1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My lifelong dream...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ruby Dragon, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To those who don't already know, I LOVE all animals, and feel at my happiest when I'm surrounded by animals. In all honesty, I much prefer animals' "company" over people's company. They just love unconditionally, and don't judge.

From a very young age, I'd like to believe I have a "way" with animals. Meaning, our souls seem to connect and ... well, it's hard to explain without making myself look insane :lol:

I enjoy teaching our old dog new tricks. I taught her to roll over, and bounce a treat off her nose and into her mouth. I had a Lab cross a few years ago, and she was super clever. I taught her to carry the mail from the mailbox to the house. I taught her how to play hide-and-seek, and obviously all the normal stuff like sit, stay, lie down, shake, play dead, etc.

When my sister and I were still small, I remember we went to visit someone, and then the woman asked my mom where we are, and said she hopes we're not with the dogs, because they're aggressive. Well, we were playing with these "aggressive" dogs. And whenever we go to a new place with dogs, or any other animals for that matter, the animals seem to always gravitate towards me.

My lifelong dream is to work with animals. Either becoming an animal (dogs specifically) trainer, or an animal behaviourist. If I lived on a farm, I would have all sorts of animals, from sheep to goats, to cattle, horses, dogs, cats, geese, chickens, even pigs. I just love being around animals. I feel like I "belong" and like I am home when I'm with animals.

I guess the only thing standing in my way is me. I'm scared to take that leap of faith. What if I fail? What if it's not as glamorous as it sounds? Will it generate enough income for me to have the same lifestyle as I have now, with a normal office job? There are so many things going through my mind. I wish I could just snap my fingers and I could walk out of my office job today and into my dream career tomorrow. But that's not how it works. It takes hard work, dedication and commitment. And I don't believe in myself enough at this stage. Everybody is encouraging me to go after my dream, but there's that fear of the unknown in the back of my mind, and it's holding me back. I suppose I can study part-time and then see where I go from there?

Do any of you have similar dreams/hopes/career goals?

2. Jellyfish Clear

My dream is to become an astronaut. It is a dream that isn't the easiest to achieve haha. I understand the feeling of not having confidence because the subjects at school I need to study are stuff like physics and maths and I worry I am not clever enough to take them. However when I feel like that there is this quote I always remember from a Japanese manga called Space Brothers:

In a man's life, there are many doors to his dreams. For example if you have a big dream of going into space that huge door might scare you off, and make you give up on your dream. "There is no way I can open that thing" you'll say, but there is nothing to be afraid of because the truth is that huge door simply doesn't exist. Really there are just lots and lots of small ones.A door to growth, a door to discovery, a door to victory, a door to applause. You'll find them and many more. And with each little door you open step by step your dream will come true. To realise that dream there is something you must do. No matter how hard it may be you gotta keep reaching for the next door. Keep doing that and before you know you could be floating in space.

But good luck! I would say go for it. You only live once and I believe you should do what you heart wants and live without regrets.

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

You could do some volunteering at an animal shelter or train center on your days off work and see what it is really like. There are courses you can take, but you could also train on the job if someone was willing to train you. Animals, especially dogs, seem to know who wants to be around them and are more friendly towards them. If you end up not liking it as a job, you don't have to continue, you could work with animals as a hobby if that's better for you. When starting a new job, you sometimes start on a lower pay and have to make sacrifices, but if you keep at the job you'll soon be earning more money. Perhaps talk to people who quit a job that was okay to follow their dream and that might gain you some confidence about claiming yours.

I'd really like to be a teacher. But working around 3,400 hour a year to only be paid for 222 hours of that seems really imbalanced [not just the money, but it seems like a lot of hours]. I know people go on about the extra holidays, but I still have to mark books, make lesson plans and go to meetings in that time. I mean, if it was my dream job, I'd love to work in parliament for the education sector, but I think I actually need to be in education teaching side of things first. I'm 18 so doing work experience next year, uni September 2017 and then doing a teaching course to get into that.

4. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If it's something what you feel passionate about and what you want deep down in your heart, and the way you describe it I'm pretty sure of that, you won't fail because it's something you're meant to do and the Universe will help you. The Purpose of Your Life - Your Life Mission
    Or look at it this way: there are lots of people capable of doing normal office job but just a few with natural talent for working with animals like you have; and if someone has such a rare gift they should not waste it, don't you think? (*hug*)
    Btw being in the same boat I actually know that fear but the more I thought about it the more I realized that I wouldn't be happy doing something else so in the end I decided to have faith and trust that I have the skills, talents and abilities to face all that lay ahead of me. :icon_wink

5. Misadori

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like a wonderful dream that you have to work with animals^^ I love animals too and nothing beats the feelin' of comin' close to a wild animal you never get to see everyday:grin: When I was in Australia, I got to pet kangaroos, feed and hold wild Rosella parrots^^ In Edinburgh I got the chance to hold a pilgrim falcom and a brown owl for a fee and last year I got to hold two Ara parrots and a boa constrictor around my neck^^
    When I was younger I dreamt of becomin' a zookeeper so I could come close to the animals there like seals, lions, gorillas, wolves and so on. Although, I do feel sad about the animals in their shelters:/ So I change my mind and wanted to become a vet assistant instead:grin: Could some of those jobs be somethin' that you might like? I do like Secrets5's suggestion about animal shelter:grin:

I agree with your thoughts about dogs. It is said indeed that dog's is human's best friend and specially that they don't judge. A dog doesn't care if you're gay, lesbian, transgender, want to come out or so on:slight_smile: They like for who they are, that you're his/her master/mistress^^ I've always wanted a dog or a parrot if I wanted to buy an animal and ever since that dogs doesn't judge for who you are crossed my mind I became even more interested(A)

I've found more or less what I want to work as in my life:slight_smile: I may not have straight A's or been the brightest pupil in my class, and I haven't been interested of havin' a position where leadership involves. Not becomin' a boss, run my own company and so. But there's one thing that I dream of: To be able to inspire others:slight_smile: Ever since I was a little kid I've dreamt of becomin' a cool world famous artist, sings song and travel around the world. I don't possess a great singin' voice like Alicia Keys, Christina Aguilera, Hayley Williams, Jen Ledger, Jon Bon Jovi (I could go on and on here:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) Neither have I master the bass, the violin or any instrument too so I can't create music. I would be able to stand on a stage, tellin' a story or do somethin' entertainin' with a message that I wanna give to my audience:slight_smile: Why not a story of a guy livin' with a secret and wants to reach out or how hard a life can be sometimes with all the oppression around us? Inspire people^^ It would be nice to be famous in that way and inspire other at the same time. But which moviestar or artist doesn't do that already nowdays, haha?:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. aussielefty

my dream is to never ever ever ever ever ever have a 9-5 job.
    I always wanted to work in the music industry of some sorts and do a lot
    with my local community fm radio station (in australia ).
    love being in bands writing songs and live gigs..

music is my life and I will always be a night owl and hate hate hate stupid early ie
    4 or 5 am kind of stuff ,thats when I usually go to bed !!!!
    I think my dream would be to have a fully decked out proper recording studio

7. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Based on what you described, I think that deep down you belong alongside the animals you care about. This is not an absurd aspiration; it is in fact completely attainable. As others said, take it one step at a time. Find a place to volunteer. Look for colleges or certifications which help with your desired career path. Just don't, as Jellyfish Clear said, be scared off by the huge door.

Personally, I wish to be a filmmaker. I was inspired at a young age by heroes on screen such as Batman, Sherlock Holmes, and Doctor Who. Especially the last. I would not be the same person I am today without them. Also, I have tremendous appreciation for film as an art form and am deeply interested in the psychology of it all (i.e. high caliber acting). It is an extremely competitive career field, I realize, but I'm not one to give up.

My dream come true would be a modest life which allows for lots of traveling and business with making films, always working toward the goal of inspiring someone in the same way that I was. I don't want to be rich or famous; I just want to make something beautiful.

#7 Kodo, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  8. ForeverMe

I've always loved animals and had a "way" with dogs. Animals have always seemed to understand me in a way humans do not. I would love volunteering at an animal shelter when I am older (I looked for an animal shelter or adoption center to work at this summer, but all of the ones that allow people my age are too far away), but I cannot work with animals for a job because my family would be disappointed. I also believe that going into a profession that makes more money and giving most of it to charity is a better cause than choosing a profession that I enjoy. Weird, I know, but my parents are immigrants who were very poor at one point and have drilled into me the importance of being okay with the lifestyle that comes along with my job. A job that makes more money could help me help more people through charity and not have the money trouble that my parents used to face. Fortunately for me, I like mathamatics, as well as coding and robots. That means that I can go into a profession that makes more money while still doing something that I enjoy (and still have extra for charity and taking care of my family).

9. PrettyinPunk

I think you should pursue your dream, at least give it a shot and see how it works out. Unless you find a specific area in that line of work; you probably won't be making millions. Imo if it's your passion, and makes you feel happy, and fullfilled, it's worth it. As someone else stated maybe you could do some volunteer work in your spare time. Also do plenty of research in the specific field. Whatever you do just remember you got one life, you should live it doing what you want.

I'm in the process of trying to accomplish a career dream myself. I'm struggling a little but I'll get there eventually. I have other major dreams and goals I want to complete. In fact many people would say it's a little much or crazy. I don't care, I have a lot I want to achieve, and I'll do it no matter what.