1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I thought this was interesting...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ameryllis, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Ameryllis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So upon exploring the deep realms of the interweb, I came across something that I found pretty interesting.

Apparently in Samoa there's a collection of people called Fa'afafine, who are essentially men that contain both male and female traits. These men show a sort of feminity from a young age and gravitate towards activities and clothing typically believed to be feminine. Recognizing the traits when they are younger, their parents often raise them as females, and some Fa'afafines claim to have truly believed they were females at a young age due to being treated as one.

Fa'afafines are quite well respected in their homelands and are often looked up upon. They are also believed to be "2-spirited', meaning they embody both male and female spirits. This has been a common belief since the early 1900s.

Most Fa'afafines end up having male partners, though many of their partners are heterosexual men (to be honest, this confused me a little.)

I found this interesting because it proves that while some people may find one thing strange and disagree with it, there may be whole societies that have supported it for years and years. Anyway, I hope y'all found this interesting as well! :slight_smile:

#1 Ameryllis, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  2. guitar

There's a documentary called Survival of the Fabulous which discusses this group. Interesting stuff. Yet another way societies and cultures interpret gay men.

#2 guitar, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  3. ForeverMe

A similar phenomenon exists in India with the Hijra, who, as I understand it, are basically trans women. Although society excepts them a real existence, they are not treated nearly as fairly as the Fa'afafine as you described them. They are recognized by the government as a third gender, and are protected by the government in theory, but are not given many protections in practice.