. diegon3

Ok i am a senior in high school and am taking an AP Biology class I decided to look over through my book cause i was bored and found something extremely interesting that applies to gays and I'm trying to figure out how it could also apply to lesbians but in order for me to tell what it is i must know if i should just say it with mostly actual terminology used or explaining the more completely:icon_bigg

2. littledinosaurs

say it!
    say it!
    say it!

3. diegon3

Well when an animal is cloned there is an egg taken from one animal then the nucleus in that egg (egg and sperm cells in humans have 23 chromosomes generally called a haploid) is taken out and a regular cell's nucleus (a regular human cell has 46 chromosomes called somatic cells and diploid) is taken out and placed into the egg cell. That egg cell will be fertilized since it has all 46 chromosomes then it is implanted to a surrogate. After that you would get an exact clone of that one animal.
    If you look deeper into it, if the nucleus is taken out of a haploid your sperm to replace the nucleus of and egg that was donated then you get a sperm of another person to combine with the new egg for fertilization to occur then the egg is placed in a surrogate once it is born you have a child of two men.
    right now i am still trying to figure out how it may work for women i was thinking it might work by replacing the nucleus of a sperm with that on an egg except that with that scenario if it where to work they would only be able to have girls as children
    there are other things that would make it difficult to work with but it would be a big possibility
    if you didnt understand anything just tell me i can explain or if you want more details on how this would work

4. littledinosaurs

Wait you can actually make a baby from two men's DNA?

5. diegon3

Not completely sure but if you look at the cloning process and compare that to surrogacy and connect the dots you could do that but like I said many factors have to take place can wait till somebody tries to experiment it!!!!!

6. littledinosaurs

7. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If it involves cloning don't want to be involve

But sounds cool!

8. starfish

There have been embryos made from 2 eggs using an existing embryo as a surrogate. It would be possible to make an embryo from 2 sperm using the same idea. However care would have to be taken not to make a YY embryo, as it would not survive.

9. Hoppip

Have you studied parthenogenetic hermaphroditism? That's when a female fertilizes her own gamete without even having to use a male's sperm. Pretty intense.

The little angry science atheist in me was about to yell "VIRGIN MARY!" until my teacher told me it can't happen to humans. :|

But yeah, just felt like chucking that out there. ^_^

10. Greggers

I wonder if a YY embryo would make like...a third gender! :O That would be so trippy. Not a woman, not a man but a....a....what would you call it haha?

And i hope this research comes far by the time i, hopefully, have a husband. Ive often thought of what i would do in this situation, because i would want a kid of my own, but it would not be both of ours..not truly...

11. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    YY would not survive since the X gives a lot. Having two Y will only lead to death, but two x does not

12. diegon3

It acutally can happen but the thing is that the man is the one that determines the gender so if the woman's sex chromosomes have XX all there eggs are devided each one having an X self fertalization does exist in humans but it is extreamly rare the thing is that only girls will come out of that type of pregnancy
    thats why when starfish said that it is hard for a baby to come from two sperms is that men have XY in the sex chromosome so it devides so two YY will not be possible to survive two XX and XY will but those are the three possibilities with sperm

13. Mickey

I read somewhere that they used 2 female mice and produced babies. All were female.
    I guess this is what you meant?
    p.s. I flunked science in high school!