1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making new friends in a new city

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RainbowGreen, Jun 11, 2016.

1. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi EC,

I've been thinking about doing this thread for a while now, so I guess I should just bite the bullet and do it. I'll be moving out next month in a completely new city in which I have no friends/family. That's what I did two years ago, but my attempts at making friends before school started were not as successful as I would have hoped.

Seeing as I'm a young adult, how could I make new friends before university starts? Last time, I went to a group for minors, but now that I'm over the age of majority, this option is out. I've been thinking of joining a swimming club, but I suck at swimming (and I don't have much money either).

Do you have any other ideas that I could try? The city I'm moving to is small (200 000 of population), but is next to a bigger city (900 000 of population). I would like to meet people of my age, preferably.

If someone can describe their own story of how they made friends in a new city, I'm also open to that :slight_smile:

(If this thread is in the wrong section, feel free to move it, but I saw Chit Chat as the most appropriate place)

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How longare you in the new city before school starts?

The only things I can think of are: explore the city, do a bit of volunteering, and wonder around campus and hope you bump into somebody?

That's all I got really :/

3. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I was planning on exploring a bit either way :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'll be there for about 2 months before it starts.

4. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in a similar situation! I just recently moved almost 3 weeks ago! I would just do some exploring around! That's what I'm going to do and hopefully I can make a few new friends! I hope the same happens to you!

5. Misadori

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cheeeez, I wish that I could come up with great hints'n'peeks:S All I can remember is that I'm bein' myself and that it just happens. I believe it's a quote from the movie Dragon Wars: D-War where a guy says this in the movie: "There's an old korean sayin' that the unpredicatble meetings ties the strongest bonds." It's true:slight_smile: Six years ago, I traveled to Toronto and was goin' to live and do an unpaid internship there for 2½ months. I had no idea of how it's gonna be since I had noone that I knew down there. It didn't took long enough when I got to know the people I lived with and also get to know other guys who has traveled to Toronto too^^ When those ten weeks almost had passed, I had to make sure that I get to meet up everybody durin' my trip so I could say goodbye to them:slight_smile: Makin' plans so I could go to everybody's restaurant visits, birthday celebrations and so on^^
    Sorry again for not bein' able to give clear hints of what you can do. But as everybody has told me, that's the only thin' I can say: Be yourself:slight_smile: And I hope that what happened to me when I came to Toronto will happen to you too.

Is there anybody that you stumble across and have small chats with? If you starts to realize that you're meetin' the same guy or girl at one place over and over again, try to have small conversations:slight_smile: Small chats goes to chats. And if you get along with this one, why not ask him/her to show around and tell that you're new in town?:grin: Perhaps you'll learn more from eachother and get to explore what the town has to offer^^