1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Else Here a "Double Rainbow"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HeavenMade, Jun 3, 2016.

1. HeavenMade

Out Status:
    A few people
    If you're wondering what I mean by "double rainbow," I mean an LGBTQ person who's on the autism spectrum. Since around the 1970's, parent-led autism organizations have used rainbow puzzle pieces to represent us.

Just over the past few months alone, I've felt like a kid in a candy shop as I finally have come to fully accept my neurology and my sexuality. Too many people assume autistics are all asexual or hypersexual straight people, which is quite irritating. As thus far, I have only found a single organization for LGBTQ autistic people-- Twainbow-- and it's located in Texas, some thousands of miles from where I live.

Being autistic will make some things difficult whenever I get into trying to find a girlfriend, such as making eye contact and initiating conversation-- but I recognize it as part of myself and wouldn't want to rid of it. That would be equivalent to murdering my creativity, through my lens. ❤

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That would be me. Diagnosed with Aspergers in 2010.

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Interesting, never heard of or came across this term. It'd be quite interesting to trace back it's origins and why LGBTQ people who have autism are referred to as double rainbows.

4. Just Call Me Ky

Wow this is incredible! I love this term so much! I knew that the rainbow was for autism and I also knew it was for LGBTQ but I never tied the two together. I have one sibling, an older brother, who has aspbergers so he is one rainbow and I am lesbian/bisexual (still finding myself) so that makes two rainbows! This is so awesome. Also I think its great that you are prud of who you are! I am still struggling in that area :/ Anyway thanks for sharing this made my day. -Ky

5. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And I guess you just answered my primary question. For curiosity's sake, why does autism have a rainbow, like what's the significance?

6. HeavenMade

Out Status:
    A few people

If you ever see a rainbow infinity symbol, it's not actually for LGBTQ pride/rights-- it represents the neurodiversity movement, which emerged in the 1990's and preaches that things such as autism, ADHD, dyslexia, and the like, while can (and often must) be managed, should not be cured and are simply variations of human neurology. The rainbow infinity symbol represents the diversity of both human neurology and of the autism spectrum-- a perfect example of the latter half being that I have Asperger's syndrome, while I have a cousin who is your classic nonverbal autistic.

7. wolf of fire

My people you have summoned me, I am in possession of two rainbows, one in my left pocket one in my right.

8. Nicaklaus

I've never heard of that term before- you learn something new every day! Good luck on getting a girlfriend. Also, I can relate to struggling with making eye contact and initiating conversation around my crushes lol :bang::grin:

9. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
  10. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me, but you already know that~. ^^

11. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Not a double rainbow, but quite close. :wink: I did a screening test for autism, scored high and discussed it with my psychogolist, but we agreed after talking for a while that I probably wasn't autistic, or at least not, like.... to the extent that it disrupts my day-to-day activities, which was what we focused on.
    I do have a bipolar diagnosis though, which is usually seen as a neurological disorder, I think. So maybe I'm a double rainbow anyway? I don't know? XD