1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should illegal immigrants be allowed to attend college?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dreamcatcher, Jun 10, 2016.

1. dreamcatcher

Texas High School Valedictorians Come Out as Undocumented Immigrants, Face Backlash - ABC News

Recently, I read this article. It's about an undocumented immigrant living in the U.S who received a full scholarship to go to an Ivy League school. During her graduation ceremony, she revealed that she was an undocumented immigrant and received a lot of backlash. I'm curious about what you guys think about this. Should illegal immigrants be allowed to attend college for free? Should they even be allowed to attend at all? I'm a bit torn on the issue as I can understand both sides even though I come from a family of immigrants. I'd like to get some perspective. Please keep it classy in your responses folks :slight_smile:

2. AlamoCity

If an Ivy League school offers a full scholarship, it was in no way financed by any taxpayer since they are PRIVATE colleges. They also have endowments in the BILLIONS.

The girl in question got a scholarship to UT Austin, a Texas public college that by the approval of the State Legislature allows illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition if they went to a state high school (and the Supreme Court has also ruled that ALL children are required to be offered a free and compulsory state-funded education through high school).

Even a conservative Texas legislature sees the benefit of the education of all who live in the state. I mean, most states offer GED and college courses to inmates, so why not a girl who has done nothing wrong (I know she's in the country illegally but whatever crime was committed was before the age of majority and her parents more than her should shoulder any blame). I know some in Texas want to roll back the in-state tuition for undocumented people, but it was signed by Rick Perry. That has to stand for something.

And, if she's attending college "for free," the college saw potential in her. I got a four-year ride to college and it wasn't for a pretty face :lol:.

3. derVaminoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If they entered the country illegally, they are not legally justified to even remain in the country. So from a legal standpoint, imho no.

From a non-legal standpoint, would probably depend on the individual situation.

#3 derVaminoi, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have the ambition, grit, and determination, you should be able to go to University and continue your education. It is in the United States' best interest to have a well-educated populace and that means having anyone who is able to receive a two or four-year college degree or more. If a college or University sees potential in you to allow you to have a full-ride, that is amazing and you should be able to take that opportunity, citizen or undocumented. There are many undocumented students within the US education system, and they deserve the same treatment in that system, as they are simply trying to receive an education and benefit society like the rest of us. As someone who got the equivalent of a four-year academic scholarship to attend a flagship institution, I love hearing of other stories of people who were able to overcome odds in different ways to succeed. I was gay and was bullied heavily growing up, but was able to get a 3.85 high school GPA, go to college and finish my first year with a 4.0, and seeing that undocumented people as well as black high school graduates (I saw another story where a black woman got over $2.5 million in total scholarships) and others have similar success stories of overcoming obstacles is very heartwarming to me, and that is why I wish to fight to lower the cost of college education in the US so that anyone from any background will be able to afford a quality education.

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No they should not, simply because you should not be in this country in the first place. However, obviously they shouldn't deport this girl or deny her college. The problem isn't whether illegal immigrants should be allowed to attend college, it's why don't we have an easier way for people like this girl to become citizens? There are plenty of illegal immigrants making great contributions to our country and we need to find a way to make them legal citizens so that they can truly be a part of our country.

---------- Post added 10th Jun 2016 at 03:42 AM ----------

I want to add... it's sort of frustrates me that "illegal immigrant" has basically become "second class citizen." It seems that if institutions such as universities are going to (and already do) offer benefits to illegal immigrants, there's really no point in them being illegal. Just make them legal and there won't be all these hoops to jump through and special rules to make........

6. Mojan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Generally, no. Here in the UK you can't even be enrolled in any school without your passport. I don't support 'freeloading'. Since she didn't use the taxpayers' money I don't mind though the college should have arranged some sort of student visa for her or something.

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. This is precisely why we need the Dream Act at the federal level: to give a path to citizenship for the children who were brought here illegally by their parents and are culturally just as American as anyone else.

8. timo

in an ideal world there's no such thing as an illegal immigrant. the world belongs to us all.

9. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. Everyone should be entitled to a good education and a better life, and no person is "illegal".

10. ForeverMe

Of course illegal immigrants should be allowed to go to college. They are just trying to make lives for themselves, who are we to stop them?

11. Capricorn98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No they shouldn't be allowed to attend college. They should get into whatever country legally first like everyone else.

12. Joelouis

A clue to my answer lies with the word "illegal".

13. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. That way, they can gain the knowledge to get a good career and contribute to society.

14. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Immigration is an issue that I tend to find myself leaning more right-wing. However, I can't understand why people are calling her lazy and saying she "doesn't give back" when she clearly just demonstrated that she's able to both, give back and work hard. I believe it should be easier to become a legal citizen, but illegal immigrants should have to follow the law just like everyone else.

I'd say let her go onto college with her full ride. Even grant her citizenship when possible. She's proven that she's able to work hard for a living and truly give back to the community.

15. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it should be illegal for them to move to the US in the first place. If you live in this country, unless you are Native American, you are a descendant of immigrants, so it is hypocritical for you to not want immigrants in this country.

16. ok455

No not at all so many Americans would love to go to college for free with out going in debt. So many Americans would love benefits that illegals gets for free. Its not fair for someone to come here illegally and get benefits that Americans can't get. I get denied ever year for financial aide i would love to go to college and not get in debt.

if you read about how much money and resources schools are spending to educate illegal children and the stories from Americans about their kids not getting a good education your head would spin.

Hate me all you want i agree with Donald Trump with building the wall and enforcing boarder laws and deporting illegals and not taking in the refugees.

#16 ok455, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016