1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liking celebrities/artists because they're LGBT

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Electric Puns, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Electric Puns

Do you think it's wrong to admire someone because they have the same sexuality or gender as you? I know that I have sought out gay celebrities such as Tegan and Sara and Kate McKinnon. I do really like their work but I can't deny that part of the reason I like them is because they're gay and they can be role models for me. However I know that some people will say that it's 2016 and it shouldn't matter. What are your thoughts on this? Do you like to have role mdels who reflect you?

2. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I think it's irrelevant because it's not a choice that's made, we're born this way. It's the same reason for liking somebody because of their race or hair colour.

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It isn't wrong to admire someone you see yourself in. Not at all. In fact, this is the basis of most cases of idolisation or admiration. That, or the person in question is one of the following: hot, talented, or in possession of a great personality. Sometimes those we admire are a mix of those traits.

For reference, I look up to Adydian Dowling. He is the first transman I found out about online when I was questioning, and seeing his transition gave me a lot of hope. I admire him because of his strength and good character, the fact that he's trans, and if we're being honest because he is quite the looker.

4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    We all aspire to be like people we are already like in one aspect. For example, an 8 year old gay child might find out J. Parsons is gay, and since they are both gay, aspire to be like him (so an actor, or a scientist if they'd been watching too much Big Bang Theory). The 8 year old recognizes themselves in him, and seek to be like him in every way (because the 8 y/o is still learning about the world).

But I think the LGBT person needs to have done something admirable, because to like someone because they're LGBT but has done unadmirable things I don't think is a good role model.

I would like an agender (/NB) bisexual character on a TV show I already watch just so I can naturally put it on as I normally do, and then get my parents reaction to NB-Bi without them suspecting I'm that since I already watch the show.

#4 Secrets5, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  5. ForeverMe

I think that its okay to like celebrities because they are LGBT, because they are, in some ways, representing you. However, I don't think tht should be the only reason. I think its sort of like how sometimes racial minorities in a country or area might identify with a celebrity of their race, because it kind of validates a person's identity to themself a little bit, and because that person may have gone through things similar to things that a person who identifies with them in some way may have gone through.

6. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm fairly certain I like Laci Green for a variety reasons. And yes, her being pansexual is one. And also because she just cracks me up. I think it's okay to like celebrities because of their sexual or gender identity. Just like it's okay to like a celebrity because they share your religion, race, or ethnic background. You have something pretty big in common.

7. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It can be one factor among many that cause you to like that celebrity or artist. If it's the only reason, well, it probably matters little in the case of a celebrity, as long as they are not a terrible person. As for an artist, it seems odd to put their music second behind their sexuality, but to each their own. Knowing that an artist is LGBT might initially draw you to them, but hopefully you appreciate their output as well.

8. Electric Puns

Yeah it was knowing that a celebrity was LGBT that first caught my attention, but I did then just like their work regardless of that. I would have liked them if I was straight.

9. thepandaboss

Well, it's definitely nice seeing members of the community out in the wild :slight_smile: Although I will admit that I only like one Cliks/Lucas Silvera song.

10. bidemi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There is nothing wrong in it,most people tend to admire\like those that they have things in common with.,which can be in terms of race,gender&sexuality.
    There are some celebs who i got interested in because they are gay but nonetheless there are still many straight celebtrities that am a fan of.

11. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's nothing wrong with wanting a member of the LGBTQ community to succeed in an industry that has historically marginalized their voices. I'm beyond happy to see people like Troye Sivan start to become LGBTQ superstars in the music industry.

12. guitar

I've been a huge Rob Halford fan for most of my life. While I think it's cool that we share a commonality in that we're in the minority of men who happen to like The D, I'm a fan of his music and singing abilities first, and the fact that he's LGBT second