1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I couldn't change of I wanted to vs I wouldn't change if I could

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sean12, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Sean12

Discuss it! I'm personally in favor of I wouldn't change if I could. Don't have time to write about why atm but will add my reasoning soon.

2. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I guess I'm both at this point, but I really could not change even if everyone I knew told me to do so. Realistically, we'd be better off arguing for our rights as if we had a choice (just don't outright say "we have a choice"), because trying to argue under the premise that we have no choice isn't going to help us. We don't have a choice, but it doesn't change the fact that we are more or less wrong. The point we should make is that we are free to be ourselves and are both: not morally wrong or harmful to anyone.

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "I couldn't change if I wanted to" is different than "I couldn't change if I wanted to." The first seems to indicate a reluctancy and longing for that ability to change, while the other is dismissively acknowledging a fact. The same phrase can have different meaning depending on how it is used. Also, it is of the perspective that 'change' is out of the person's hand, placing them in the passive; there is no choice.

"I wouldn't change if I could" is pretty straightforward. It is an active stance which implies a choice (or illusion of choice) in the matter. This phrase is more aggressive and owns up to the _______ which is in question. It gives off a totally different tone than the previous.

Basically, your first choice is a meek one and your second is assertive. I personally prefer the second.

4. iiimee

I couldn't change if I wanted. Yes, being trans might not be the worst thing ever, but I would change if I could. :/ I'd love to be a cis man, and though I can't imagine it, maybe even a cis woman might be better, though certainly I'd have to be an entirely different person for the second to work...

5. Sean12

So it's bothered me recently that there seems to be a whole narrative about how we have no choice and we can't change (which is a really good and important point that needs to be made) but I love being gay and if given the choice I wouldn't change. I feel like this is the logical next step of being proud as acceptance grows. But thats just me :slight_smile:

6. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I'm more a fan of I wouldn't change if I could because that basically lets people know that I am comfortable with myself and won't change to suit their ideals, or to make them happy. There are only two options: Take it OR leave it. If you can't accept every. single. part. of me, then you don't deserve to be associated with me, don't deserve my love or friendship or kindness, and you can go jump in a lake for all I care :grin:

7. Misadori

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe that I wouldn't change if I could. Sure, only by thinkin' of it makes me feel worried or sence some kind of pressure (I'm a quite sensitive guy that goes immediately to a defense position when someone raises his or her voice towards me.) If I would change then I wouldn't be myself anymore, or would I? I like bein' who I am and right now at least, I feel like I have no intentions of changin' myself to someone else. I am who I am and I wish and wants the world to know that too someday(A)

8. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I couldn't change even if I wanted to.

I go through phases, sometimes I'm accepting of myself and other times my mind decides to mess with me and it can go to some rather dark places. I'm still trying to let go of the vision of how I expected my life to roll out, but at the same time it's hard for me to figure out what parts of my internal thought is wishful thinking and what's real anymore. I've messed myself up so much that I'm starting to find deciphering the two to be more and more difficult.

I know wishing away my problems isn't going to work, but I think if I was straight I'd at least understand myself better and I wouldn't have to work through all these negative internal voices I have right now. I just wish I could forget some of the things others and even myself have said to me. I just feel like leaving existence and sleeping for a few days. But unfortunately I either can't sleep or I sleep too much recently and it's starting to affect my health, but I don't know what else to do.

:bang:

9. Glowing Eyes

In terms of gender, I really want to be a cis girl and if I could magically relive my life like that I'd be quite happy so that would be "I couldn't change if I wanted to". But if I were a cis girl, I wouldn't mind being gay so that's "I wouldn't change if I could".