1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Buy Makeup and Nail Polish

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Justinian20, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Justinian20

Now I really want makeup especially concealer because I have bags under my eyes a lot. I am thinking though I'll need some other makeup like foundation and some blush to obviously help me look better in that area. I was also thinking well my nails are too good to just leave alone and so I want some nail polish. Should I get these and do you have any tips so that I don't feel like I'm getting judged by others for buying makeup and nail polish. I'm talking about the shop people mainly.

2. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I think it's awesome that you feel confident enough in yourself to buy and wear make-up and nail polish. Good on ya! I cannot give you tips or advice because I don't wear make-up. Threw mine out because it got old, and never bought more. Nail polish, though... well I have black nail polish with tiny blue glitters mixed in, but in general, I like my face and nails to look natural.

But I bet you were thinking more along the lines of brightly coloured nail polish? There's nothing wrong with that. And if anyone gives you funny looks or comments, just say it's for your sister/friend/cousin/whatever and smile and walk away. And the next time you purchase those items, you will most likely be wearing make-up and nail polish, so then you look them straight in the face, wiggle your fingers and wink whilst saying, "Like it?" Sure to shut them right the fuck up :lol: I hope someone else can give you better advice. I'm just being my twisted self now :grin:

3. ForeverMe

Definitely buy makeup and nail polish. Although I mainly use makeup for theatre, I have friends who, when they started wearing makeup, suddenly realized that they really like it as, well, an art form. So definitely try it out. Maybe start with a relatively neutral nail polish and just the basics for makeup, and see if you like it. Also, stage makeup can be another excuse for buying makeup if the shop people are making you uncomfortable.

#3 ForeverMe, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  4. MrK21

Don't be afraid. As a man who paints his nails
    I can tell you there is not too much to be afraid of. You can also pull the my girlfriend dared me excuse as well if your shopping in public. Also a few tips:
    1) Remover is your best friend. Always have it handy. I normally use toilet paper or paper towel to wipe it off but an old rag works too.
    2) Make sure you have at least a good hour of spare time before applying.
    3)Have an old towel handy. Apply nail polish over towel.
    4) Start with a color that is very visible. I started out with glittery light purple color and it was impossible to see my progress due to lighting. Bad idea lol.
    5) wait for first painted hand to dry before applying to second hand.
    6) Dollar General is your friend. They have a variety of colors for $1.00.
    Also be aware of what I call phantom paint. That's where you think your nails are not dry when they clearly are. That still gets me to this day. Also your probably going to be very nervous first time you wear it in public but after a while you get use to it.

5. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've never tried makeup before, but I have worn nail polish. I wore bright pink nail polish for a while. One problem I ran into was that when I was applying the polish, I had a hard time getting it on straight and not getting any on my fingers.

#5 LaurenSkye, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  6. Justinian20

It wasn't quite so scary as I thought it would be, hooray. Now I have some nail polish and concealer, next up in two months will be foundation and powder and also blush.

I honestly thought they would be super judgemental like some people looking at you funny, but I was even able to ask for help with finding a good concealer for me. YASS.

#6 Justinian20, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  7. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, that's awesome! Congrats! (!)

8. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you would be surprised at the number of guys who have a regular skin and nail care regime. There is an increasing range of toiletries and cosmetics, specially formulated for men's skin, so you are unlikely to be judged by retail assistants in stores that cater to this market.