1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proportions of sexuality.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Secrets5, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

So there are some people who believe different things about how much % of one sexuality is in the population.

1. 90% straight:10% gay
    2. 80% bi:10% straight:10% gay

Then there's other claims without probabilities

3. Everyone's a bit bi [which completely contradicts 1]

And there's nothing to say about ace [which I think would be less than 1% of the population, but have no prove of that, just what I hear]

So I'm just wondering which is correct and studies to prove it? Or is it one of those things that cannot be measured due to people not wanting to / not being able to reveal their true sexuality?

Bottom line is this probably doesn't matter in practice, but upon hearing different claims, it's good to know which one is the correct one.

Thank-you

#1 Secrets5, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I've seen so many different answers to this question. If I took the time, I could find studies, surveys, etc., that completely contradict each other. It seems to me that which one of these is 'correct' is mostly just different people having faith in different studies etc...

If there was, like, an absolute answer, like "99% of all researchers believe X", then I'd love to hear it, but I've far from heard anything like that.

3. Alexrocks1253

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have no idea about this. All I know is that most people are straight.

4. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It can never be truly proven, because sexuality is not a documented statistic the way race and gender are. Additionally, sexuality is only a reported statistic when it is included--in other words, you have only word of mouth to go by, and a person's perception of their sexuality can be highly subjective.

Conservatives like to contradictorily claim that "deviant" sexualities are a miniscule percentage (around 1%--to then claim that their "special interest" supersedes the will of the 99%) as well as claim that rates of homosexuality are going up due to the "morally bankrupt" state of the modern era.

The highest percentage I've heard is 10% and the lowest I've heard is 1%. I don't buy into the notion that everyone is bi, though more people have the potential to be than we probably realize. I've never cared about the percentage myself, because it could be 1 or 10, but the issues would remain the same.

#4 Libertino, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  5. Brytaleith

Honestly, research done in the soft sciences and other things related to humans are super unreliable because humans change a lot and often there is no way of verifying the research and also because of the subjectivity of the words used in the research but imma give it a go anyway.

Here's the research for asexuality: (all are subjective to my research skills, the credibility of the results and the definition of asexuality used but I will try to be as accurate as possible)

1. Research done in 1994: sample size of 18,876 British people, 1.05% reported asexual, research reported by K. Wellings in a book Sexual Behaviour in Britain

2. Alfred Kinsey labeled 1.5% of the adult male population as asexual in his book Sexual Behaviour in the Human Male and further broke down the details in his second book (replace "Male" with "Female". Honestly I'm not listing all the numbers here unless you really want it.)

3. Research in 2004: done by Anthony Bogaert and reported 1% of global population as asexual. (This research is suspected to be flawed due to small sample size and inconsistency of bi/gay population reported with the numbers provided by other studies) Sources: Bogaert, A. (2004) "Asexuality: prevalence and associated factors in a national probability sample" & Bogaert, A. (2006) "Toward a conceptual understanding of asexuality"

4. Study published in 2013: done by Aicken and some other people, based on Natsal-2 data from 2000-2001, reports asexuality in British people of ages 16-44 as 0.4%. Study further breaks the numbers up according to religion.
    Source: Aicken, C.; Mercer, C.; Cassell, J (2013) "Who reports absence of sexual attraction in Britain? Evidence from national probability surveys."

TL;DR:
    1. Stats found using Wikipedia and AVEN sources
    2. Credibility doubted, as with all research on the soft sciences
    3. Percentage of asexuals in global population hovering around 1%\

((I might return with other statistics for the rest of the LGBT people but it's late and even though research is very fun I have to sleep))

#5 Brytaleith, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure there is a concrete answer to this, since sexuality is so subjective, and labels are limiting. The numbers vary by generation, culture, and wealth, among others... some people simply say "No labels" which might be the wisest interpretation of all.