1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

choice?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by diegon3, Mar 4, 2009.

1. diegon3

I overheard my teacher and some classmates talking about this but i didn't want to join in cause no one knows i'm gay and my school can be very conservative

but i heard them saying that they say that homosexuality is a choice that were not born that way

but i do feel that i was born this way and I had no real choice in it (unless i wanted to be unhappy)

what would anyone consider in this situation a choice or just born that way and why

2. Alex19

choice my ass. did they choose to be straight? i dont think so. sexuality is not a choice- i believe this with all my heart and soul.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The way I put it is this.

I did not choose to BE gay. I'm attracted to guys. That's part of my wiring. That's not a choice. However, I DID choose to LIVE gay. I could have chosen to ignore that part of my programming, and date women, maybe marry, and have children. But that would most likely set up me, my wife, and my kids for a load of hurt down the line. Instead, I made a choice to live by my programming. To date guys, have sex with guys, and settle down with a guy. And that's made my life fantastic. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. tazz

tazz Guest

Pick a day of the week and ask them to be gay on that day...when they say "no" or "we cant" then reply with "...but I thought it was a choice"

You can also ask them when they chose to be straight? And whether or not the general consensus by scientists/psychiatrists who agree that homosexuality is not a choice are wrong...is it all just a big conspiracy?

5. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

It's easy to blow them apart, I'd ask them how they could logically come to the conclusion someone has chosen to put themselves in a minority group that suffers from bigotry, hatred and homphobia on a daily basis, that doesn't have the completely same rights as others, that are persecuted and killed in many places around the world.
    Who would logically 'want' to put themselves through the hell of 'coming out' and not being sure of who you are..

They would be my way of .getting the point across about it not being a choice

6. tazz

tazz Guest

and just to add, you don't have to let them know you're gay either...if they accuse you of such then maybe saying something like "listen...I'm not gay but I'm not stupid either" will get the point across

7. gaius

gaius Guest

just a thought but if it was a choice, why would we choose all the hardship of coming out? im not gonna start a rant.......but ill have one in my head ready

8. antarranger

Even if you tell those type of people the logical truth they don't tend to listen. It is in no way a choice does anyone remember chooseing?

9. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

It's absolutely idiotic, but for some reason a lot of people still think homosexuality is a choice. Once, my ex stepbrother talked about a guy at his school being openly gay and my stepmother (at the time) said 'that's impossible, guys that age can't be gay, that's a decision they take later in life'. I had to stifle a laugh.

10. gaius

gaius Guest

a funny joke between me and my brother (who knows) is when my mum tells me i can't lie about anything, we have to try not to laugh!

11. Ryn48

I agree with Lex- no one can choose who they are sexually attracted to- but we can choose whether to ignore our feelings or ignore society.

12. Emberstone

the only choice i had was to keep lieing to my family, or tell the truth to them about my sexuality.

13. Twentysomething

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I can't believe that some people still think sexuality is a choice.

I just recently found this Youtube clip that had an interviewer asking random people whether they thought people were born gay or choose to be gay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S14VRjVDPcs

It's funny how quickly some of the people realize how it doesn't make sense to say that people choose to be gay.

14. Greggers

I have to admit, it would be hard to accept that gay people dont choose to be gay if i was a heterosexual person living in a place were you never encounter homosexuality. If all you see is the news clip or two on TV every few months, then how are you to know any better? I have to feel sorry for these people who dont personally know any gay people. Its not there fault really, i blame ignorance.

....but as soon as you meet a REAL gay person, you have to be fucking ape shit retarded to think that it is a choice. I mean, honestly. COME ON! I dont go to your house, take a SHIT on your face, and tell you that you chose for that to happen. Does someone CHOOSE to be born into a poor family in the middle of Africa with no food, water, clothing or shelter? "You stupid African people choosing to be born poor" is what i should honestly start saying that to anyone who has the stupidity to tell me that i CHOSE to be this way. Look me in the eyes and tell me that please, dont sit safely away inside my TV and tell it to me because thats what cowards like that Focus on the Family fuck do. Its the stupid inter-breeding rednecks who are all closet case homo's or ex-gays saying that its a choice. "Oh look at me i choose not to be gay, until the weekends when that man i pay to join me in the vehicle comes along, but after that i choose not to be gay again!"

*ahem* er, yes. Im quite the little lady. :slight_smile: All done ranting...

15. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

This was from a really good documentary on religion and homosexuality:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKExZKfgx9s[/YOUTUBE]

16. Stuie

I love that video. It's so true.
    If you watch some of the videos that it links to though, it's scary!
    This one guy believes that feminism causes people to be gay. "If the mother wears the pants in the family, the sons are likely to wear a skirt." GET REAL!
    Who says we replace his entire wardrobe with dresses and skirts?

17. Peter

Fifty years ago, they were still people beating children to teach them to use their right hand. Apparently left-handed people chose to be left-handed - either that or they were under the influence of Satan. Stupidity moves on.

18. EM68

That was soo funny and true. I got a good chuckle from it.

19. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    im gonna hold my hands up and admit it i did used to think homosexuality was a choice

But believe me getting together with my female best friend deffinately wasnt part of my plan lol it was only until i realised that i couldnt help my feelings that i understood it wasnt a choice and now i cant believe how stupid i was people cant help who they are and they shouldnt we should be proud

20. azrae1

azrae1 Guest

i believe that we all became gay because of our surroundings , people , friends, family , work , stress , school ,job etc... and not choice , i my self didn't choose to become gay