1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Im interested in learning peoples opinions on this

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by europeanguy, Jun 9, 2016.

1. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    hey, so i had the thought the other day, how would you feel if the guy/girl you were dating/boyfriend or girlfriend with told you they had aspergers or autism? would you feel any different about them? how would it make you feel? would you try to adapt or just be your normal self?

to be honest im curious because whenever i think of the concept of having to tell my future boyfriend that i have Aspergers i feel like that will make them feel like they are dating a child or something, and that a close relationship would feel wrong to them because they might think I wont understand (which i would, for the record and probably most people with aspergers would)

oh also i apologise in advance for the most clickbaityist title ever

#1 europeanguy, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess it depends. How's that for the most cop outyiest answer to the clickbaityist title? :lol:

I'm not the best socially. I'd give the guy a chance and see how it went.

3. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally, I wouldn't care if they had autism/aspergers. If anything, I'd try and help them and defend them from people who're convinced people with apergers/austism are mentally incompetent. I already hate seeing people being put down for something they can't help and Id be even more defensive of them if I were dating them.

4. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you're already dating them and already liking them, I don't see how a revelation like that could ruin the relationship. At most it might help explain some "quirks" you noticed in the person, but it shouldn't be a deal-breaker if you're already comfortable with dating them.

That's at least how it would seem to me, especially given that I may be on the "spectrum" myself.

5. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^this

#5 loveislove01, Jun 9, 2016
  6. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    1. As long as they didn't try to use their disability to 'get out' of doing things they've done to (emotionally or physically) hurt me.

2-5 and * for disability or not.

2. If I said I "don't want to be close" and they said "is it because I'm X" after a while of explaining "No, I just don't like physical closeness because it makes me feel isolated and trapped" then I would probably end it because I don't want to feel forced to do something I don't want to just because someone else has/is 'X'. - and if they want to be close with someone they should probably end it with me because it unlikely to happen.

3. If, in some turn of events that made me feel comfortable to be close, I would be worried that the other person didn't fully want to be close. Even if they were the one asking me. I would probably then say no because I wouldn't want to risk hurting or raping them. It doesn't matter that they know they want it, I can't see into their mind. [Although I really don't see me being close to someone ever so this probably won't apply].

4. If we didn't 'click' then I probably wouldn't ask out again. It's weird - there's people I can get on instantly, and always talk, and then the people I don't click with instantly I almost never 'click' with them. Whether or not we agree with what each other says.

5. Compromise (Adaptation) is vital in any relationship. To discuss our likes and dislikes to be able to understand each other and talk about what we both like, and maybe sometimes what the other dislikes if it is important to discuss it with them. Some things are not compromisable, like sex, and some things are compromisable like what movies to watch together.

__

How would it make me feel? It depends why/when they're telling me. If they've just randomly said it, then I'll probably be a bit shocked ["Um... okay, can we discuss that at a suitable day/time/place?] and then find a more suitable time to discuss it. If they've said it in [1] then there's a good chance I won't believe them as it could just be said to 'get out' of what they're doing [*sorry, I don't trust easily if something's said after the event that could be used as a 'get out card', and yes, people have done this to me]. If it's during the initial dating meetings [do people have these?] then that's the good time I discussed and we would discuss it then.

__

*I know this wasn't all accepting, but I'm really not sure what people can say to me to get me to change my mind. If I suddenly trust people then it could lead to trouble [like court cases if accused rape] or people 'playing me' and using that to force me to stay with them if they've done something I've already said I don't like [in the meetings].

__

And pointing on what someone else says. If we're already in a working relationship, then pretty much everything said above is solved as those things haven't happened, and therefore can continue to be in a relationship with them.

#6 Secrets5, Jun 9, 2016
  7. Plattyrex

My therapist thinks I have autism. As long as I like the person that's all that matters.

8. YinYang

Honestly, it'd probably change the way I see the person, but that alone would never stop me from trying to keep the relationship going. If I liked the person beforehand, I'd still like them, and the only change I'd make to the relationship is to make sure my partner is comfortable. I'd be lying if I said my view of them wouldn't change, though.

9. derVaminoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Not sure about autism, but I'm diagnosed with Asperger's and it's really not even noticeable apart from me being socially awkward at times. And I mean, if they weren't able to tell prior to the confession, what would there be to adapt to?

10. Plattyrex

Yeah, it seems like it would be more or less the same.

11. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    you clearly have the advantage of not being weird like me, i do have some weird ways of doing things that would probably need to be gotten used to and this would provide an explanation. its a curious topic though, it seems that many people react in lots of different ways, i guess its a case of just seeing how it goes

12. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you would like to answer;

What "weird ways of doing things" do you have?
    How would you want someone to respond to it initially?
    How would you want someone to respond/change actions after you do those things?
    Are there any types of responses that would mean you ending the relationship with them automatically?

Thank-you.

13. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since I have Asperger's, it'd be something we could relate to each other about. I think it might make us closer.

14. timo

Yep, probably this.

If it would be too much for me to handle, I wouldn't be dating the guy in the first place.

15. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If I'm already dating them, or even if I wasn't, then I wouldn't really care. As long as I like their personality, then it wouldn't really matter to me. Plus that would be hypocritical of me, since I'm on the spectrum myself.

16. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I liked them, I liked them. It doesn't matter what "conditions" they have. Everyone is unique.

And besides, I have Aspergers so why would I reject them for that?

17. ForeverMe

I wouldn't really care. Personality is what matters.

18. ChameleonSoul

I'm jumping on the bandwagon and mentioning that I have Asperger's as well. So since I am on the autism spectrum, it would be pretty hypocritical of me for me to feel different with them.

19. Nicaklaus

I'd most definitely give them a chance, and see how things go. If they continue to be positive, then I see no problem :slight_smile:

20. faustian1

Well, it wouldn't be a problem, because before they told me I would have figured it out. If I got along with them, so much the better, since I'm one of you too. As you probably know, two people with Aspberger's generally is a tough match.

Now, on to the real answer, for the rest of the people. Most people already would feel different, because they have difficulties with Aspies. Very few Aspies will have a lot of friends, because of social disabilities that hamper their communication skills. In particular, non-verbal communication is hard. In other words, if you've been dating long enough, the other person is going to know that there is something different about you. And, if they have stuck around, they probably like it.